Hair system recommendations?

bald29

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm 29 years old, currently shaving all of my head due to serious loss of hair on the crown area, and I'm considering a full cap hair system. I was looking at HollywoodLace (http://www.hollywoodlace.com/). What do you think?

Regarding my lifestyle, I work from home, so I wouldn't need to wear it all the time, just when I go out. I'm wondering if this would affect the type of hair system that I should get. I was thinking on getting a Super Silk with Full Poly Perimeter system, which according to the hair loss website is the best thing they have. I also play sports seriously (football, lots of physical contact), and I was also wondering if the piece could be used on games or training --not important, but just wondering--.

Thank you!! :)

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate,
I just turned 23 and have been wearing a piece since I was 20. I have to admit that I don't play football in it, however I'm a competitive cyclist, and train 5 days a week and I am a profuse sweater. I think the key to security is having poly border around the base of the system. The poly boarder allows you to apply stronger tapes to the piece and your scalp that will withstand the heat and sweat. You have to do a bit of "trial an error" to find the best tape an glue combo that will give you ultimate security while you're playing sport. If you're considering a lace front (like me) watch out for some glues that turn white when you sweat heavily. For me the only problem with a poly boarder is that it is more detectable to touch (girls love to put their hands in your hair)!

In Australia, we had a couple of Aussie rules footy players that wore hair pieces and nothing ever happened to their hair during their playing careers, so I think it's defiantly possible.

Happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Jack.

bald29

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey mate,
I just turned 23 and have been wearing a piece since I was 20. I have to admit that I don't play football in it, however I'm a competitive cyclist, and train 5 days a week and I am a profuse sweater. I think the key to security is having poly border around the base of the system. The poly boarder allows you to apply stronger tapes to the piece and your scalp that will withstand the heat and sweat. You have to do a bit of "trial an error" to find the best tape an glue combo that will give you ultimate security while you're playing sport. If you're considering a lace front (like me) watch out for some glues that turn white when you sweat heavily. For me the only problem with a poly boarder is that it is more detectable to touch (girls love to put their hands in your hair)!

In Australia, we had a couple of Aussie rules footy players that wore hair pieces and nothing ever happened to their hair during their playing careers, so I think it's defiantly possible.

Happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your answer. My main concern with wearing a hair system while playing football is the constant use of the head in this sport; over ten times per game you have to head balls coming at over 60 km/hr. If I was playing with friends I could avoid this, but in competitive football I can't. Would something break if I do this? I'm inclined to believe it would, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if in the Aussie rules football the head is used as much. In any case, the season is almost over, which would leave me the entire summer to do some intense testing on my own and see how it holds up.

Regarding what you mention about the border, do you change caps between exercise/dating, or do you always wear the one with poly border? Has a girl ever discovered your system? How often do you change your system? Any extra information that you could give me about your system, maintenance required, pictures, etc. will be really appreciated!!! :)

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate, In Aussie Rules, the head is not used in any special ways, however unless there is the chance that someone would pull on your piece hair hard, I don’t think there should be a problem – so long as you have a good bond. In my experience the best bond is achieved after a couple of days, so if you’re playing on a Saturday, you’re best to do a re-bond on the Thursday night beforehand so the tape and glue has sometime to settle and get to the best strength.

My routine is a bit weird, however that is because I want to maintain the best look and undectability. I cycle competitively, training 5 mornings a week and racing on Saturday morning, so I wear the poly edged unit from Sunday night through to Saturday afternoon, and usually change to a all over lace unit with no poly and use glue only for maximum undetectably if I’m out for a bit of action on Saturday night. On Sunday night, I change back to the poly edged unit. On occasions when I hook up with a chick when I have the poly edged unit on, the best bet is to put styling product in, as this makes the hair unpleasant to touch.

However, sometimes girls will just want to put their hands in your hair no matter what you do, so if they feel the edge its best to come up with a story about what the ridge is in the back of your head – an accident or something. I have been busted a couple of times, however this has only been while wearing the poly edged units. The edge on the lace only units is almost impossible to find.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Cheers Jack.

bald29

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jack,

That is very informative, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions! One last question, do you wear a full cap system or a partial one?

Thanks!! :)

Hey mate, In Aussie Rules, the head is not used in any special ways, however unless there is the chance that someone would pull on your piece hair hard, I don’t think there should be a problem – so long as you have a good bond. In my experience the best bond is achieved after a couple of days, so if you’re playing on a Saturday, you’re best to do a re-bond on the Thursday night beforehand so the tape and glue has sometime to settle and get to the best strength.

My routine is a bit weird, however that is because I want to maintain the best look and undectability. I cycle competitively, training 5 mornings a week and racing on Saturday morning, so I wear the poly edged unit from Sunday night through to Saturday afternoon, and usually change to a all over lace unit with no poly and use glue only for maximum undetectably if I’m out for a bit of action on Saturday night. On Sunday night, I change back to the poly edged unit. On occasions when I hook up with a chick when I have the poly edged unit on, the best bet is to put styling product in, as this makes the hair unpleasant to touch.

However, sometimes girls will just want to put their hands in your hair no matter what you do, so if they feel the edge its best to come up with a story about what the ridge is in the back of your head – an accident or something. I have been busted a couple of times, however this has only been while wearing the poly edged units. The edge on the lace only units is almost impossible to find.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Cheers Jack.

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I wear a piece that just covers the top of my head. I have thought about a full cap, however I understand they can be a bit of a hassle bonding around the nape (back of the head near neck) - I guess that is because there is movement there. The biggest challenge with a top only piece is the color blending as the piece hair can tend to change color especially if you spend any time in the sun. I use a product call Nearly Natural to keep the color on the piece as close as possible to my natural hair around the sides and the back. For me the biggest give away to a guy wearing a system is when the color on top has faded (or turned reddish) as this creates a clear line of difference between the system hair and the guys real hair.

Cheers Jack.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Nearly Natural range is a trusty one that I use myself.

Discolouring of the hair piece, miscoloured ones to start (i.e. different tone to your natural hair or ignoring grey) and over dense pieces are a visual triumvirate of giveaways - all of which can be avoided.

- - - Updated - - -

Bald29, how is your hair at the back and sides? any photos would be useful for suggestions.