hair thickness at bulb

bombscience

Reaction score
if it thins across the entire shaft and loses color, you're looking at the effects of balding.

welcome to my world.

smallz

Reaction score
I understand that is what I am dealing with. I am asking if it makes a dfiifernce as to where ont he shaft it is thinning or losing color. Also, and I realize the results ar emixed, but is propecia effective in thickening these thin vellus hairs?

G

Since I got on proscar I have noticed (after 6months) that the hairs stay black all the way down - ok they are thinner at the end but I also think that there is a natural thinning the last cm or so (the follicle winds down?).

HomerJ

Reaction score
It is normal for hair to thin towards the root....I asked this question to a doctor and that is the response I got.

Deaner

Reaction score
I also believe it is somewhat normal for a hair, as it nears the telogen phase, to naturally become finer. I believe if the hair remains a constant thickness/pigment for a majority of the shaft (80-90%) then slightly tapers off to the bulb end, there's really nothing to worry about. If it's thinning for the whole shaft, THEN there's a big problem.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Deaner and HomerJ: I really hope you guys are right. 99% of the hairs I see fall out are thinner at the bulb, but quite a few of them only start tapering off and losing color during maybe the last 10 to 15% of the length.

(5 months on generic finasteride, beginning to get nervous and consider getting Proscar)

I hope this is normal---however when I compared one of these to one plucked from the presumably "safe" area in the back, that hair was pretty much even all through.

Lord, I dunno. This is where I'd really love to hear from a derm, meself.

HairLossTalk.com? D'you know?