Hair shedding does NOT mean balding.

wakka12

Reaction score
Hello, I just joined today to hopefully help put *some* mens worries to bed. Im a hypochondriac with an anxiety disorder and extreme insecurities with my body image. Perfect storm for going bald..thankfully Im not going bald though.
Anyway, for the last 5-6 months or so Ive been extremely worried about balding. Constantly checking my hand for hairs stuck to it after i Run my hand through it, checking hands in shower, checking my collar for hairs, checking my pillow int he morning.

And I do lose a lot of hairs. I just turned 20 years old. I would say I easily lose more than 100 per day. I could see up to 30 hairs on my hand after shampooing. And yet no signs of balding what so ever, 6 months after noticing this high shedding of hair. I shaved my head because I was so worried about balding, I did this and there was no patch of even slightly thinning hair noticeable . I thought I might be a diffuse thinner because the hairs fall off everywhere on my head. If I pull at my hair at the nape of my neck, at the vertex or at temples I could pull 2 or 3 hairs out of that spot. It scared the **** out of me. I have a big nose and weird ears and a boyish-innocent looking face so balding would just not be a good look on me.

Anyway I went to see a trichologist who assured me that I was not balding. She viewed my scalp under a microscope and took sample hairs , I was overjoyed. If I shook my head over a white towel SO many hairs would come out . A month ago I tried this and I started crying, literally 20-30 hairs fell out after shaking my hair over a white towel for 30 seconds.It was a very scary time.

But I don't know why I have such a high shed that doesn't results in hair loss. I have thick curly hair, that might be a factor . Maybe the curls catch loose/fallen hairs and so when I shake my head all the hairs come out together. Where as hairs might fall out unnoticed from thinner straight hair. I also study architecture, which is an incredibly stressful course. It could reduce me to tears at times and with all the all nighters Ive done this semester I probably lost a full 2 weeks of sleep overall! Combined with the social anxiety I think this stress may have increased my hair loss.
I also had a heavy shed even as a child, when doing my homework I used to play with my hair and would notice 2 or 3 hairs on my exercise books, this was when I wa like 13 year old too.

Anyway I just wanted to tell guys who fear they are balding due to increased hair loss not to worry, yet. Please save yourself the emotional struggle and wait to see a trychologist. They will be able to tell you and either confirm the worst or put your fears to rest. And if you are suffering from male pattern baldness then you can begin treatment right away. But please please please don't use the numbers of hair falling from your head to measure whether you're balding or not. In my case it was a complete waste of time that resulted in extreme stress anxiety and sadness that was so unnecessary. This is my first post but I hope I helped somebody, I wish I could have heard this from somebody a few months ago. Everyone on this forum is so bloody negative, I heard countless times things along the lines of 'if you think you're balding then you ARE' 'lots of hairs int he shower obviously means you're balding' 'do you think men not suffering from male pattern baldness actually lose 100 hairs per day, not a chance'
Its all bull**** . I was so worried I actually deluded myself into thinking I was seeing thinning hair on parts of my scalp and hair miniaturisation at the fringe . Neither of which I had in any way shape or form!
If you think you have male pattern baldness PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET! It is completely detrimental to your mental health and is of absolutely no help what so ever. A doctor can help you.
If you are confirmed to be suffering male pattern baldness then resort to the use of this forum, but for now stay away.

myhairadventure

Reaction score
Internet is a valuable source of information. Whether is good or bad depends of the user. Shedding is just a part of the hair cycle. The problem comes when you add 1) Thinning, follicular miniaturization 2) Shedding. 3) Not regrowth at all. Add time and that = hAiR loSs!!! (Telogen Effluvium, male pattern baldness, hypo/hyper, anemia, autoimmune disease?, etc.)

gchr1

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your recommendation, I was trying to find a good doctor that specializes in hair. I went to my GP and also hair surgeons and wasn't sure who to believe. so do you recommend to trust a trychologist over physican or hair surgeon?

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have so much shedding, my hair looks fine when dry however looks thin when wet. I also have a very dry and itchy scalp, I've tried literally everything different shampoos ect nothing seems to work, what would you guys recommend?

umair

Established Member
Reaction score
U did a very great job...atleast fr me...now I can bath peacefully...cause m not alone..

T

tellersquill

If there are white bulbs at the end of the lost hair does that mean the hair is gone for good?

I heard someone say it was but that could just be bro science

mompo

Established Member
Reaction score
If there are white bulbs at the end of the lost hair does that mean the hair is gone for good?

I heard someone say it was but that could just be bro science

No it just means that the hair died naturally. It will grow back but what you don't know is if it will grow thinner or thicker...

chrisjones12

Reaction score
Same OP. I'm replying to threads similar to my problem so I can create a new thread on my issue. But I too have been freaking out lately. I think I'm a hypochondriac. My face get's hot, my head feels like it has icy hot on it. Just major problems. I'm also a little overweight, so I plan on losing around 20 pounds.

Ajaxx

Reaction score
Same OP. I'm replying to threads similar to my problem so I can create a new thread on my issue. But I too have been freaking out lately. I think I'm a hypochondriac. My face get's hot, my head feels like it has icy hot on it. Just major problems. I'm also a little overweight, so I plan on losing around 20 pounds.

That sounds like anxiety. In fact, I think most of the reported "male pattern baldness itch" is just anxiety. Scalp tingling/itching is a symptom of anxiety, I have it. It stopped when I was on antidepressants though.

garyhary

Established Member
Reaction score
That sounds like anxiety. In fact, I think most of the reported "male pattern baldness itch" is just anxiety. Scalp tingling/itching is a symptom of anxiety, I have it. It stopped when I was on antidepressants though.

Itch on the scalp is almost always something psychological that is not related to an actual physical pain of sorts.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score

The itch is definitely real I think the main reason it's not spoken about often is because A) it only seems to effect people with either aggressive loss/very young and B) It is soothed in most cases by Nizoral or failing that finasteride. Older patients 30+, whom are the majority that male pattern baldness effect, are much less likely to get an itch and they're where most of the info from male pattern baldness is sought.

Ajaxx

Reaction score
The itch is definitely real I think the main reason it's not spoken about often is because A) it only seems to effect people with either aggressive loss/very young and B) It is soothed in most cases by Nizoral or failing that finasteride. Older patients 30+, whom are the majority that male pattern baldness effect, are much less likely to get an itch and they're where most of the info from male pattern baldness is sought.

Is there anything officially documented about the male pattern baldness itch? Because I mentioned it to my doctor and he disagreed with it and said he'd never heard of it. Though to be honest hair isn't his specialty.

wakka12

Reaction score
Is there anything officially documented about the male pattern baldness itch? Because I mentioned it to my doctor and he disagreed with it and said he'd never heard of it. Though to be honest hair isn't his specialty.
Well Im the OP and I got the male pattern baldness itch, though I don't have male pattern baldness. So clearly it was pysochogical. I got so anxious I would always also imagine the sensation of a strand of hair on my face , you know that light little itch. Id go to the bathroom to check if there was a hair there and there usually wasnt. This balding scare seriously ****ed up my mental health

Stillrunninground

Reaction score
I have ezcema so i itch all the time, i have a slight receding hairline at 20 but never had shedding so i thought all was good. However i itch now on my scalp and shed quite badly and cant determine whether balding kicking in or scalp ezcema :(