hair transplant experience with Dr. Rahal

Juz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, though I do post on some of the others. I have just had a procedure with Dr Rahal and I wanted to share it with you. Would love to hear your feedback.

Travel and arrival

After a long flight from Australia to Canada with delays and missed connections I finally made it to Ottawa on the evening of 13 December. Although getting to Ottawa was a nightmare, with my flighted being rerouted to go via Chicago, to via Montreal, then delays in Montreal due to the weather, getting out at Ottawa was a dream, my luggage was the first out then straight to the taxi rank, no waiting and straight on to Foxbar Guesthouse - which is accommodation dedicated to Rahal patients. All in all I think it took about 38 hours to leave my home, before arriving at Foxbar. I remember on the final leg of the journey there were two other passengers complaining as they'd been travelling for 13 hours - amateurs I say!

After about four hours sleep I got up and was kindly chauffeured to the supermarket by the proprietor of Foxbar Guesthouse - just another added service by the owners. There was one other patron staying here, but I never got to meet him, he left the day after I arrived and sleeping patterns weren't matching. I now have the guesthouse to myself I believe.

I had a pre-surgery consultation with Adrian and Dr Rahal which went well. They took pictures and had a chat about my expectations, what my donor density was like, and what sort of hairline to work towards.

From there I went back to the guesthouse and tried to relax, but I must confess I didn't sleep well at all, probably due to jet-lag as much nerves.

Surgery

Having had surgery before, including an earlier transplant at home in Australia, I was quite nervous about the procedure. I went in at 9am and Dr Rahal had a look at how many grafts we could get from my donor, the original plan was for 3,500, but Dr Rahal thought we should be able to get around 4,000. That surprised me actually as I had been told I don't have good scalp laxity and I have already had a 2,000 strip procedure. But I did the scalp laxity exercises for the last couple of months, so they obviously really work. In terms of hairline approach, Dr Rahal preferred to be conservative and go for a mature male hairline. He noted tha the previous hair transplant had left with a very sever widow's peak with no work done in the temple areas at all. He rounded out and we agreed to ithe design All through this process I found the Dr Rahal to be professional and accomodating, discussing through issues with different approaches.. Once the design was complete it was off to have more pictures taken.

Then into the chair, Mike one of the technicians (head technician maybe?) looked after me, taking my blood pressure giving me some relaxing shots (best part of the day!) and bandaging me up and getting ready for the strip to be taken out. Now - this is what really impressed me, I barely felt a thing for the strip and it seemed to happen really quickly and they did it while I was sitting up. Last time I was lying face down with no bandages that I can remember watching a pool of my own blood collect on the floor - a quite stressful experience, so I was very pleased and relieved with the ease in which this strip seemed to come out. From then on the strip was handed over to the technicians to cut up and everyone just knew what they were doing, they really had the system down pat - a world away from my previous experience where I swear the technicians were being trained on the day to cut up the grafts. I think there were around five or six people working away at any time.

The morning just seemed to fly by, I dozed and tried to watch a movie but couldn't focus, I hope I didn't snore, I am not snorer but drugs and alcohol certainly affect that. The clinic provided lunch, and then the afternoon was dedicated to planting the grafts. And I was more lucid for the afternoon which made the afternoon drag a bit, but i tried to doze. What amazed me was how fast and consistent the planters of the grafts were. Such precise work, but they didn't seem to let up at all.

The procedure finished around 7pm - and when I stood up I felt very lucid and normal, not dozey or woozy at all. They cleaned me up and Dr Rahal gave me a lift back to the guesthouse. I had some dinner and then the pain started, it was quite intense, but a quck call to Mike who advised on medications and what to do (he also consulted Dr Rahal) and we got the pain under control. I must admit I didn't sleep much that night either - probably a combination of the procedure and jet lag. Fortunately I could just jump oniine and chat to my partner and friends in Australia, watched a couple of movies, and all was good. The sleeping at a 45 degree angle isn't much fun, but it's bearable.

At the end of the day Dr Rahal also told me we ended up with 4,400 grafts - which is more than I thought I had in me, I was ecstatic about that result. I must remember to ask him how many he thinks I have left if I ever decide (or need) further work. I believe we got 65 to 70 percent density in the front, which is more than Dr Rahal originally anticipated. It always great to hear that things went better than expected!

First Post surgery check up

I went back in at 4pm for the first follow up. Mike cleaned me up and I couldn't believe how clean the graft work looks, there is hardly any blood or scabbing on the recipient area at all. My recipient area was a bloody mess after my first transplant, so this is what I was expecting. It was also the first time I got to see the hairline, which is the most rewarding aspect of this whole process. To me, it looks like what a hair transplant is supposed to look like day one, last time it didn't and I was concerned. Even looking like the Elephant Man with all the swelling seems normal to me. This time things look, to my mind, exactly as I would hope.

I am looking forward to the next twelve months!

I have added pics from the procedure. They include the a preop view, a pic with the hairline design, the final couple are from two of the procedure with a top down and a side views.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_5237.jpg
    IMG_5237.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_5520.jpg
    IMG_5520.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 518

joshua88

Established Member
Reaction score
4400 grafts on your forelock area only? :shock:

Seems like it'll have a lot of density.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Work looks great, keep us posted with pics.

