hair transplant in NYC, 8000 dollars good enough?

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
I'm really confused about hair transplant. I thought I was gonna get it next week, but after reading some of the posts here, I'm a little scared about the clinic I've been to. Most people here disagree with MHR or Bosley. I've been assisted to some private doctors from this site, but I'm confused about the whole process, I just don't want a bad hair transplant, I'm scared to death about hair transplant going wrong. Is the hair transplant practice common enough for Dr.s, that it's 99 percent all the time?

I wan't the hair transplant. I really do. But am I just not informed enough about Dr.s and technology, that going to MHR is a mistake?

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have any uncertainty at all then that means you have not researched enough. An hair transplant is a crucial decision...postpone it until your sure that its what you want.

eastend

Reaction score
ineedhairnow said:
I'm really confused about hair transplant. I thought I was gonna get it next week, but after reading some of the posts here, I'm a little scared about the clinic I've been to. Most people here disagree with MHR or Bosley. [...] I wan't the hair transplant. I really do. But am I just not informed enough about Dr.s and technology, that going to MHR is a mistake?
Good god man, listen to yourself! You admit you're confused and that you're not informed enough, but you're about to go ahead with a procedure. You are about to become part of a statistic, and that statistic is the number of men who regret with everything they have that they made an uninformed and poor choice about hair restoration surgery. CANCEL YOUR DAMN APPOINTMENT. Do a LOT of research and a LOT of thinking, and figure out where your hair loss is likely to eventually end up, what your strategy is for attaining the most natural look you can as you get older, and which of the top doctors in the field makes the most sense to do your procedure(s). If you get nothing else from this reply, at least pay attention to the stuff in capital letters. CANCEL YOUR APPOINTMENT. Even if you put down a deposit and you can't get it back, forget it.

ineedhairnow

Reaction score
Yeah I'm confused. Ofcourse I'm confused. I'll always be confused about hairloss, that's why I'm here. I've done alot of reading here. I appreciate all your advice and owe alot to this site. But I don't have the budget for some of the procedures that many people recommend, FUE and the place in Vancouver. I don't think I'll ever be able to spend 30G's and up for transplant. I have 8G's that I've saved over eight years. And I want to spend it the best way possible. I can save maybe couple more 1000s, but I wanna know where I can get a good hair transplant.

I live in NYC, how many DR.S should I consult with? I don't wanna research for another year, since I'm losing hair faster than I've ever lost it before. Right now is the best time for me to get one. I'm not making an overnight decision, I've seriously thought about it for many years. But now it's coming closer to the date. I'm just second guessing it.

I will cancel the surgery if I find some place better. But right now its really hard to make decisions, when everybody here in the forum have different opinions about hair transplant. And I just don't know who to listen to.

Sorry if i sound weak, but it's a very sensitive issue, and I become a drama queen. It just sucks that I'm worrying about my head, when I should be concerned with other issues.

eastend

Reaction score
The part that scares the sh*t out of me is "MHR". I have heard nothing good and everything bad about that chain. You are confusing the need to get "a" hair transplant with the need to get the most convenient transplant. I've never had a hair transplant, so I'm not a victim, so don't take it from me. Do even 30 minutes of research and you'll find guys who regret making the wrong hair transplant choice, and to a man each and every one of them will tell you they would rather just lose hair than be disfigured.

Btw $8000 US will pay for a really nice procedure at a LOT of top docs!

First tell me, how many doctors have you consulted with? Here is a list of top docs and/or clinics, based on what I've read in this forum and over on Hair Transplant Network, and via many people's individual websites:

Dr. Epstein, Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Seager, Dr. Feller, Dr. Cooley, Dr. Charles, Dr. Rose, Dr. Keene, Dr. Hasson, Dr. Wong. These are ethical surgeons, performing all-FU transplants (yes they are strip docs vs. FUE docs, except Dr. Feller who does both, but if money is an object forget about achieving the same density and coverage with FUE as you can with strip for the same amount of $$$).

