Hair system hairline lifting after first day

Allantint

Reaction score
Hey guys , I’ve finally installed my first system via a salon, I am generally pretty happy with it except for the fact that the hairline seems to be lifting a lot.

I had it installed today and everytime I get a bit hot or sweaty my hairline seems to get loose and if I pull just a tiny bit the whole hairline comes loose. The whole system is bonded with tape.
The tape stays on the poly base so I don’t think it’s residue silicone on the hair system.

Is this normal? Did anybody have any similar issues and knows how to fix it? It’s a bit demoralising that it’s lifting so much.

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not generalizing salons with my response but back when I started my journey about 4.5 years ago, the salon did such a bad job, me and my mom had to teach ourselves everything from the start about hair systems. So my biased response is that the salon messed up. I was also very demoralized and depressed at that time.

This is definitely not normal and what most likely happened, the scalp was
1) Scalp was not prepped properly
2) Your body chemistry requires a stronger tape/bond

SOLUTION- Buy Ghost Bond online. Lift the front of the hairline, I would take off the tape. clean the base and your head with alcohol. Then apply some dabs of ghost bond in two layers, (make sure the first layer is spread evenly and is no longer white before applying the next one layer) and place the base on your hairline. Stay away from anything that will make you sweat that day, no gym.

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline last for about 8-10 days before it starts lifting. Agreed with the post above, chances are your scalp isn’t being cleaned properly. Use a cleansing mask, like the Mint Julep Masque, to pull oil off your scalp.

I’ve never used tape but consider using a glue bond on the hairline. I use Davlyn on the front hairline, but I hear Ghost Bond works great.

Allantint

Reaction score
My hairline last for about 8-10 days before it starts lifting. Agreed with the post above, chances are your scalp isn’t being cleaned properly. Use a cleansing mask, like the Mint Julep Masque, to pull oil off your scalp.

I’ve never used tape but consider using a glue bond on the hairline. I use Davlyn on the front hairline, but I hear Ghost Bond works great.
Hey thanks for your reply, what Davelyn product are you using if you dont mind me asking?

Allantint

Reaction score
I'm not generalizing salons with my response but back when I started my journey about 4.5 years ago, the salon did such a bad job, me and my mom had to teach ourselves everything from the start about hair systems. So my biased response is that the salon messed up. I was also very demoralized and depressed at that time.

This is definitely not normal and what most likely happened, the scalp was
1) Scalp was not prepped properly
2) Your body chemistry requires a stronger tape/bond

SOLUTION- Buy Ghost Bond online. Lift the front of the hairline, I would take off the tape. clean the base and your head with alcohol. Then apply some dabs of ghost bond in two layers, (make sure the first layer is spread evenly and is no longer white before applying the next one layer) and place the base on your hairline. Stay away from anything that will make you sweat that day, no gym.
I am considering doing this. Weird thing is its only the hairline thats having problems and the sides and back are not. But i agree salons can be a bit bad ,i asked for an all tape bond and they left spaces on the sides of the system where its not bonded at all..

Allantint

Reaction score
After sleeping with the unit for the first time i have to say it definitely takes some time to get used to the feeling of having a hair system on your head. Im still unsure myself if the system looks good and if the blend is correct. Its very puffy but i read that this is normal?

If anybody wants photos i will post them so that you can give me your opinions.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Allantint

One possibility is that the adhesive was not allowed to cure fully before I got damp. You have to apply the system somewhere cool and dry (which presumably you did, since it was a salon) and then keep it dry till the adhesive has cured. The time that takes seems to differ from person to person, but I count on 4-5 hours. So no serious sweating, showering or swimming in that curing period. If you do, it irretrievably damages the bond, and in the case of glues turns them white and visible. If that happens you just have to take it off and re-apply. But if you allow curing to complete without the adhesive getting wet, you should be able to get 7 -10 days hold.

The puffiness is normal, and will go away by itself, but you can help it along by damping the hair and wearing a tight baseball cap over it for a while.

Happy to give you an objective appraisal if you want to PM me a photo of two.

Noah

Allantint

Reaction score
Hi Allantint

One possibility is that the adhesive was not allowed to cure fully before I got damp. You have to apply the system somewhere cool and dry (which presumably you did, since it was a salon) and then keep it dry till the adhesive has cured. The time that takes seems to differ from person to person, but I count on 4-5 hours. So no serious sweating, showering or swimming in that curing period. If you do, it irretrievably damages the bond, and in the case of glues turns them white and visible. If that happens you just have to take it off and re-apply. But if you allow curing to complete without the adhesive getting wet, you should be able to get 7 -10 days hold.

The puffiness is normal, and will go away by itself, but you can help it along by damping the hair and wearing a tight baseball cap over it for a while.

Happy to give you an objective appraisal if you want to PM me a photo of two.

Noah
Hey Noah,

The salon was cool and dry, however as soon as i got it placed i noticed i was sweating a lot, and before going out of the salon i was looking at my hairline and realised that it had already lifted before i even left the salon! It did stick a bit more later on but its definitely not sticking properly as i can pull the hairline off just by pulling a little bit (this should not happen no?)

I will PM you some pics for an oppinion!

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
It'll be puffy yeah but just spray some oil/conditioner on it to weight it down a bit. From memory that Jake youtube person did say that for the first week he washes his mop lots, however i tend to assume whatever he says the opposite is likely true lol. But perhaps he's correct, however I read more about the negative effects of washing so i intend on just trying other fixes first lol.

I've a salon appointment but been waiting for my colour to come into stock for over a month. So the other day I ordered a unit direct from a manufacturer in China. They cut the base and style the unit too, but i'll have to wait and see what the unit is like when it arrives. It's been sent already and Fedex said I should get it in a few days!

I've worn plenty of lace front womans wigs before and I know how annoying and time consuming it is to cut the lace off the front. However as it is mine, I take my time. I cannot imagine a 3rd party (like a salon) taking as much care. So like you I have been worried about them understandably not caring about the unit as much as I do lol.

Salons are for the most part just franchised, my one is anyway. They get their units (and i assume a tiny bit of training) from the hair system company who then tout their wares to salons across the country telling them about this money making side scheme. My salon said it can take about 3 hours, is £200 or whatever their cut is) really worth that money? They are going to rip that unit off my head as fast as possible, not caring too much about minor damage, after all it'll make me buy another unit quicker lol. and my salon is a lady who doesn't wear a hair system so isn't going to really know how long the glue lasts or have any experience at all with all the different types of glues and tapes or suggest that as it's (insert season here) that I should switch to using this other type of glue for the next few months, etc.

In short, i went to a salon as I wanted it done right the first time (my Friar Tuck hair cut, hairline style, blending bio hair, hair cut style, etc), I knew I would not keep going back to them but stock issues are a problem for them and I became impatient and that's why i just ordered myself a unit this week. It of course depends on what the quality of this incoming unit I ordered is like, but if it is decent I will just do it myself and then go to the salon when they finally get my unit in stock.

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, the salon screwed up. You should get, at least, 7 days. As for the sleeping aspect - I hated it, at first! I found it to be extremely uncomfortable. I had actually regretted getting a system, initially. It wasn’t comfortable, and I kept looking at the damn mirror…always worried it was lifting. However, after a week or two, I felt good about the unit. I no longer felt like I had a system on. Also, I think I was, emotionally, better about the whole thing.