Hair Transplant Or Not ? (photos Inside)

bariwi19

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello people,

i've been reading a lot of threads over here, and now I guess i gained confidence in the forum I will ask my questions. But before I will give u general info:

Hair type: fine
Density where I have hair: average
Problem: receding hairline (4A I guess) - Photos below

I live in Canada, and finally decided to take care of my hair. I started using Rogaine (recently) to gain a bit more thickness, but I am considering to do a hair transplant at Dr.Rahal's clinic. I might lose more hair in the crown (density is a bit below average) but I want to go very conservative in my approach as I think I might need another one when I get older (especially if I don't take care of my hair like I used to).

What are your thoughts of getting a hair transplant. I consulted Dr Rahal in person and he drew me a conservative hairline that matches my hair density (upon my request). So we concluded that he will use around 1300 GRAFTS (FUE) to do a touch-up/hair transplant.

1- What are your general thoughts and are my expectations reasonable?
2- Any feedback about Dr.Rahal ? I sent some photos to Dr.Hasson&Wong (without details about my expectations), the clinic recommended me not to get a hair transplant: "Your final pattern of loss is aggressive and your donor reserves are limited. It would not be in your interest in their opinion to have a procedure".

Photos below: taken before and after shaving (so it might look longer on some photos).
Photo #4 is what we agreed on Dr.Rahal and I.

Thank you !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 823
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 818
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 710
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 768
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I think the general consensus regarding hair transplants is that medication is mandatory. Therefore, I think it would be wise to use finasteride first (for a year or two) until your hair loss is stabilized and then perhaps opt for a hair transplant.

I'd also like to add that there are some very realistic ''hairpieces'' that you could opt for in case you're not a good candidate for a hair transplant.

Thirdly, isn't 1300 too low? I guess I'll have to wait for others to comment.

Good luck.

bariwi19

My Regimen
Reaction score
1300 might be a bit low but I guess It would be good to to be continuous with the density of my hair. Also it is not low for the price he asked for...

Anyways, Thank you for the reply, I think as a first step, I will continue my Rogaine (foam) treatment (which I just started 2 weeks ago) and I will consider PRP sessions to boost the growth/"re"-growth. I don't really have a complex with having a receding hairline, I always used to have a large forehead since I was young. Moreover, I will continue to shave my hair at very short length since it doesn't look nice on me otherwise (whether I have a full hair or not).
I was losing my hair for the last 3-4 years, so I still have hopes to regain some of the lost hairs (I can see very very thin and short hair when I zoom into my scalp).

What do you think?
Thanks again

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. But why aren't you adding finasteride to your regimen?
I'm not sure if PRP is worth it either, considering the huge cost

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@bariwi19

Most of my friends regret having a hairtransplant, and many guys my age (late
forties), often do it.

It isn't cheap.

Your doctor is right. I would just continue to use medications if I were you.

What will happen is your ENTIRE SCALP will be transparent.

So, basically you would be in the same situation as someone who shaved their head.

It's better to grow longer hair, as a bald guy, MINUS the comb over, because that NEVER FOOLS
ANYBODY.

SOME GUYS DO LOOK GOOD WITH A SHAVED HEAD, BUT ONLY MUSCULAR OR OVERWEIGHT
GUYS CAN PULL OFF THAT LOOK
(In MY OWN OPINION).

Sorry, but you have a similar physical appearance that I do. It's not muscular (or not at least in the
pictures).

Doctor's make very good money on hair transplants. If they are telling you no, it's probably
a sure thing.

bariwi19

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not really into finasteride at young age, I don't think it is a good idea due to its possible side effects and irreversible symptoms sometimes. That's what I am reading on forums. But I am not taking risk.

For PRP, well I read and saw some results that it boosts the regrowth. Doing it twice every year (which is a lot i guess) will cost me less than a hair transplant (1300 grafts) for the next 7 years cumulated.

I will also improve my lifestyle by eating better and doing sports (basics). I will finish my eng'g degree soon, so i'll be good :)

Thanks!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@bariwi19

I'm happy for you.

