Hair Regrowth with Cannabidiol (CBD)-rich Hemp Extract –A Case Series

inmyhead

Reaction score
Found on reddit actually,

Abstract:

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. Several FDA approved medications are available but offer limited results. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a key player in hair follicle cell growth. The ECS cannabinoid type one (CB1) receptors are well expressed in the hair follicle cells. Cannabidiol CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor and has been shown to result in hair shaft elongation. In addition, the hair follicle cycle phases are controlled by the ECS vanilloid receptor1 (TRPV1). CBD has also been shown to increase Wnt signaling pathways that are involved in the differentiation of dermal progenitor cells into new hair follicles and maintaining the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose dependent and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor4 (TRPV4). Topical application of CBD reaches hair follicles where it is a CB1 negative modulator, and TRPV1, and TRPV4 agonist. A study was done of 35 subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia using a once daily topical hemp oil formulation, averaging about 3-4 mg per day of CBD and minimal amounts of other cannabinoids for six months. A hair count of the greatest area of alopecia was carried out before treatment and again after six months. The results revealed that men did slightly better than women, and the vertex area did better than the temporal areas. On average there was statistically significant 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months. All subjects had some regrowth. There were no reported adverse effects. Since the CBD works through novel mechanisms different from finasteride and minoxidil it can be used in conjunction with these current drugs and would be expected to have synergistic effects.

No pictures though

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) I want to believe. But:
2) it’s out of Florida.
3) the “Laser Hair Center” is un googleable… does it actually exist?
Sorry idk long day just my first impressions. Thanks for posting

IsacCornish

My Regimen
Reaction score
After suffering from a tough recovery from Covid, a lot of my hair fell off.

Wow, what exactly happened? Did they explain it to you? I'm shocked that after covid people have so various outcomes which seem to be mysterious to me. For example, my friend had problems with his eyes after he recovered from covid. Doctors said to him his problems may be caused by the covid infection...but how exactly? But at least, he somehow managed to get a recipe to take cannabis from the drug store or shop. As I know, he got a cannabis subscription box for himself that consists not only of cannabis but a couple of other useful stuff. Still, I don't know if marijuana-related products can help with hair regrowth treatment. It would be amazing if so...

Last edited:

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Found on reddit actually,

Abstract:

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common cause of hair loss. Several FDA approved medications are available but offer limited results. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a key player in hair follicle cell growth. The ECS cannabinoid type one (CB1) receptors are well expressed in the hair follicle cells. Cannabidiol CBD is a negative allosteric modulator of the CB1 receptor and has been shown to result in hair shaft elongation. In addition, the hair follicle cycle phases are controlled by the ECS vanilloid receptor1 (TRPV1). CBD has also been shown to increase Wnt signaling pathways that are involved in the differentiation of dermal progenitor cells into new hair follicles and maintaining the anagen phase of the hair cycle. The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose dependent and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor4 (TRPV4). Topical application of CBD reaches hair follicles where it is a CB1 negative modulator, and TRPV1, and TRPV4 agonist. A study was done of 35 subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia using a once daily topical hemp oil formulation, averaging about 3-4 mg per day of CBD and minimal amounts of other cannabinoids for six months. A hair count of the greatest area of alopecia was carried out before treatment and again after six months. The results revealed that men did slightly better than women, and the vertex area did better than the temporal areas. On average there was statistically significant 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months. All subjects had some regrowth. There were no reported adverse effects. Since the CBD works through novel mechanisms different from finasteride and minoxidil it can be used in conjunction with these current drugs and would be expected to have synergistic effects.

No pictures though
These are HUGE growth rates. I would say it is worth looking into it, but with such regrowth I wonder why no pictures were included as presumably they should be significant

gungunum

My Regimen
Reaction score
A 2021 study showed that people who topically applied CBD oil to their hair and scalp for 6 months saw successful regrowth. However, results were more promising in men than women. CBD may also help people achieve better sleep and reduce anxiety, impacting hair growth. CBD is also not a fix-all solution. CBD oil may help with hair loss, but other ways to approach hair regeneration have more consistent results. Additionally, research has been done on CBD oil that you can find in the local Brampton dispensary.

AlissaLynn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that's fascinating! I've heard about the potential benefits of CBD, but it's cool to see a study supporting hair regrowth. It's promising that it works differently from traditional treatments and could complement them. I might give it a try for my own hair concerns. I love cannabis, especially delta 9 thc gummies, and I'm happy that it can be so versatile. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: