Hair shedding is making me lose my mind

LiveInHope

Reaction score
Hi guys, I seriously need some help with my problem before I crack up. I previously posted here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74944 about my current predicament regarding hair loss.

However, for those who don’t feel like reading that I’ll post a summary:

Sept 2010: First noticed I was shedding hair at a noticeable rate. All hairs were long and had a visible bulb on the end of them.

Dec 2010 (or roughly thereabouts): Hair shedding stopped, or stopped to the point where it wasn’t noticeable. Suspect it was seasonal shedding or Telogen Effluvium.
Continued on with life and didn’t realise how glorious it was not to worry about hair loss.

Sept 2011: Noticed again that I was shedding hairs. Again, all hairs were/are long and had/have a visible bulb on the end of them.

As of today, 10 months later, my hair has not stopped shedding. I could pull 50 hairs loose easily from my head a day if I wanted to (I don't). Regarding actual loss without pulling I'd say it's in the region of 25-30. However, I have not noticed any visible thinning of my hair and am about 80% certain there’s been no recession at my temples.

This has not made me feel better at all as I change my mind every hour or so regarding if I’m actually losing my hair or not.

My argument against me losing my hair is that if I’ve been shedding hair for 10 months I should have at least some more noticeable thinning, right? But then, what else is causing the shedding?

Everybody likes to think they suffer from Telogen Effluvium but odds are it’s simply male pattern baldness. As well as this, hair from all over my body pulls out very easily. My eyebrows, eyelashes, leg hair and happy trail hair all pull away very easily. I know losing eyebrow hair is not uncommon in aggressive male pattern baldness, but if my hair loss is aggressive, wouldn’t it, again, be more noticeable?

Conversely, you can see my scalp at points but I've seen in old photos where you can see it and it appears much longer in the photo than it does at the moment (it's really short). I can upload these if anyone wishes to see.

It is on my mind CONSTANTLY, to the point where I can’t think about anything else for long periods of time. I feel like I’m in limbo regarding hair loss and I’m afraid to pass it off as anything less than male pattern baldness only to receive a huge shock in a few months.

I’ve attached some photos I took recently along with similar ones from a few years back if anyone can see any hair loss or recession that I may have missed?

The photos are dated in order: Jan 09, June 2012 (today), 1st May 2012, Oct 2010, August 09, 23rd April 2012.

Can someone, please, please tell me what they think could be going on?

Attachments

• ap12.jpg
    ap12.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • aug09.jpg
    aug09.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • oct2010.jpg
    oct2010.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 1mayHL.jpg
    1mayHL.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 1JunL.jpg
    1JunL.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • jan09.jpg
    jan09.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,228

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Hair loss is making me lose my mind

You need to shave it off and get a hair piece! :woot:

T

TravisB

Re: Hair loss is making me lose my mind

OMG hairloss? What hairloss?

LiveInHope

Reaction score
I know what you're thinking, I get it. But the fact is I'm shedding hairs at a noticeable rate and have been for sometime, whereas prior to it beginning, I wasn't. So something is going on and it's driving me crazy not knowing what it could be.

I guess hair "loss" isn't the right word to use, more like hair shedding.

T

TravisB

What's your family history of hair loss? If no one was bald, then you probably doesn't have anything to worry about, but nevertheless you should keep a close eye on it.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah defintely a lot of "shedding" going on there, like I said the only realistic option now is to shave off what remains and get a hair piece! :woot:

LiveInHope

Reaction score
@TravisB
I have a mixed bag. My father is about a NW5-6 but his brother still had a full head of hair by the time he died (aged 44). On my mothers side, 2 of her brothers still pretty much have all their hair (they're in their 60's too) and the other has lost it all.

@Primo
Please stop commenting if you're not going to at least try and help. I wouldn't have bothered posting if it hadn't been worrying me constantly only to get ridiculed (even if it is in "good humour").

T

TravisB

Hmm if your father is bald, and you have other bald family members, then I say that you have a very high chance of going bald too. But if you are lucky, maybe you won't. Observe your hairline and crown. Especially crown as you don't see it everyday when looking in the mirror.

LiveInHope

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand that. Hoping and praying that I take after the 3/5 males in my close family as opposed to the other 2/5!

I'm also reading up a lot about the genetics of hair loss. I mean, what singled out my father as the one to suffer hair loss as opposed to his brother if they both had the same chances of it occurring.

But still, I want to be ready for the day if/when it comes. Which is why it's causing me so much anxiety trying to figure out if it's already started or not.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey don't stress too much, my father and grand father were both NW6/7s and while I have also inherited the hairloss gene, my brother who is 8years older and in his early 30s has a completely full head of hair, he has taken my mother's hair genes clearly.

I started losing it when I was 17, so I'm sure if he was going to go bald also it would have set in by now, so don't go crazy about it, watch out for any developments over the next 12months, but you could very well end up being the lucky one like my bro, it's 50/50.

Also, bit of a personal question, but how old are you?

Because you complain about thinning hair at the sides, but if you're 25+ that kind of thinning is very common, there are guys here who are on every possible treatment you can take and they still get this thinning at the sides, there is nothing you can do to prevent it as you move towards your 30s, it's not strictly male pattern baldness in the true sense, it's more like a mature hairline.

LiveInHope

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I'm 22 in a few days. My dad told me that he started to lose his hair whenever he first went to college so I guess I have a good 3/4 years on him so far.

Well, I didn't really complain about hair thinning at the sides. Just that you can see my scalp from certain angles. I'm not really worrying about this since I get my back and sides razored and it would frankly be strange if you couldn't see my scalp at points and I have photos where you can see my scalp, dating from over a year back, with hair much longer than I have at the moment.

I'm struggling with the "keep an eye out for any changes" aspect since this has basically been "obsess day and night about your hair" for me. All it takes is to find a hair on the desk where I've been working and I start to freak out.

B

Beingbaldsucks

I remember myself in highschool, long hair, hair shaded like a mothafucka, only after 2 years I sew first signs of loss

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude from the numbers you are writing about, we aren't even talking about shedding?!

You know that losing 100 hairs is not a problem because it is important what comes back and if they grow back weaker or not.

Danny1990

Reaction score
My hair is almost exactly like yours. I'm 21 and shedding quite a bit. It looks the worst when my hair is wet. I only get freaked out when I've washed my hair and a bunch of hair comes with it. I just started using Nizoral shampoo and may start using Revita. I hesitate to use Rogaine or finasteride right now...too many side effects.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Maybe your shed is so aggressive beacuse your losing your mind to begin with, not sleeping enough and worrying all the time.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Is shedding aggressive if we're talking about 25-30 hairs? :)