hair transplant done! answers needed. please participate

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I did my hair transplant. I am NW2.5 and I will go about Nw1.5. It was a Strip Surgery with about 1000 follicles. The strip length is 20 cm (I counted it). What sounds questionable to me is that the doctor said that he transplanted about 4000 hairs (can this happen with only 1000 Follicles?). Of course he mentioned that he started with follicles containing 1 hair and he moved back with the other follicles. He stopped before the vertex. He has a good reputation and showed me examples. I have taken pictures and will posted them soon. He will reveal the gauzes tomorrow.

G

I don't see any way that he got 4000 hairs if he took only 1000 grafts. 1000 4-hair grafts? DOesn't add up.

But what do I know? You just had an hair transplant and if you can't answer your own questions about whether this is possible or makes sense, I think you made a big mistake. You should have done a lot more research before having one.

Still, hope it turns out well for you.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, that is very strange. I would say that he must have combined fU's to form 4 hair fu's, but then you are a NW2.5, which means most of them must have been 1 and 2 hair fu's. So I don't see how 4000 hairs is possible from 1000 grafts. On the other hand, a 20 cm strip is very long for only 1000 grafts. Normally 1000 grafts would only take about 10 cm's.

Normal FU's average about 2.2 hairs and range from 1 to 4 hairs and rarely 5 hairs. You must have received a bunch of larger grafts behind the hairline.

G

You can probably get the exact count by graft size from your doctor. It no doubt is in your chart. In other words, they shold be able to tell you how many singles, doubles, etc were placed in your recipient area. And a 20cm strip is extremely long to accomodate 1,000 grafts.

When you state "follicle", I think you mean "grafts" that were placed right? And I agree, the chances of you having an average of four hairs per graft is very unlikely.

Try getting further clarification from your doctor.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wait for my pics and you will see (I need to buy a digital camera)... :lol:

G

Did you ask them to pull your chart and give you the specific numbers?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only way I see this being possible is if you got micrografts containing several follicles, rather than true follicular unit grafts.

I hope you didn't get micrografts as that's old technology.

v-head

Reaction score
I'm with gillenator ... Ask for a breakdown of the grafts.

My Doctor, (Dr. Gabel) gave me a breakdown of my grafts... you can see it on my site (link in my sig)