Hair Transplant By Dr Koray Erdoğan

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be going for a hair transplant on 14th Dec at ASMED clinic flying from UK on the 12th.

Following initial consultation, I was told I would need approx 2500 grafts for hairline reconstruction.

Was given the option of either staying in asmed clinic or at the radisson Blue. I chose to stay at radisson blu and have booked an extra 5 days there following the transplant to give time to recover.

The only reason I chose to continue staying close to the clinic rather than going to the sultanahmet is because you can go and have your head washed at the clinic rather than doing it yourself!

I am going to be 28 soon and have been receding since the age of 16 or atleast that's when I noticed it. It slowed down significantly after 21.

I've been living with it so long I know when I'm going to recede before it even happens. How you may ask? Well I feel the areas of my hairline that is about to recede, tingle and itch. After that I notice that the hairline has gone further back. Usually happens once or twice a year now.

Been using propecia since September 2016 and yes I had severe sides but most of it subsided. Got used to lower libido, watery ejections and in general lower desire I actually found it a positive as now I can concentrate on work etc rather than think of women.

Jumped on belgravia minoxidil cream around the same time. I have stopped now because of the surgery and its not worth it anyway.

I will post pre op pics and a general update on 13th after pre op consultation.

Thanks.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have now completed my hair transplant at Asmed Clinic in Istanbul - Turkey & wow what an experience I have had I must say.

11th Dec - night before flight - Goodbye smoking, nicotine and buzz

Enjoyed my last cigarette as I was told to be at least 48 hours clean.. I was motivated, its a big deal a transplant and most if not ALL doctors agree on stopping smoking atleast 24-48 hours if not a week before operation and ATLEAST 10 DAYS post op. It is day 9 now and I am still clean, infact clean now 12 days... First few days weren't too bad, I was drugged with Xanax and morphine on operating day so didn't have anxiety triggers to make me want to smoke. however not going to lie day 5 onwards, cravings do kick in, I had some strong cravings when back in the UK around my usual triggers, even day 8 and no doubt this will continue.. I am determined never to smoke again though. so guys please don't smoke if your going to spend thousands on a hair transplant, don't let it control you, deprive yourself of this luxury comfort and eventually you will come out stronger as a human.

12th Dec - Arrival

When I arrived in Istanbul, one of the Asmed drivers was waiting outside for me dressed impeccably finished with a 10 out of 10 dark grey tweed blazer. He was holding up a digital name placard, a cut above the usual name placards written by hand on cardboard.

My first thought was, this is going to be interesting and a sweet experience and it was.. Jumped in a black Mercedes carrier, leather seats, stocked with soft drinks and nibbles to make for a sweet ride to my hotel - Raddison Blu Asia. He also accompanied me into check in which was great for support on translation etc.

13th Dec - Consultation

I was told I would be picked up at 13:50 for my consultation by a driver, this was funny because when I got in I was shuffling around getting all comfortable and then before I could even finish... We were already at the clinic, to my amusement, the clinic was only one corner of the street away and literally a 30 second walk or a 15 second drive. How amazing I felt with this level of pampering..

Upon entering i felt like this place reflect an apple business kind of theme, everything white and crispy clean with a male receptionist by the door looking like James bond with the thickest hair (way to make some feel special lol) and two main receptionists - Bahar & Dila, two pretty attractive women! Also noticed a pianist and a chelo (large violin) player just casually playing some very soothing sounds, reflecting again the level of detail and premium feel that Dr Koray resonates with in his work. My patient coordinator Suzana, came in to greet me and filled me in on all the basics and was very detailed, happy to answer any question and was super friendly, some of the best and most genuine feeling of service was received. At this point I was thinking how come everyone ive met so far are very good looking or shall I say 'guzel' people!!

I was then taken for blood test done by Volkan and then taken to get my hair washed and pinned back for photo graphs.. This is when the anxiety kicked in - getting exposed in front of a team of girls who were around washing heads, shaving heads etc. Not good especially when probably 90% of the staff in the clinic are girls and all were very good looking ones too lol.

Anyway back to the detail - following this and all the photos I was then taken to meet the famous man himself Dr Koray Erdogan - slimmer looking in real life, really focussed yet relaxed man who looked at me and started analysing, he said I had roughly 8200 donor capacity. He didn't speak much English however Suzana of course translated and told him I wanted a slightly aggressive hairline. So he drew away, after a couple of attempts I agreed on the design. With the desired hairline, Dr Koray insisted on temple point grafting even though I had temples, the idea was to reinforce these and to frame the face and protect the shape as eventually my natural temples may recede further. This required a total of 3000 grafts for the full work however originally quoted 2200-2500 based on photo consultation. Luckily I did come prepared with extra cash knowing I will probably need more grafts for a solid hairline.

