Hair Thinning | Nw1 | Finasteride 1 Year Usage | Male29

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,
I started observing some shedding when I was 25 years old. At that time I didn't know what could cause it. I measure the rate of shedding by how much hair I would get on my hands at the time of shampooing. I'll write my experience and journey in following points.

1. Before finasteride: when I was 25, 2013, I started using a homeopathic medication called Alopacin. It would stop the hair fall in 30 days. The hair fall would return if I stop using it. It had sides like mouth ulcers. And I was very prone to them so I used to get multiple of sores. Didn't notice anything on libido. I cycled the alopacin three times and it did stop the hair fall every time but I had to stop using it because of mouth ulcers. I checked the ingredients, it had herbs but nothing like finasteride. I'm not a big fan of homeopathic but that med did work three times.
  2. Last year, 2016, in july I started taking 1.25mg of finasteride (1/4th Fincar from Cipla) and it did lower my hair fall from 10-15 hair each shampooing to less than 4. I didn't notice any sides. For me the finasteride would start working after 50 days. Now, I do lift weights. All natural though. Never touched steroids and probably never will.
  3. In october, I started seeing shedding once again even though I was on finasteride regime. I think this was the result of my cutting diet or lack of it. I was cutting fat without any planning on diet. My body was in atrophy and hair probably started shedding due to lack of protein in the diet. shedding was 10 hair per shampooing.
  4. In January 2017, I started following correct diet, added enough protein and hair fall stopped.
  5. In May 2017, I dyed my hair. I always had some grey hair. Hair dye was hydrogen peroxide based.
  6. I didn't notice any change in the hair fall for a month. Still losing 2-3 hair every shampooing which I believe is not bad. by this time I started seeing some baby hair in the shedding, do you call this a regrowth?
  7. August 2017, shedding is back @ 10 hair per shampoo. Started seeing some scalp after the shower.
  8. September 2017, all time high shedding @ 20 hair per shampoo. Hair are thinning at faster rate and I freak out.
  9. October 2017, I stop taking finasteride. shedding is still high. After a month I stopped taking finasteride, I noticed my vigor/libido increasing. So it definitely meant I was suffering mild sides of finasteride.
  10. This month, Nov 2017, Despite the hair fall, I haven't tried anything new. I purchased dutasteride but didn't take it fearing the sides. I always had itchy scalp (but no dandruff) so I thought of trying nizoral like shampoo. Purchased Ketocip shampoo by Cipla (because nizoral is ultra expensive here). I have used it only once and it did stop itching part.
  11. Nov 2017, I started searching alternatives to finasteride. Since 3-4 weeks I have been massging my scalp using my fingers. I also do scalp exercise by Tom Hegarty as I always had control of the required muscles. But I don't think massaging has made any difference on the hair fall.

• I'm not sure if I'm suffering from male pattern baldness because there's no receding of the hairline.
  • There's no history of male pattern baldness on my mother's side. However my father is like norwood 7.
  • I never had dandruff but my scalp would always get itchy 3 days after shampooing.
  • I have been under moderate stress for a year.
  • I'm thinking of adding minoxidil and finasteride solution to my regime.
Edit: photos deleted. Correct photos are below in the thread

Last edited:

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, why would you take finasteride if you haven't even seen any hair loss.

facepalm.jpg

Go be free and enjoy your life. No need to stress over this.

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus, why would you take finasteride if you haven't even seen any hair loss.

Go be free and enjoy your life. No need to stress over this.

Did you read the post? There's definitely heavy hair loss. I have never lost this much hair in so little time. Hair are thinning and I can see scalp. People around me saying same thing. The pictures are not correctly showing the problem.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you read the post? There's definitely heavy hair loss. I have never lost this much hair in so little time. Hair are thinning and I can see scalp. People around me saying same thing. The pictures are not correctly showing the problem.
Is that you on your ava?

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol no. It's a first image when you search monk on Google. I don't have good photos showing my hair loss because my hair are black and long. They hide scalp on camera.

"I don't have good photos showing my hair loss because my hair are black and long. They hide scalp on camera."

You f*****g retarded bro?

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
imbecile + degenerate

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is everyone so hateful? Does the extreme hair fall increase your cortisol? Or trigger MC in men?

IMG-20171123-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20171123-WA0001.jpg

This time I waited three days after shampooing to get correct images. As you can see my hair are black, long but not dense. Currently shedding is extremely high. At this rate I'll jump from NW1 to NW7 within a year.

Last edited:

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what would be the correct way to measure shedding?

You're thinning and/or shedding, first set of pictures was not that convincing, my apologies

Read this :
Hair Evaluation Methods: Merits and Demerits
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938572/

Dermatologists are usually doing the pull test to confirm it
"Approximately 20-60 hairs are grasped between the thumb, index and middle fingers from the base of the hairs near the scalp and firmly, but not forcefully, tugged away from the scalp. If more than 10% hairs are pulled away from the scalp, this constitutes a positive pull test and implies active hair shedding"

You seem to have a diffuse alopecia and you should go see a derm to confirm/refute it

Last edited:

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll see a derm sometime next week then.
Few things, I didn't mention before:
My father (60) who is now norwood 7+ started seeing hair fall when he was near 40. He had pretty thick hair till then (He used a lot of brylcreem).

Meanwhile, there's no info on the internet about the homeopathic med I used called Alopecin. I found an old dusty bottle laying around.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I'm not a big believer in homeopathy but that did work. Can anyone tell me which ingredient helps hair fall?

Last edited:

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I searched on diffuse alopecia. Few of the trigger are excess consumption of vitamin A, biotin, selenium and zinc.
I take a few multivitamin/minerals and they actually score all of the above in excess.
My vit A consumption is between 15000-20000 IU, biotin is 3-4 times more than RDA, selenium is 6x RDA and zinc is about 4x RDA. :eek::eek:
( all including food and supps)
I'll go ahead kill all of my multivits for a few months.

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's a diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia, vitamins and supplements won't do much, your options will be very limited, Big 3 -> Nizoral, finasteride and Minoxidil

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's a diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia, vitamins and supplements won't do much, your options will be very limited, Big 3 -> Nizoral, finasteride and Minoxidil

I'll buy minoxidil today. I read excess vitamins/minerals could trigger diffuse alopecia. Is diffuse androgenetic alopecia different from diffuse alopecia?

goingMonky

My Regimen
Reaction score
What should be ideal frequency of shampooing? Should I use hair conditioner because the ketoconazole shampoo I'm using is a bit harsh?