Hair Transplant

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
PolarBear:

with all due respect, what are you thinking? Do you think that Drugs are a permanent solution and hair transplant is not? You're right. if one was to get a hair transplant, they'd need to get it again, and again. But when you take drugs you will have to take it again, and again. So that means, since I am only 24, that i will be on the damn drugs for 50 years!!?? The average life expectancy of an american male is 77 years of age, right? so i will be on it for 53 years? I can't possible see how that is better than spending 20k on 3 transplants that i won't have to ever worry about.

am i missing something hair?

PolarBear

Reaction score
Sincerely, I don't know RecedingBoy... I guess we are both right. Every option has its own pros and cons.

Except maybe that there is also one more option: to hang on drugs while waiting for a real cure. Who knows what will come in next 5 years, not speaking in 10 years... and maybe these drugs will be more perfect, with less side effects and - maybe - permanent. Who knows?

If you choose a hair transplant - just be aware of one thing: in that case you shouldn't sorry for your money because the more you pay, the better it will be. Every rule has its exceptions, but generally this is it.

goodluck

Norris

Reaction score
Has anyone had a hair transplant with DHI?. Their "No touch " Technique is similar to Doctor Woods and Gho. It's non scarring.

pete2001

Reaction score
DHI's no touch technique is not like Woods or Gho. It simply means using a needle to implant the grafts to gain added density. You'll still get a scar at the back if you go to DHI. I have been to them, December 2000. They do good work but the donor scar was poor (I have had it corrected since). You could do better with Shapiro or Dr Woods in Australia in my opinion.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
PolarBear:

I too wished drugs would work. But everything about your theory has a big fat MAYBE involved. You must admit to this. Everything is hypothetical, optimistic. I'm losing patience. I'm losing hope.

I think i will either get a rug or a hair transplant. Probably a rug for a couple years till i save/get the time to fly to Aussie.

And i know a lot of people on this site dog on rugs but guess what, NO ONE HERE CAN notice, really notice. Everyone here says how pathetic they are and how they can spot them from a mile away, but they are so full of shiet. have you seen *some* of farrell's clients? the ones that spend a lot of time on making it look real ARE succesful. keyword is effort. I already spend 30 mins a day doing my hair, so what will spending 20 minutes after i get a rug do? nothing. All that will happen is my fake hair will be fuller, and look better than it does now. And it will look better than most of the guys hair on this site. They crack on people with rugs, but a lot of those people look better than them. sorry for venting but i'm going through a rough hair period. also, i don't know if this finasteride is making me short tempered or not.

look at this site:

http://www.hairsite2.com/gallery/fhrjt.htm

PolarBear

Reaction score
RecedingBoy said:
PolarBear:

I too wished drugs would work. But everything about your theory has a big fat MAYBE involved. You must admit to this. Everything is hypothetical, optimistic. I'm losing patience. I'm losing hope.

Of course I admit to that. Remember, we here are all in the same boat. But I try to be as much optimistic as I can be, because if I start to think negatively I will soon go so depressed and mad... I know that feelings, and I don't wanna go back to them any more... or at least I want to drastically reduce the number of such days...

I think i will either get a rug or a hair transplant. Probably a rug for a couple years till i save/get the time to fly to Aussie.

I understand you. I guess if I was living in America, I would also consider that option...
Did you consider the option of shaving your head maybe? If you have well-rounded head and nice simetry of face and back of the head, this could be a very liberating experience... I do it occasionally, but I also keep on fighting to save those little black dots on my scalp. :)

And i know a lot of people on this site dog on rugs but guess what, NO ONE HERE CAN notice, really notice. Everyone here says how pathetic they are and how they can spot them from a mile away, but they are so full of shiet. have you seen *some* of farrell's clients?

I did. I was never informing that much about hair systems and hair-pieces, but I did heard of Farell's customers. Surprisingly enough, I didn't find any negative experience yet. I searched on hairsite's forum "User experiences" or something like that (it is in the text-version), and there were a lot of people explaining their (positive) experience with Farell.

But, I have heard that Advanced Hair Studios are very unprofessional company.

By the way, do you have to live near Farell's studios if you want to succesfully wear their rug?

the ones that spend a lot of time on making it look real ARE succesful. keyword is effort. I already spend 30 mins a day doing my hair, so what will spending 20 minutes after i get a rug do? nothing. All that will happen is my fake hair will be fuller, and look better than it does now. And it will look better than most of the guys hair on this site. They crack on people with rugs, but a lot of those people look better than them. sorry for venting but i'm going through a rough hair period. also, i don't know if this finasteride is making me short tempered or not.

My friend, I can understand both you and your doubts... and believe me, I know the feeling too of being so young (22 yrs) and looking so old. To me, solution that solves this is buzzing hair real short. It works very well for me. But I understand that this solution doesn't work for anyone. If I were you and decided to wear a rug, I would still do something for my follicles. I would still use topicals to keep them alive just in case if later I find that rug doesn't work for me or that it is to expensive to maintain.