Paid the cash and then to my surprise had to get my head shaved - thought I would get this on the day of surgery, this kind of ruined my plan of going out and about to explore lol but oh well got to do what we go to do. Dr koray then drew a new hairline, this time with more thought and each time he thought he was done he and a team of girls would be discussing it and then amending it and finally after few amends, I got to see it and I agreed with it.

My hair density was then analysed on some cool machine which went around my head capturing average hair count per graft which came out at 1.9 hair per graft which is ok, not the most dense but still ok.

I was given Xanax to take that evening and one in the morning in prep for operation and to calm nerves.

Operation day - 3020 Grafts

The day had come, driver picked myself and another two guys up at 7:10am, went in and got changed and kicked off straight away. I met Dr Umut as well who was the like drugs and pain killer guy, my arm was fitted with a needle and a waterbag, chest and stomach attached to cables for heart rate.

At this point anxiety hitting me only slightly due to fear of needles, which then to my surprise was told they are only the size of like insulin needs (around 1inch long) and barely any pain, more like slight pricks. Extraction took place, I was given an ipad so I decided to watch a bit of narcos. Xanax kicking in more so feeling very calm and pretty much pain free.

Following extraction we broke for lunch, after lunch incisions began, this was done by Dr Koray Erdogan. Admittedly I was in and out of conscientiousness at this point. I must have been drugged up heavily on morphine and other opioids - pretty much remember meeting him, joking around with him and that's it. I would like to have remembered him doing the actual incisions for it being the main part and most critical stage of the operation and not to mention decision factor, I don't all (my only complaint).. However its not a bad thing being asleep and wasn't too worried about this considering i was reassured and the job looked great anyway so no complaints there and fully trust the team.

The surgical team were a good laugh, I do remember having a few jokes with them whenever I was awake which probably wasn't much of the time, it pays to learn some of the Turkish language!

Woke up towards the end of implantation stage around the point when they had around 500 grafts left to place. This was done quite quickly and all in all everything finished by around 6 approximately. I was rinsed and bandaged up and then taken for dinner. The whole thing was blur pretty much and must say a good thing as it didn't feel like a long day.

Went back to hotel and went to sleep with a neck pillow given to me in an upright position.

Post op - Day 1

Went back into the clinic at 9:15am for a wash and photos and that's it really stayed indoors most of the time.

Post op Day 2 - 9

Followed the same routine as day 1, had to cream the recipient area with lotion for 15 mins or until absorbed and then washing with Sebamed shampoo. This was done in the clinic since I stayed close by and didn't return home. Crusting and cracks (empty lines in the recipient area) formed day 3 onwards which did worry me but was reassured all is finedry skin and swelling.

Day 2 - 5 swelling was insane!!! Looked like sloth!! Did not leave my hotel room apart for washing due to the sheer alien face I had - the swelling went to my nose and eyes to the point my eyes were almost close until day 5, it went down to my cheeks and so I just looked like a fat sloppy man until day 7 pretty much. Everyone I spoke to though I was genuinely just fat until I showed them pre op pics, what a rubbish feeling looking like crap!

Day 5 - present - Donor site pain as kicked in on overdrive, sore as anything! Alternating between paracetomals and ibuprofens to reduce the pain at the time of writing this - I can still feel pain! Avoid ibuprofen as it is a blood thinner, use only if advised by Doctor.

Today is day 9 and most of my scabs have gone. I noticed after washing today that on a very close up photo of my grafts, it seemed like there was some blood, although looking at the area in the mirror I couldn't notice anything. Got really worried so messaged Suzana but have been told it could be that the graft wounds are sizzling and therefore the wounds not yet closed off even though it should have by now but it does not mean grafts are out. So yeah, slightly worried today almost as much as I was on day 1-6 but apart from that theres not much to do but be patient and gentle.

Advice to anyone wanting to get a hair transplant -

Book a solid ten days off for post hair transplant if you work in manual labour or in a people facing role. This will give you time to sit at home let the swelling go down and just relax scabs fall man! If you are going to do it abroad in Turkey like me, then I recommend staying in turkey extra 5 nights, relax and heal away from your local scenes. It eases the anxiety especially if you are a smoker and have stopped, in general conscious about swelling etc and don't want everyone to worry when they see you at home.

If you are not going to stay that long, then you are better off flying back as soon as possible so as to avoid serious swelling before reaching your destination. Remember serious swelling kicks in post op day 3 for most including me but then again not for everyone but most.

Other tips - Download 'Yemeksepti' app - its like a deliveroo/justeat - order banging food from near by restaurants, whatever you want its all there and pay in cash upon arrival or card. Recommend adana kebab (mince kebab), bulgar pilav, tavuk shish (chicken shish), pastirma or sujuklu pide (Turkish pastrami or sausage pizza), doner meat etc and for dessert you have to try Kunefe or classic Backlava.

Please give me shout if you have any other questions or want to ask anything, I am hoping mines comes out well inshaAllah and will be placing another update in a few days once scabs are all gone... Just want 6 months to go already!

Credit to the entire team at Asmed who are friendly, smiling all the time and enjoy a chat. From the receptionists, drivers, clinical staff and Dr Koray himself. Patient coordinators are amazing, all available for every countries patients..

Official Stats

3020 grafts (paid for 3000)
actual hair density: 2.1 hairs per graft

Graft breakdown
Single 635 21%
Double 1736 57%
Triple 631 21%
Quadruple 18 1%
Total: 3020 100%
Pre op - Designs.jpg

Attachments

• Post op - Day 1 - Front.jpg
    Post op - Day 1 - Front.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • Post op - Day 1 - Donor Site.jpg
    Post op - Day 1 - Donor Site.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Post op - Day 9 - Donor Site.jpg
    Post op - Day 9 - Donor Site.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:

andrus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent detailed post. Are you able to share how much exactly you paid for it all?

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Day 14/week two complete! Not much shedding yet. Donor area still sensitive and bruised. Native hairs starting to grow quickly and therefore now starting to overpower transplanted hairs.back to work on the 2nd Jan, hoping the shed starts after then!

Attachments

• 15460141324781423288067791120565.jpg
    15460141324781423288067791120565.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 965

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Day 22 update. Shedding began noticeably on day 20 when I washed only the front of the hair that day, hair rinsed off like as if I had a haircut.

Today day 22 noticed around 10 hairs on my pillow all of which looked like the transplanted hair. You can now tell I've had a transplant as native hair begins to thicken with some shock loss to corners and transplanted area lightens to reveal reddish skin.

Went back to work on day 19 and It wasn't too bad although I was tensed up the whole day. Don't think many realised. Day 20 and 21 was so obvious but oh well. Will just have to suck it up, the pain of this ugly duckling phase (yet to get worse) that is..

See update.

Attachments

• 20190105_161720.jpg
    20190105_161720.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 811

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent detailed post. Are you able to share how much exactly you paid for it all?
You can work this information out for yourself by going on their website and then estimating your graft requirements.

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have my procedure booked Maverick. I need to be in Istanbul before 11am on 14th February and can leave after 2pm on 16th February.

I just need to book flights now which seems like a bit of a pain such short notice.

Do you happen to know how they handle the accommodation as in I can only get flights that arrive late on the 13th and leave early on the 17th so I'm wondering if they would put me up on the night of the 13th and the night of the 16th or do you think I would have to book another hotel for those nights?

Last edited:

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have my procedure booked Maverick. I need to be in Istanbul before 11am on 14th February and can leave after 2pm on 16th February.

I just need to book flights now which seems like a bit of a pain such short notice.

Do you happen to know how they handle the accommodation as in I can only get flights that arrive late on the 13th and leave early on the 17th so I'm wondering if they would put me up on the night of the 13th and the night of the 16th or do you think I would have to book another hotel for those nights?
Who is your patient coordinator? So you need three nights? Speak with your coordinator and let them know.. They may be able to sort it out for you. If not you can book a final night for quite cheap at one of the close hotels.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who is your patient coordinator? So you need three nights? Speak with your coordinator and let them know.. They may be able to sort it out for you. If not you can book a final night for quite cheap at one of the close hotels.
And how late are we talking? They should still be able to pick you up and get you checked in.

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And how late are we talking? They should still be able to pick you up and get you checked in.
Thanks bud. I've sorted it out with them. They said I can just pay some extra for the additional nights that I'm staying there.

Strange question I know but were you about to wear a cap or surgical hat that covered the transplant on your flight back?

My coordinator is Muge btw

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be going for a hair transplant on 14th Dec at ASMED clinic flying from UK on the 12th.

Following initial consultation, I was told I would need approx 2500 grafts for hairline reconstruction.

Was given the option of either staying in asmed clinic or at the radisson Blue. I chose to stay at radisson blu and have booked an extra 5 days there following the transplant to give time to recover.

The only reason I chose to continue staying close to the clinic rather than going to the sultanahmet is because you can go and have your head washed at the clinic rather than doing it yourself!

I am going to be 28 soon and have been receding since the age of 16 or atleast that's when I noticed it. It slowed down significantly after 21.

I've been living with it so long I know when I'm going to recede before it even happens. How you may ask? Well I feel the areas of my hairline that is about to recede, tingle and itch. After that I notice that the hairline has gone further back. Usually happens once or twice a year now.

Been using propecia since September 2016 and yes I had severe sides but most of it subsided. Got used to lower libido, watery ejections and in general lower desire I actually found it a positive as now I can concentrate on work etc rather than think of women.

Jumped on belgravia minoxidil cream around the same time. I have stopped now because of the surgery and its not worth it anyway.

I will post pre op pics and a general update on 13th after pre op consultation.

Thanks.

you wanna stop thinking about women at only 27 ? if you libido is like that now, it will be basically zero at 40-50 with decades of finasteride.. ?

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
you wanna stop thinking about women at only 27 ? if you libido is like that now, it will be basically zero at 40-50 with decades of finasteride.. ?
I meant not so crazy needs everyday.. And I'm hoping by 35 there should be other treatments.. If not, I'm coming off finasteride and will try things like RU/Brotzu etc. Either way il come off finasteride if I feel it's effecting me too much at later stage.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bud. I've sorted it out with them. They said I can just pay some extra for the additional nights that I'm staying there.

Strange question I know but were you about to wear a cap or surgical hat that covered the transplant on your flight back?

My coordinator is Muge btw
Hi mate, I stayed for a number of days post transplant so wearing a cap wasn't too bad for me. But we are given fishermen hats to wear if we wanted on the way back.

I would get a cap with an adjustable strap - loosen it at the back, place the front on to the forhead first and then place the back. Just place the hat rather than fit your head into the hat.

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate, I stayed for a number of days post transplant so wearing a cap wasn't too bad for me. But we are given fishermen hats to wear if we wanted on the way back.

I would get a cap with an adjustable strap - loosen it at the back, place the front on to the forhead first and then place the back. Just place the hat rather than fit your head into the hat.

Thanks mate. That sounds great. I'm sure your result will be great too.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
You asked me to take a look. This will work out very well in theory! Good surgeon, work looks class and nice hairline design. Just a question of your body responding now to all this. You may have some thinness in the areas where the grafts were spread out more, but this is behind your hairline and maybe your hair characteristics will come into play to help you or you can deal with the minor thinness some other time.
Thanks alot, I just got worried after seeing the Kyle Christie case.. I don't want mine to be like that!

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
4 weeks post op, never seen so much hair on my hand... Shedding alot.

Attachments

• 15472348830218514575467859454019.jpg
    15472348830218514575467859454019.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 967

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same for me at that exact time. It's depressing. I looked more bald than before I got it. Stay strong and patient though and it gets better. And don't compare your results to others at certain month marks etc unless it's after like a year. People on here will just be critical of them and will panic you. Remember people on here are 99.9% regular joe's like you and me.

gazzadasnail

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Maverick I wanted to ask you how did you pay for your transplant as in did you have to exchange money to euros and then take them over with you or something like that?

They said I need to pay a 1000 euro deposit and that I can pay up to 3500 euros on the deposit but I'm just a bit confused.

Maverick91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maverick I wanted to ask you how did you pay for your transplant as in did you have to exchange money to euros and then take them over with you or something like that?

They said I need to pay a 1000 euro deposit and that I can pay up to 3500 euros on the deposit but I'm just a bit confused.
Hi mate,

You must pay a minimum deposit of 1000 euros by transfer, however if you wanted you could transfer to them up to 3.5k euros and pay the rest in cash over there you can pay in pounds.

The rate is decent at the moment I would transfer as much as possible on while the rate is 1.125. The best way to transfer money is to sign up to revolut banking (Google it). They allow free sending or a low fee immediate sending of money and you also get the live rate on the market.

Download the app and sign up, send UK pounds to your revolut account and then from there send it to asmed in euros.

I paid €1k via revolut and the rest I took cash in an envelope in my hand luggage and paid in pounds.