Hair transplant without getting hair shaved

NeedMoreHair1

Reaction score
I'm a 27-year-old guy who has been following this forum for several years. I've decided to get a hair transplant, but have a little problem with that. I'm a lawyer and am in the courtroom everyday. While I could probably get 10 days off of work to get a hair transplant, I don't want to come back with any evidence that I got a hair transplant. I obviously can't wear a hat around the office. Also, having a shaved head after the procedure would make the hair transplant very obvious.

Can someone tip me off to what procedure (FUE v. Strip) and what Doctor could give me the best chance at coming back to work in 10 days with as little evidence as possible of having had a hair transplant. I really don't want to shave my head.

Thank you.

s.a.f

Reaction score
There are some surgeons that will do it without shaving down, but you're limiting yourself there. Either way even then you'd still really need more than 10 days to get away with concealing it completley.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I had both my hair transplant procedures done without shaving (bald + female, no thanks), and while I am overjoyed with my results they might have been better still had I been able to shave my hair down.

Even my surgeon, who is experienced in performing procedures without shaving, strongly advises against unless it's *really* the only option.

DirkNowitzki

Reaction score
Think up some clever explanations to tell your boss and coworkers for afterwards ... "I had a motorcycle -dirtbike- accident (which is what I used - or insert any type of 'accident' here), which is why I have to work with bandages (for the first month) followed by a baseball cap (or doo-rag if you can get away with it ) for the 2nd month. These are my doctor's orders." ... :whistle:

I agree that he should definitely allow the doctor to shave down the area.

However, it may be a little tough pulling off the cap or bandana look given his profession. :woot:

NeedMoreHair1

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, you just can't wear a hat or bandana around my law firm, let alone a courtroom.

It seems like Dr. Feller is one Doctor who does a lot of hair transplant's without shaving the top or donor site. Is this true of both FUE and strip procedures?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Are you sure? I've had 2 with Feller and he insisted on shaving even though my hair was pretty much non existant.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Are you sure about that for Dr. Feller?

18 months ago it was his inability/unwillingness to perform a hair transplant for me without shaving my head that was one of the reasons I did not chose him.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Dude, bite the bullet and shave it down. Like a previous poster said, you will have to look at the results FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! You'll want results that are as good as you can possibly get. Shave it down, do FUE, and hope that in 10 days the redness is gone enough that it can pass as you having just shaved your head.

Make up an excuse about how you have friends that shave their heads during the summer, so you decided to try it this year.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are transplanted into bald areas [i.e. NW3->NW2] i fail to see why you would need to shave down. of course doctors always want to do it cuz it keeps it out of the way, but you're not transplanting between hairs, you're transplanting to bald skin.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Rutt said:
If you are transplanted into bald areas [i.e. NW3->NW2] i fail to see why you would need to shave down. of course doctors always want to do it cuz it keeps it out of the way, but you're not transplanting between hairs, you're transplanting to bald skin.

Because the good surgeons will blend the transplanted hairs into the existing hair lines, otherwise you get a moat effect and strange looking hair.

As I said before, you don't *have* to shave but it's much more difficult and time consuming for the surgeon and technical team if you don't and you increase the risk of having a bad result.

neuromet

Reaction score
Does the shaving occur in the donor area, recipient area or both?

Would 14 days be safe (i.e., no more redness in most patients)?

This is for both strip and FUE, right?