BTW, look at this guy's story: http://members.tripod.com/~hair4me/

I went there and looked. This guy's system looks amazing.

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks polar bear. i know a lot of us are in the same boat. i'm kinda of depressed to be honest. i spend about a 100 times a day looking in the mirror. i don't live near a farrell hair place. i will have to fly to L.A. to get it done. i don't want to go anywhere else, other than the original place.

i'm also fairly young i'm 24.

about shaving the head, i am seriously contemplating this. i think that shaved heads look good these days, REALLY good. and especially if you're like me, you're just receding, not balding, it doesn't look bad. it looks worse when there are bald spots. but, even then it looks better than the alternative. but, to shave your head you have to be able to 'pull' it off.
your head has to be a good shape. i think the back of my head is kinda flat, i don't remember anymore cuz the hair is thick back there. if it is flat, it won' tlook so hot. also, usually it looks good if you are large framed and masculine. pretty boys who have shaved heads won't look good. i'm not very muscular so thats another drawback. i can work out but since being on finasteride i feel it has gotten harder to make muscles. i have gotten flabbier in certain areas. also, my energy levels have decreased although i do not know if the drugs are responsible for this. and then, what if i shave and it doesn't look good? on the bright side, i'm tanned skin. i'm a little fairer than vin diesel, but that guy in my opinion, as well as my girlfriends opinion looks really good with the shaved head.
this is a link to his new movie coming out, XXX:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145640 ... lines=true

Norris

Reaction score
Pete, that's very strange because I spoke to a lady from DHI a few days ago. I asked her if there was any scarring. She replied "NO",. Was your hair transplant by DHI the "No touch" method, or was normal strip surgery. Im going to go back on their site and read through it again.Maybe I have been mistaken. Thanks. Norris.

PolarBear

Reaction score
RecedingBoy said:
thanks polar bear. i know a lot of us are in the same boat. i'm kinda of depressed to be honest. i spend about a 100 times a day looking in the mirror. i don't live near a farrell hair place. i will have to fly to L.A. to get it done. i don't want to go anywhere else, other than the original place.

I also often look myself at mirror. I know it is a torchure, but I can't stop. It isn't narcsizm also, I just don't want to lose any more hair that now... and I want positive results with my regime. It's a big pressure, prolonged over many days...

i'm also fairly young i'm 24.

I guess our category is the most difficult, you just can't except that you are 20+ and starting to look so old: it is even more harder if you don't have a girlfriend yet, like me... I would struggle for my hair in thirties too, but I wouldn't care that much...

about shaving the head, i am seriously contemplating this. i think that shaved heads look good these days, REALLY good. and especially if you're like me, you're just receding, not balding, it doesn't look bad. it looks worse when there are bald spots.

My situation is that I still have all my hair (not receding or developing bald spot on the vertex), but diffuse (and believe me, this *sucks* too).
I guess buzzing down my hair is the only option, since I would have looked like a shiet if I had tried to make something of my thin hair. (I guess gramatic is a little bit screwed here :oops: )

but, even then it looks better than the alternative. but, to shave your head you have to be able to 'pull' it off.
your head has to be a good shape. i think the back of my head is kinda flat, i don't remember anymore cuz the hair is thick back there. if it is flat, it won' tlook so hot. also, usually it looks good if you are large framed and masculine. pretty boys who have shaved heads won't look good. i'm not very muscular so thats another drawback.

Maybe you should hit the gym and improve your muscles and your figure generaly. Also, working out helps you to calm down drasticaly.

i can work out but since being on finasteride i feel it has gotten harder to make muscles. i have gotten flabbier in certain areas. also, my energy levels have decreased although i do not know if the drugs are responsible for this. and then, what if i shave and it doesn't look good? on the bright side, i'm tanned skin. i'm a little fairer than vin diesel, but that guy in my opinion, as well as my girlfriends opinion looks really good with the shaved head.

You'll never know if you don't try. I am also very tanned, tall and muscular. I looked like a gypsy when I was born, hmmm strange... :wink: My head hasn't that perfect shape like Michael Jordan's or of other black guys, but it isn't bad either. I would rate myself similiar to Vin Diesel.

One more thing - it is very important, if you keep your hair short, that your face hasn't got any fat. You know, that fat that acumulates below the jaws? To me, that looks even worse than not-so-perfect head shape...

Just before I wrote this letter to you, I was watching his movie "Fast and furious". Vin Diesel looks very cool, but he has an awesome muscles. I guess that combination (shaved head + muscles) is working very well.

So long, PolarBear

crazydiamond

Reaction score
Norris

Exactly as Pete2001 said, it involves strip excision, and uses a syringe device to implant the grafts. You will have a donor scar, maybe what she meant was no scarring where the grafts are placed.

