hair straightners and hairloss?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
when i had lots of hair, i used mens hair straightners regularly as i have curly hair.... could this have led to increasing my hairloss?

i remember the straightners got very hot and sometimes it would accidently touch my scalp and burn it - could this have damaged my hair follicles?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Unlikely. Straightening your hair will make the hair thinner and more fragile but I doubt it would contribute to your hair loss. Hair loss is a genetic thing, women straighten their hair all the time and it doesn't make them go bald... so apply the same for men.

The only thign it will really do is make your hair weaker (the shaft not the folicle) and maybe break off part way up, but will not make you go bald.

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
LOL at the above comment. good ol spam.

Hey MJ9 i kno wat u mean bout straighteners. wen i had long hair i used them all the time. itd really dry my hair out and pull it out too but the thing was i got proper new straighteners and about 4 or 5 days later big chunks of my fringe came out wen i combed my hair. it was scary as fuk like. and i also touched the skin with them and still worry if it killed anything. wat happened in your case?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
MEANSTREET said:
LOL at the above comment. good ol spam.

Hey MJ9 i kno wat u mean bout straighteners. wen i had long hair i used them all the time. itd really dry my hair out and pull it out too but the thing was i got proper new straighteners and about 4 or 5 days later big chunks of my fringe came out wen i combed my hair. it was scary as fuk like. and i also touched the skin with them and still worry if it killed anything. wat happened in your case?

what you mean proper new straightners? you mean like GHD's?

my hair just started getting really thin within the space of 1-2 years of using straighteners... but someone made a valid point about how women dont go bald by using straighteners so...........

MEANSTREET

Reaction score
yeah man like i went from hot metal straighteners to ceramic plate ones. well i know girls dont go bald from using them but then again we arent girls and we have male pattern baldness. i do think it dried out my hair and scalp and led to inflammation which in turn led to more loss

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
How the f*** is what I said spam? I didn't endorse any particular brand or anything, just posted my views. Straigtening your hair will NOT make you go bald. However it thins your hair out when you do straigten it. This isn't a permanent thing tho and if you stop straigtening your hair it will improve again in a couple of months.

Straigtening is BAD for you hair... but it does NOT cause baldness or increase the rate you will go bald... this is caused by... now wait for it...

Genetics.

Yes we all want something to blame other then our crappy gene's but i'm afraid your clutching at straws here.

Yes if your hairs thin and weak it may break the hair shaft, it may even pull it out of your head (although I find this VERY unlikely in anything other then the thinnest of hairs) but it wont make you go bald.

Take good care of your hair and if you have to straighten it then use heat protection serum and give your hair a day off every now and then.

Get some mousse and put that in your hair when its wet and go for the curly and proud look. Any hairdresser will tell you that straigtening your hair is bad for it... as is using loads of wax, combing it too much, washing it too often, pollution, the sun etc etc. So unless your going to live in an air tight box with no windows or light then just make the best of what you have and if that means straigtening it... then by all means do so.