hair transplant - how many grafts to cover crown? Pics included

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys - just curious - i have been on finasteride for nearly 6 months and plan to stick it out for another 6 months but want to start looking at hair transplant (FUE) to solver the thinning on my crown. I know there are some educated individuals who have undergone hair transplants here who may be able to chime in - i'm looking to find out how many grafts you think i would need for my crown area. Any feedback is much appreciated

image on the right is from today

You have a little diffuse thinning still, but man you're lucky!! You respond well and have nearly a full head of hair. Just grow it out a little bit and you're good. An hair transplant is a horrible idea right now imo. Continue with treatments and you may never need one.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me rephrase this - In my personal opinion, if you get an hair transplant with that much hair, there is a 99% chance you will regret it. Just hang tight and be grateful for what you have and how well you respond to finasteride.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The photo on the left could use 3000 or maybe even 4000, but since you have had regrowth due to finasteride I would wait and see if even more comes in before looking at a hair transplant.

shookwun

Reaction score
Aren't a good candidate.

Crown takes to much grafts. What happens when your front starts to go and you don't have an adequate amount to harvest for restoration?

Hair looks very fine also.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The photo on the left could use 3000 or maybe even 4000, but since you have had regrowth due to finasteride I would wait and see if even more comes in before looking at a hair transplant.

3000 or 4000?? for the one on the left? No offense man, but that isn't good advice.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with the finasteride + add minoxidil will do more for you than any transplant

shookwun

Reaction score
Will gt turned down like Fred by many surgeons. Most surgeons won deem your situation optimal for restoration.

Best bet is those Turkish surgeons. They take anyone lol

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is that? That's the same procedure I had not too long ago.

because he would be burning up half his donor just to fill in a slightly thinning crown...

- - - Updated - - -

Why is that? That's the same procedure I had not too long ago.

because he would be burning up half his donor just to fill in a slightly thinning crown...

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
wait... this pic correlates with your hair density on the after pic in your first post?? I am confused.

shookwun

Reaction score
2000???

HELL no. that's a massive spot.... looking at easily over 3000. that's a big session.

JHeres the problem. YOu fix your crown, and you risk loosing all those surrounding hairs. from the pictures they look relatively weak and already on their way out.

Your entire crown, and mid area needs to be transplanted and reinforced. From what I can see only the hairline is still in tact.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2000???

HELL no. that's a massive spot.... looking at easily over 3000. that's a big session.

JHeres the problem. YOu fix your crown, and you risk loosing all those surrounding hairs. from the pictures they look relatively weak and already on their way out.

Your entire crown, and mid area needs to be transplanted and reinforced. From what I can see only the hairline is still in tact.

Exactly, I see the same things. 3000 could take him up to the weak area just forward of the crown which he needs filled in too. A good hair transplant should be able to do that. This is something that would end up looking good assuming he uses a competent clinic.