Norris

Reaction score
Pete/CrazyD. You guys are right. I have minor recession and after using Finasteride for 1 1/2 years, I have managed to stop or really slow down my hairloss. I wouldn't consider a transplant which would leave a scar on the back of my head. I spoke to Dr Gho recently but his method doesn't allow the grafts to be placed close to each other. Normal surgeons can place the grafts 1mm to 2mm apart. Gho reckons that for the transplanted hair to have the optimal chance of growing there needs to be a space of
0.5 mm apart, that would require 2 or three sessions.That would also be very nice for his bank account. Although Gho's technique is very similar to Woods he still refuses to place the grafts closer together. WHAT A CON. ... Although Gho is considerably cheaper than Woods, you would need multiple sessions........Money Money Money......... :evil:

sal1

Reaction score
Hey guys. For those of you debating on a hair transplant all I can say is dont do it if you're not sure. I did it and I regret it. I had crown work done. I had to get 3 sessions done and it still looks thin. Its better than what it was but it has not been worth the investment. And IT DOES LEAVE A SCAR on the donar area. Dont let the doctors tell you other wise. Its just a matter of how thick it will be. I have a large scar on the back of my head.

I used to cut my hair very short, but now I cant becasue of all the marks on my head. I regret my choice allot. Its been two years since my last session and I'm still thin on the crown. I expected much better results. Of course the doctor says I need more sessions to fill it in, but I dont trust the procedure in general any more. He wants to do frontal work also but there is no way. Folligen has helped enough with that.

Think about it.

morewood

Reaction score

Listen to the veterans. Stay away from the strip scar. As far as taking drugs every day, you have to take food and water every day to get the nutrients you need to survive. Whats the big deal with adding suppliments?

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
"supplements?' hormone altering drugs are not supplements buddy.

finasteride requires a prescription and is a serious drug.

G

Transplant only as a very last resort

Take my advice, only do a transplant if you have exhausted every other resource out there and then think twice about it. If only I had known then what I know now I never would have started......

Topman2b

Reaction score
Well there is clearly still the ongoing debate re hair transplant's and scars. Just to add my own experience on this and after having tried (and failed!) with Regaine (all strengths), various other regimes and then Finasteride for some 18 months I finally realised that the only permanent answer was and hair transplant, something I had tried to avoid as I didn't fancy the surgery but accepted that this was likely to provide the only permanent answer. Having decided that I then took the advice of several posters such as Pete2001 and others and their experience and also researched the web for other info and surgeons.
Eventually I settled on the one who appeared to have the 'safest' and most consistent record for first class results and that was Dr Shapiro in Minneapolis. I flew there last Dec and had just under 2000 grafts on my Norwood 5A. Now some 10 months later I am stunned at the results. Where there was no hair there is now excellent growth and a 100% visually better effect than before the hair transplant. The scar is now visually non-existent and with good laxity. Am I pleased? Is the Pope Catholic?!
Given my hairloss I will need at least two further ones like this to complete cover and density. And to top it all the cost didn't break the bank.
I was probably as concerned as most people considering an hair transplant but for me it was either that or basically nothing. My advice, if anything, is do your homework get as much impartial infon and advice as you can, talk to your bank manager if necessary and then make a decision.
I will update on further work I am planning to follow through with the above and will then post pics.

G

I had two hair transplant about 10 and 5 yrs ago. Turned out fine. No issues.

Do your homework, stay on a solid retention program and dont start too young.

Brucelee

RecedingBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Topman2b said:
Well there is clearly still the ongoing debate re hair transplant's and scars. Just to add my own experience on this and after having tried (and failed!) with Regaine (all strengths), various other regimes and then Finasteride for some 18 months I finally realised that the only permanent answer was and hair transplant, something I had tried to avoid as I didn't fancy the surgery but accepted that this was likely to provide the only permanent answer. Having decided that I then took the advice of several posters such as Pete2001 and others and their experience and also researched the web for other info and surgeons.
Eventually I settled on the one who appeared to have the 'safest' and most consistent record for first class results and that was Dr Shapiro in Minneapolis. I flew there last Dec and had just under 2000 grafts on my Norwood 5A. Now some 10 months later I am stunned at the results. Where there was no hair there is now excellent growth and a 100% visually better effect than before the hair transplant. The scar is now visually non-existent and with good laxity. Am I pleased? Is the Pope Catholic?!
Given my hairloss I will need at least two further ones like this to complete cover and density. And to top it all the cost didn't break the bank.
I was probably as concerned as most people considering an hair transplant but for me it was either that or basically nothing. My advice, if anything, is do your homework get as much impartial infon and advice as you can, talk to your bank manager if necessary and then make a decision.
I will update on further work I am planning to follow through with the above and will then post pics.

Hey, fer real, TAKE PICS, LOTS OF BEFORES, DURING AND AFTER IF POSSIBLE. it will help your fellow baldies tremendously!

Nelson

Reaction score
Cost

Hey Topman,

How much did you spend on your procedure with Dr. Shapiro?
Just curious. :lol: