hair system. Removing density

prits

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had a hair system fitted and whilst im happy with the blending of it etc the system is just too thick (even when I was 15 I didnt have hair this thick!). To be honest im a little surprised they let me walk out with it looking the way it was.

I just wanted to how "safe" it would be to go to a stylist (hair system stylist) and have it thinned out. Is it a good idea or is this hair system a "write off"

Thanks for any responses.

Dashtoronto

Established Member
Reaction score
Relax.

its not a write off.

I had the same exact problem and he used "thinning shears" to reduce the density. Thinning shears are basically a special type of equipment/tool that is like a special scissors to remove some of the hairs on the piece and reduce the density drastically.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56553

You should've seen my piece. It looked like a freaking mop. I even told the guy, "Nobody is going to believe a 32 year old has this much hair" and he took the thinning shears and brought down the density ALOT and it still looks convincingly awesome. Now the piece looks alot less dense and alot less thick. I'm actually thinking of going back and cutting the density even a little more because my confidence with hair pieces are basically zero.

but when i look in the mirror, I am very happy with what i see now. When I first got the piece and it was SO THICK and so MUCH hair - i really knew there was way too much hair and it wouldn't fool anyone and people would see that its a piece from yards away. Now, it looks more realistic.

Just go back and ask them to use thinning shears and reduce the density of the piece. Hopefully they're good people and they will hopefully do their best to make you comfortable and happy with your piece.

MartyKay

Reaction score
If the hair is WAY too dense, you may have a problem thinning it out - it could end up looking stubbly. It's worth a try though, because extreme hair density doesn't look natural and is a dead giveaway that you're wearing a piece.

The really important issue is your supplier. A competent supplier would never sell you a piece with unnaturally high hair density. Is it a stock piece or custom? If it is stock, then your supplier ordered it from one of the lower quality suppliers. It may actually be machine-made rather than hand-made. If it was custom-made, then your supplier doesn't know how to order hair density that will match your own, natural hair density.

And a warning - a hair system salon is likely to charge you a LOT of money to cut in a piece they didn't sell. And they aren't necessarily great stylists either. You might want to consider going to a women's hair salon. Try to find a hairdresser with experience cutting women's wigs. Hairdressers are generally much more skilled at cutting, thinning and blending. And they won't charge you a fortune to do it.