Hair transplant questions -im not a noob!

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
i will be turning 28 in April. I have slowly been losing hair since 23. I am 27 now and it's starting to show a little bit. I have to grow my hair long to cover some of the balding areas.

I'd imagine it will look bad when I'm 31. So I have been thinking of a hair transplant. Here are my questions:

1. How many people here got a hair transplant and did NOT take meds? I know Eddie, from this site, got a hair transplant and never took meds.

2. Is 31 a good age? I am mostly balding in the crown area and a little temple recession (temple recession i dont mind)

3. Do I have to shave my head to get the hair transplant? I look ugly with a shaved head

Cheers

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Stabber said:
i will be turning 28 in April. I have slowly been losing hair since 23. I am 27 now and it's starting to show a little bit. I have to grow my hair long to cover some of the balding areas.

I'd imagine it will look bad when I'm 31. So I have been thinking of a hair transplant. Here are my questions:

1. How many people here got a hair transplant and did NOT take meds? I know Eddie, from this site, got a hair transplant and never took meds.

2. Is 31 a good age? I am mostly balding in the crown area and a little temple recession (temple recession i dont mind)

3. Do I have to shave my head to get the hair transplant? I look ugly with a shaved head

Cheers

1. You don't have to take finasteride after, BUT you non hair transplant'd hair might still be affected by male pattern baldness.

2. Age is not that big a factor, the general rule is you should get a hair transplant when your hair loss stablizes.

3. No you dont have to, but I believe it will be easier to receive a hair transplant if you shave your head.

s.a.f

Reaction score

Its only common sense to take meds unless you actually find the prospect of having to go back for more surgery in the future an attractive one.

Its a comprimise between how much hair you've lost and how sure you are that your loss is stabilised.

It depends on who you go to for your hair transplant. Most of the top surgeons insist that patients have both the donor and recipient area shaved for the procedure.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Well what I was thinking is using my existing hair to cover up the balding areas. I don't believe in taking a medication that has the capability to alter my testosterone levels. I'm a boxer and can't afford to be off my game.

My goal: To not have a monk looking hair cut with a big *** bald spot on the back of my head. I'd also like enough hair on top to look good short. I don't care if I look a little receeded. I have no delusions that I will have my hairline back from when I was 15. I think the back of my head is more important than anything

Sorry just rambling. Hopefully hair transplant/HM will be more advanced when I need it. I will also hopefully have money then.

G

Stabber,

The thing to keep in mind id that male pattern baldness is progressive. It won't go away as much as we would like it to. If you do not get on the meds, YOU WILL LOSE MORE HAIR, alot more. That's a scientific fact.

What Norwood class are you in? The more critical question is how extensive is male pattern baldness on both sides of your family history? If it is extensive, and you don't get on the meds, you are destined to have the same level of hairloss. It's your genetic predisposition.

It would be foolish to get a hair transplant without stabilizing your hairloss because several things can happen with surgery. You can end up shocking the weaker hair out in your crown along with the surrounding hair from the trauma of surgery. In other words, surgery can make the area worse and even a larger area of loss. Surgery in itself does not cure our hairloss problem.

Remember, the crown can potentially demand as much as 50% or more of the finite available scalp donor which does not leave much for the other areas that are going to lose hair over time.

Lastly, and to my knowledge, finasteride (Propecia) does not alter hormones. It does in fact inhibit Type I DHT, a metabolite of testosterone. There's a difference. DHT is produced from testosterone by an enzyme known as 5alpha reductase. IMHO, it will not affect your muscle mass. I lifted weights while on finasteride and it had no detrimental effect. Propecia is classified as a "specific hormone inhibitor".