Listen, I completely understand. When I was your age, I only used Minoxidil.

In fact, I was in my early forties before I even considered trying/using Finasteride.

To each his own.

If I were to go back in time, I would take it after I had my kids, at a much earlier age.

But, everybody is different. Some people get side effects. Some people don't.

Best of luck to you.

bariwi19

My Regimen
Reaction score
@bariwi19

Most of my friends regret having a hairtransplant, and many guys my age (late
forties), often do it.

It isn't cheap.

Your doctor is right. I would just continue to use medications if I were you.

What will happen is your ENTIRE SCALP will be transparent.

So, basically, you would be in the same situation as someone who shaved their head.

It's better to grow longer hair, as a bald guy, MINUS the comb over, because that NEVER FOOLS
ANYBODY.

SOME GUYS DO LOOK GOOD WITH A SHAVED HEAD, BUT ONLY MUSCULAR OR OVERWEIGHT
GUYS CAN PULL OFF THAT LOOK
(In MY OWN OPINION).

Sorry, but you have a similar physical appearance that I do. It's not muscular (or not at least in the
pictures).

Doctor's make very good money on hair transplants. If they are telling you no, it's probably
a sure thing.

Yes thanks for the answer, I am not really having a big complex, I should workout my body though (lol).

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@bariwi19

I wasn't trying to be a dick, so please don't take offence to what I'm saying.

It's just that you have a "thin" body type, similar to mine.

You don't have to shave your head, or cut it really short. In fact, you might want
to consider growing the back and sides longer (at least an inch, or two).

Girls don't like comb overs (four hairs covering a bald area).

That said, a lot of guys, like myself, look better with longer hair on sides and
back.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not really into finasteride at young age, I don't think it is a good idea due to its possible side effects and irreversible symptoms sometimes. That's what I am reading on forums. But I am not taking risk.

For PRP, well I read and saw some results that it boosts the regrowth. Doing it twice every year (which is a lot i guess) will cost me less than a hair transplant (1300 grafts) for the next 7 years cumulated.

I will also improve my lifestyle by eating better and doing sports (basics). I will finish my eng'g degree soon, so i'll be good :)

Thanks!

I dont think you'll find PRP to be worth the money. Also lifestyle and diet will have no effect on male pattern baldness

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont think you'll find PRP to be worth the money. Also lifestyle and diet will have no effect on male pattern baldness

I think hes just saying he wants to physically improve himself all around. PRP is a crap shoot. Honestly Ive read more success on women than men oddly. Maybe the follicles dont die as often or rapidly with women as men so its easier to reinvigorate them?
I would tell him to try it and report back. Ive always wanted to do it.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I think the general consensus regarding hair transplants is that medication is mandatory. Therefore, I think it would be wise to use finasteride first (for a year or two) until your hair loss is stabilized and then perhaps opt for a hair transplant.

I'd also like to add that there are some very realistic ''hairpieces'' that you could opt for in case you're not a good candidate for a hair transplant.

Thirdly, isn't 1300 too low? I guess I'll have to wait for others to comment.

Good luck.

i agree 100%.
basically if you don't get on Finasteride, and you have the best transplant in the world, it will look good for a year maybe.
then you will lose the rest of your hair, so the hair that was transplanted will stay there, but the crown will go slick bald. it will look ridiculous, you would have to get a 2nd procedure and hope you have enough donor.
with 1300 grafts you would end up with a head covered in wispy hair. it would look worse than a hairy foot.
that is why the good clinics have refused you a hair transplant.

without finasteride your options are - rock the sly look, get SMP, or get a system.

sudhirkumar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I should we cannot choose for hair transplantation because of its side effects and the natural way or homeopathic treatment is the best for hair loss treatment.

sifu85308

My Regimen
Reaction score

As far as worth the money, diet and exercise is the very best thing you can do for your male pattern baldness.

Although a different topic, prices for PRP will come down, I promise. It's a relatively straight forward and low cost procedure for doctors.