hair pieces in perspective

CCS

Reaction score
I think NW5's have a very hard time with pieces. Not only do they have to shave an oval patch to the same size and shape as an oval piece, but their piece has to mimic the spiral, and they have to glue in on right in back using a mirror. Many people's hair parts right at the side border of the piece. They need skill to pull that off.

Imagine that I'm sticking my face into a pool of water, with my face pointed straight down, and my temples submerged 1 inch. All the hairs underwater are getting shaved. The back of my piece is flat and straight from top view. All i have to do is back it on, and I can see it easily from the front. My side hairs go back, and my top hairs go forwards, naturally, which will go over my near perfect transition. I'm sending in hair samples to match color and wave. I'm getting 65% density, and changing my temples and hairline only 1/8 inch. My hair will be real hair. I think I'll be fine.

I just need to get good at applying a very thin, even layer of glue, and need to memorize some reference points, and give it tension and pressure without pushing the piece hair into the glue.

CCS

Reaction score
furthermore, I think my grafts look like a wig, though a very thin one. Or worse, they look like I'm just way to insecure to shave my head, and am hanging on to my tumble weeds for dear life. Fact is, people make fun of you for looking bad and thinking it looks good. If you actually look good, they won't complain. HWGA's coworker looked off, and did not know it, so he was laughed at. You don't laugh at a hot woman with implants. You laugh at the one who does not realize she has toilet paper peeping out of her shirt.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually CCS makes a good point. If it's not a bad piece and hard or very hard to spot, and it actually looks good, even if people suspect what can they say? I think it is pretty comparable to a girl with implants if the hair system is executed very well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
mulder said:
Actually CCS makes a good point. If it's not a bad piece and hard or very hard to spot, and it actually looks good, even if people suspect what can they say? I think it is pretty comparable to a girl with implants if the hair system is executed very well.

Not really girls grow up learning about beauty and changing their looks, its seen as feminine thing to do. Wearing make up colouring/perming hair, obsessing about their clothes/figure etc most of them will do all that just to go work or down the shops. Infact a girl who did nothing with her hair and wore no make up would be viewed as strange (or a dyke.)
And even they dont go around drawing attention to the levels that they go for beauty.

However for a guy anything that goes further than getting a nice haircut/style is seen as unmasculine or vain.
For a young man like CCS who has what most people would consider a pretty full head of hair anyway wearing a hairpiece woild be looked upon as ridiculous. Even if it did look good and once people know that its fake they will always see it as fake no matter how natural it looks.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
mulder said:

Not really girls grow up learning about beauty and changing their looks, its seen as feminine thing to do. Wearing make up colouring/perming hair, obsessing about their clothes/figure etc most of them will do all that just to go work or down the shops. Infact a girl who did nothing with her hair and wore no make up would be viewed as strange (or a dyke.)
And even they dont go around drawing attention to the levels that they go for beauty.

However for a guy anything that goes further than getting a nice haircut/style is seen as unmasculine or vain.
For a young man like CCS who has what most people would consider a pretty full head of hair anyway wearing a hairpiece woild be looked upon as ridiculous. Even if it did look good and once people know that its fake they will always see it as fake no matter how natural it looks.

Well guys are increasingly accepted as spending a lot of time on their apperance- I think even compared to a couple of decades ago, the acceptance of male grooming etc. has increased dramatically. The reality is if the piece is good quality, cut in well and matches the rest of your hair...the vast majority of people won't be able to tell. I really think a lot of people have to be fairly certain about it for it to become an issue. Honestly I think it has to be really noticeable to become a real gossip item. There's a difference between a few people in the office saying something like:
person 1: 'you see his hair, I think it might be a piece' person 2: 'I dunno...maybe' person 3' huh? no way' person 4: 'hmm..I think you may be right..have to get a closer look'

and something like this:
person 1: 'Bob is DEFINITELY wearing a toupee' person 2: 'I know, it doesn't look good' person 3: 'doesn't look THAT bad, but yeah I noticed when he was sitting at his desk' person 4: 'What the heck is the guy thinking, he looks HORRIBLE!' person 5: 'yeah, who does he think he's fooling LOL'

Scenario 1 isn't good but nowhere near scenario 2. I honestly think in the vast majority of situations, you'll only see scenario 2 if the piece is really badly executed.

I do agree if you spend your whole life in the same small neighbourhood and work at the same place, then getting a piece doesn't make any sense. But in North America at least most people change jobs and move around quite a bit...there's plenty of opportunities to 'reinvent' yourself a bit.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
mulder said:

Better than being viewed as diseased, like many women see balding men. I read mass surveys that said women prefer status and money over looks, and that fat does not hurt men that much, but those same surveys said that balding is looked at like a disease to most women. They'd rather you just shaved your head.

s.a.f

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
[those same surveys said that balding is looked at like a disease to most women. They'd rather you just shaved your head.

Exactly they'd rather you just shaved your head than get a hairpiece.

CCS

Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
I go down the highway at 70 mph with no helmet and it wont come off.

Can you go down the highway without a helmet using swiss lace and short hair?

CCS

Reaction score
I think no one will care if you have a good looking piece. Just the bad ones are made fun of. Well, some jealous guys and rejected women will put it down. And if you pressure a hot woman to give you an excuse for why she turned you down, the piece would be an easy escape for her. Just avoid those two types, and have a good piece, and no one will say anything.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You honestly believe that? :shakehead:

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
You honestly believe that? :shakehead:

yes, because I don't care about other people's stuff. Only jealous, bitter people will have an empty enough life to care about your piece if it looks good enough not to remind them all the time.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
MichiganBaldy said:
I go down the highway at 70 mph with no helmet and it wont come off.

Can you go down the highway without a helmet using swiss lace and short hair?

