hair transplant? but when to start?

speedo78

Reaction score
hello everyone

I am 27 and i started loosing my hair years ago. after 2 years of finasteride. i loss 2,5 centimeters ( about 0,80 inches ) each side of my frontline and a hole of 2cm in my vertex.

i start thinking of surgery but i wonder something.

If i start now maybe i would need 3 or 4 surgery in the next 10 years i can be depressive because of the amount of monney and because of the continuing shedding. Is it more preferable to wait until i loos 80% of my hair before starting à surgery?

Who did many surgery? who regret what he did?

thanks to all

G

speedo78,

It certainly does not sound like your hairloss is very advanced at this time. The interesting thing you stated was that since taking Propecia (finasteride) for two years you have also lost hair in the vertex area? That is where Propecia is supposed to be most efficient. It's very possible that it may not be working for you providing you have been taking it as prescribed.

Are you noticing a fair amount of shedding with lots of hairs on your pillow case, lots of hair in your fingertips when you shampoo, things like that? Have you noticed any diffusion (loss of caliper) of your hair?

Waiting until you lose 80% of your natural hair before you get a hair transplant is a personal decision on the part of each patient. BUT, if you are destined to lose 80% of what is on top of your head, you have to start asking yourself if you are even a candidate for surgical hair restoration. I mean what are the classes of hairloss from your family history? Have any of the men reached Norwood class 7? What other meds can I consider if Propecia is not working for me? Those are some of the questions to ask yourself.

Also, hair transplants can shock out natural weak hair due to the trauma caused to the scalp. The weaker and finer it is, the more chance that it will not grow back. And if you are not responding favorably to Propecia (finasteride), the shock level can potentially be even worse. So my point is that you would not want to advance your hairloss IF you have lots of diffused hair in the recipient area. :freaked:

IMO, you should not be doing anything surgically at this point. Rather, get some answers to those other questions and also get several opinions from reputable established doctors. There's no rush in this! Keep doing your research.

CCS

Reaction score
wait on the hair transplants

I totally agree with the eagle. I got my hair transplants because after 1.5 years it looked like propecia had stopped my hair loss. Maybe that was jumping the gun, but I like how I look now. Since yours is till receding in the vertex with propecia during the first 2 years when propecia is supposed to work the best, I think you have an uphill battle and should not get grafts. Is it a one i inch slick hole or is it covered with thin hairs? was the hole there before you were on propecia? You said you had been losing your hairs for years...how much and where before you got on propecia? An inch in one year is a LOT. Do tell us your family history. I feel for you man. Click on my user profile and read my posts on topical dutasteride. Also look at fluridil. Sompe people here think Spectral DNC is good, and I think they might be right, but I don't want to plop down an extra $35/month per month with the other stuff I'm getting. Fluridil is much better than spironolactone. First regrow your vertex and some of your front before you consider grafts.

And a very important point: If you just lost you hair in a year, the follicles may be alive still. Try to regrow them instead of permenantly killing them with grafts. Some of my shiny bald areas were bald 3 years and the rest about 8 years when I had my grafts.