How was your scar from the first procedure, Did Rahal close it up this time with a TRicho closure ?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am always aware of guys who show up in hair loss forums with posts like "Hey, look I just had a hair transplant with X surgeon" and post their pics, especially when those were taken at time of surgery.

Juz

Reaction score
@ Joshua88 - I know it sounds like a lot, but I have fine hair, so I needed that amount of grafts to get decent coverage.

@ HT55 - not sure what technique Dr Rahal used for the scar, unfortunately the previous scar was in the wrong position to be removed. The new scar that Dr Rahal created is already finer than the other one. To be honest the scars don't worry me too much as I rarely have short hair, but maybe one day I'll look into getting FUE put into the old one to make it more discreet. Will def keep you posted with more pics - I am on day 16 now and will take updated pics soon.

@ Captain-que - Thanks for the well wishes :)

@ thylax - I am not sure what you mean?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It seems kind of peculiar for me, someone to join a hairloss forum and actually advertise his surgeon in his very first post. Well anyway, the most important is to wish you good luck with your hair transplant. All the other dont matter so much. :)

Juz

Reaction score
I see your point. I guess I was excited, I've used this forum as a lurker for ages, but I have been a more active member of another hair restoration forum (from the time the results of my first hair transplant grew in). So I joined this one and cross posted, while I was recovering in Ottawa - to be honest it helped alleviate the boredom of being stuck in a guesthouse by myself. I also wanted feedback.

Thanks for the well wishes - I'll try and keep this post updated as the results come in over the next few months.

Juz

Reaction score
@ Zeroheat - Thanks for your comments, I have faith that it'll turn out well :)

@ Nene - I am 39, and haven't significant loss in the crown as yet. There has been some, but not enough to worry me as yet. I imagine that this isn't my last hair transplant though.

@ Anthony83 - not sure what the policy is of discussing cost in the public arena... I'll message you offline and let you know the costs.

Juz

Reaction score
On day 17 I had my partner shave my hair down to guard 3. Definitely improved the look of the recipient area but of course the scar area was more obvious. I've been applying some Toppik over the scar area which has worked brilliantly for keeping it hidden.

I was very nervous going back to work, most people haven't said anything if they've noticed. In fact I've been complimented on my new haircut more often than not.

Here are some pics from day 20. I apologise for the quality - we really must invest in a better quality camera.

It's so hard losing the hairs from the recipient area! But the hairline that Dr. Rahal created is still there at least, so it gives a shape of things to come!

The scar on the right side is healing well, in fact the scar already looks smaller than the scar from my previous surgery. However, we had a bit more of a problem on the left side and there is some shock loss on the left making it look worse. I was warned by Dr. Rahal that the left side was more of a problem. I think it'll be fine when the hair starts to grow back. I also notice I have a few grey hairs there! I am not sure how good all these close up photos are for your ego!

I think all is going normally, but it is a difficult stage and I can't wait to be a few months down the track.

Attachments

• leftsideday20.jpg
    leftsideday20.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 386
  • rightsideday20.jpg
    rightsideday20.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 370
  • scarbackday20.JPG
    scarbackday20.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 345
  • scarleftsideday20.JPG
    scarleftsideday20.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 330
  • top-day20.JPG
    top-day20.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 320
  • scarrightsideday20.jpg
    scarrightsideday20.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 386

hhotshott

Reaction score
Hi Juz!
Mate, I'm from Australia as well...just wondering why you used Strip over FUE? I've also had strip done before, however, I need a top up and was considering FUE this time? Its a hard decision as Strip did give me good results, but I never liked the idea of having the scar (although its not that noticeable)

Juz

Reaction score
Hi hhotshott :)

I went with strip again as I needed a lot of coverage and I didn't think the dr. would be able to get enough out with just FUE, and even if he could it'd be way more expensive. Already the scar that Dr. Rahal created is finer than the previous one (a gift from an Australian surgeon), it's just a shame that the old one couldn't be excised at the same time (it's in the wrong spot).

If and when I go back, and I only need 1,000 or so grafts I'd definitely go for FUE, just for less downtime and quicker healing if nothing else.

Did you have your FUT in Aus?

Juz

Reaction score
Apologies for the belated update. But here are my latest progress pics, taken as of today.

Attachments

• Front - month 7.jpg
    Front - month 7.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Right Side - month 7.jpg
    Right Side - month 7.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Front - month 7.jpg
    Front - month 7.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 417
  • left side - month 7.jpg
    left side - month 7.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 436
  • scar right side - month 7.jpg
    scar right side - month 7.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 621

Juz

Reaction score
Hi DTW,

I don't use any medication, no. I have used Regaine in the past, and still do periodically but I hate the idea of being reliant on any drug. My partner's mother was a pharmacist and she basically recommends staying for anything unless you absolutely need it to save your life. So, I've never been anywhere near Propecia. I'm 40 now, and my hairloss as slowed considerably in the last five or so years. There are some benefits to getting older!