Hair Shedding/thinning At 21 - Should I Start Finasteride

saimee10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 21 year old male, experiencing hair loss since I was 18.

Initially, the hair loss was just a bit of hairloss near my temples and hairline which is not noticeable as go to the barber weekly to get a line up/trim on the sides.

A few months ago, my hair shedding increased by a lot. I know that the average person should lose about 100-150 hairs in a day due to the hair growth cycle, however I am confident that my hair shedding is far more than that, probably double since just touching my hair would bring back a handful of loose hair strands. Compared to before, my hair strands are also much thinner and break off much easier than I remember from before.

My hair/scalp stop producing oil as well and is dry 24/7, even when i avoid shampoo and dry putting coconut oil into my scalp. It takes hours after I shower for my hair to dry and its not possible for me to style it anymore.

Because my hair is curly, it appears to be dense however straightening/parting hair would reveal patches of thinning hair/bald spots all over my scalp.

Baldness typically doesn’t run at a young age in my family, as my grandfather still has a full head of hair as a few of my uncles (not sure about dad as I haven’t seen him in decades).

I know that the recession of hair in the temple is a sign of pattern baldness, however I am not sure if the increased hair shedding and dry scalp is another sign, or is a related to another cause (although I am in general good health) such as the retin-A and accutane I have been taking to help with acne.

Should I start the big 3, or atleast finasteride, to prevent the shedding from becoming worse.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited: