Hair thinning at the vertex/cowlick area *pics*

joselima

Reaction score
Since late December, I notice my hair has been shedding onto the shower floor whenever I shampoo my hair. Its anywhere from 20-30 pieces of hair falling off at a time. Not a significantly large amount, but enough for me to notice it. Not to mention, my hair has started to clog up the shower drain.

I didn't pay much attention to the hair loss, until one day my brother mentioned to me that the the hair near my cowlick looks quite thin.

I took a picture of the spot, and I noticed that my vertex is slowly thinning out. However, the my hairline has not receded at all. Its still a norwood 1(??)

Now here's the confusing part.

I have developed terrible GERD and acid reflux over the past 4-6 months. It was so bad so that I couldn't even eat more than 1 to 1.5 meals a day. It's almost like I was on a crash diet, and I lost about 20-25 lbs in a span of 1-2 months (from September to October of last year) as a result. I dropped from a healthy 135lbs to a gauntly 110lbs for example.

My family doctor believed stress has caused my stomach problem; I had quit my job summer of last year and started my own business. Both of which have taken a huge toll on my body both mentally and physically.

Now, I am wondering if this a temporary hair loss that's caused by stress or is this an onset of MBP. I am confused since none of my family members on either side of my family have thinning or MBP (not my dad, grandparents, uncles, and cousins).

I am a bit scared as hair loss is a fairly traumatic experience. So here I am, asking for your expert opinions. What do you guys think?

Thank you for your help.

Pics attached:

Jz8zw.jpg

KE340.jpg

XC20L.jpg

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Going to take a shot at this but I think that you are OK. I think it's because you have your hair going in different directions there which is causing the spit in your vertex. I'm sure others would say just watch it and I totally agree with them but again, I think you are good and your quality of hair looks good. I was told recently by a hair surgeon guy that a cowlick will do very strange things with the way that your hair is positioned and the showing of the scalp & I actually agree with him. All the best.

joselima

Reaction score
jasinfla said:
Going to take a shot at this but I think that you are OK. I think it's because you have your hair going in different directions there which is causing the spit in your vertex. I'm sure others would say just watch it and I totally agree with them but again, I think you are good and your quality of hair looks good. I was told recently by a hair surgeon guy that a cowlick will do very strange things with the way that your hair is positioned and the showing of the scalp & I actually agree with him. All the best.

Thanks for the reply Jasinfla.

Going from losing no hair to losing 20-30 while showering is a pretty scary experience.

Do you think I would benefit from say rogaine and/or some of the hair loss preventing shampoos (the name escapes me at the moment)?

jasinfla

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the name of the shampoo is too, sorry, but I use the Avalon Biotin Thick Shampoo which you can get at Whole Foods and I don't think it does anything truly to thinning hair but it makes it healthy and on the bottle, it say it helps restore thin hair...so I don't know maybe over time. I would honestly say no on the Rogaine because someone else told me that if you truly don't have anything going on, it could wreck your hair...not sure if that is true or not. If you want, and if you haven't already, you can go to a dermatologist and see what they have to say. Mine told me my crown was all good and it was just a natural split so that's why I am leaning towards that decision for yours. But definitely, you can get it checked out but again, I think it's just a split with your hair going in different directions. Good Luck!

davidfan

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but my crown is kinda like this. Is it thinning or just the way it is for some people?