If you haven't consulted with at least one of those docs/clinics, or another doctor at their level, you're making a mistake.

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.alvi-armani-hair-transplants.com/

There are reputable surgeons such as alvi who perform strip procedure for around 3-4 dollars a graft. Spending 30,000 on a quality hair transplant are from the days of old. Do not listen to everyone who constantly bashes the strip procedure. Do the research and you will find that there are numerous cons to the FUE technique.

tvnyc

Reaction score
Transplant surgeon in NYC area

Get a consultation from Dr. Robert Bernstein of the New Hair Institute. He has offices in New York City and Fort Lee NJ. Get a copy of his book "The patient's guide to hair restoration" before or during your consultation and read it cover to cover - it will give you 100% facts and 0% sales pitch. His site is http://www.newhair.com. Dr. bernstein and Dr. Rassman literally wrote the book on follicular unit transplantation and have published countless papers on the subject in scientific journals. I met with Dr. Bernstein for a consultation in June after much research and much thought about my situation: (Norwood 5a) I scheduled my transplant on the spot after meeting Dr. Bernstein once, and had the procedure performed on July 13th. The procedure went smoothly and I was treated very well by the doctor and his staff. 1900 follicular units at $6.00 per graft.

Peterpan76

Reaction score
I am looking for a doctor as well in NYC.

I keep hearing that Armani is good

For Strip
Folicles Total Price
2000 6,000.00 420.00 6,420.00
2500 7,500.00 525.00 8,025.00

For FUE is like 20 grand. Whoa.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see your condition before i even opened up my mouth for any suggestions.

Here's what i'd do..

Buy a razor, shave the head bald (cost $1)
1 month tanning (cost $29)

Spend the rest on the wildest vacation you could ever imagine.

Luckybre

Reaction score
Ineedhair, do not go to MHR or bosley unless you want a very sparse hair transplant. Trust me, iknow, i used to work for them. Not in the New York office. Go to a facility where you actually can talk to a doctor, not the "salesman". Thats a good first clue right there. I can highly recommend Dr. Feller. I have also heard that Armani is a good doctor. And, no offense, but I'm not so sure I would recommend Hasson & Wong. They almost seem like they are turning into a chain gang company like the rest. I hope this info helps, please don't rush into anything. And if all else fails, i recommend peterpan's theory.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Luckybre's post was very interesting. I would be extremely interested to know exactly what he has seen while working at Bosley :D

Do some more research, for God's sake! This is a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life! Be sure you talk to the actual physician that will be performing the procedure. Be sure you talk to some of his former patients. Be sure you bring a LIST of questions that are relevant to the procedure. A qualified physician will welcome this and appreciate having an informed patient. I brought a list 3 pages long to my procedure!

Your post is pretty old, so I hope you did the right thing. There is a real wealth of information here, so I would definitely utilize the "Search " feature instead of relying solely on what is replied to in the thread you started. There is always room to learn more.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Transplant surgeon in NYC area

tvnyc said:
Get a consultation from Dr. Robert Bernstein of the New Hair Institute. He has offices in New York City and Fort Lee NJ. Get a copy of his book "The patient's guide to hair restoration" before or during your consultation and read it cover to cover - it will give you 100% facts and 0% sales pitch. His site is http://www.newhair.com. Dr. bernstein and Dr. Rassman literally wrote the book on follicular unit transplantation and have published countless papers on the subject in scientific journals. I met with Dr. Bernstein for a consultation in June after much research and much thought about my situation: (Norwood 5a) I scheduled my transplant on the spot after meeting Dr. Bernstein once, and had the procedure performed on July 13th. The procedure went smoothly and I was treated very well by the doctor and his staff. 1900 follicular units at $6.00 per graft.

Dr. Rassman did my hair transplant. Looks very natural, infact it's more natural than my natural hair... ha.. but I had an amazing amount of shock fallout afterwards.. Not his fault.. NHI does some very good work.