Yes thats what I wear. I was in the back of my friends pick up holding onto part of a load we were hauling. I was standing up with my face in the wind and my hair didnt do anything like move or fly off.
I knew it would`t, either. Some of the comments on here about hairpieces are less real than the hairpieces themselves.
People seem so petrified of what others will say about them, even if it looks good.

You will be talked about behind your back all your life, whether you wear a hairpiece, shave your head, get transplants, use a hearing aid, have nose hairs, "your extreme paranioa and insecurity in life"
or any other reason that people can find, you will be talked about and made fun of behind your back, I guarantee it.
Everyone on this earth is not only a subject of it, we all participate in it too.
It doesnt matter WHAT you do or how perfect you think you present yourself to society, you`ll be picked apart from something or another, so get used to it.

Wearing a rug can take their attention away from your lack of balls.........which is a much greater concern if you all hope to meet and pick up women.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
The clients that wear "Hair Systems" are the ones that you do not know are wearing a Hair Replacement. They are completely natural. No one will ever know. Undoubtedly hair systems are the most desirable method of replacing hair that has been lost.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hreplacement/

Thats about the same thing you`ll hear from the high pressure salespeople at the expensive salons and clubs, and it is a bit over the line.

What they fail to mention in that overly aggressive description is that Hairsystems are not only the SAME thing as a hairpiece, they are only as natural and undetectible as the piece can be if it has been ordered, made, modified, applied, cut, styled, maintained and worn correctly.

Satisfaction and contentment can be found using them. They do take some work but in the end, if done right, it is worth it if you want to have, or look like you have, hair.
It can be done. I do it myself.
But there needs to be a happy medium between the "they are undetectible and no one will EVER know" and the "everyone can see them they are so fake looking and it`ll fly off your head" approaches.

A hairpiece/hairsystem/wig/rug is an owner/operator situation, and if you dont operate it correctly, it wont work.
The worst thing you can do is go to a club/salon/ hair replacement center and put your looks in the hands of someone else. 9 times out of 10, you`ll get someone who`ll make a mess of things for you. There are very few out there who will do you right, sans cost.

The best thing you can do, if you want to try out hairsystems/pieces/rugs/wigs, is purchase your rugs and supplies from one of the many suppliers online, learn to do it yourself, experiment with different combinations and go on with you life without hair being an issue.

s.a.f

Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
You will be talked about behind your back all your life, whether you wear a hairpiece, shave your head, get transplants, use a hearing aid, have nose hairs, "your extreme paranioa and insecurity in life"
or any other reason that people can find, you will be talked about and made fun of behind your back, I guarantee it.

Thats true there is something about everyone that can be critisized and in my experienced wherever you go you will find people who like to gossip about others. But you cant compare the fact that someone has eg acne, hairloss, bottle thick glasses or a fat arse with something as fake as wearing a false head of hair and trying to pass it off as their own natural hair.
Its a much bigger issue all the other points mentioned are entirely commonplace (and natural) in comparison.
I'm not trying to argue here I'm just stating how it would be percieved. The risk factor in a situation like CCS's is something that should be seriously taken into consideration.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
The point is if the hair piece is good enough, no one will know for certain and it won't be on their minds all the time since there's not much to notice. It's true some people have a visceral reaction to hair pieces but some people have a visceral reaction to fat people, or people with a lisp, or a different skin colour, guys who dye their hair, or guys with long hair etc....basically what MB is saying. You, and from the sounds of it a lot of your friends (though do you even know or are you just assuming?), have a very negative reaction to rugs...most people are amused by them but not everyone would gasp with horror at the thought of someone wearing one...we've already established they're much more common then you think. Your letting fear govern your thoughts on rugs a little too much IMO.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
MichiganBaldy said:

Thats true there is something about everyone that can be critisized and in my experienced wherever you go you will find people who like to gossip about others. But you cant compare the fact that someone has eg acne, hairloss, bottle thick glasses or a fat arse with something as fake as wearing a false head of hair and trying to pass it off as their own natural hair.
Its a much bigger issue all the other points mentioned are entirely commonplace (and natural) in comparison.
I'm not trying to argue here I'm just stating how it would be percieved. The risk factor in a situation like CCS's is something that should be seriously taken into consideration.

Society will not assign higher or lower values to the people and things they make fun of based on whether or not they feel its a naturally occurring.
You`ll be talked about with an equal amount of viciousness regardless of your faults, naturally occuring or not.
Dont allow yourself to assume that you`ll be any more or less ridiculed for one thing or another, and thus assigned a higher or lower ranking on the totem pole of the community that you live in.

Had I never started wearing a hairpiece, I would not find myself any more or less respected nor loved by the people around me than I am right now.

Likewise-

If I take my hairpiece off right now and shave or get transplants, I will NOT find myself any higher or lower
on the totem pole of life than I am at right now.

CCS

Reaction score
i just asked them what price i'd be charged for my front partial. Normally front partials are 2 for $190, and pieces that cover the top 6x8 inches are $175 each. They don't care what the surface area is though. They just care what the largest dimension is. Because mine will have temples on it, that makes it 11 inches from temple to temple, so they consider it the same size as full piece, even though it is half the surface area. So they are charging me the same price as a full piece.

As for virgin hair, it is $350 for my front partial, but only $295 for a full size piece. So I'm going to shop around some of the other sites. $175 is duable for me, but I want to see what other companies will charge for the smaller piece.

CCS

Reaction score
I think this means the production cost is very low compared to the price, and the price is strictly determined by the market demand.

CCS

Reaction score
It is amazing how a cure can be so affordable, but just because someone tells me it is cheaper, and I get excited and then find out it is the same price as before, I get all bent out of shape and then search around to see if I can find the promised price elsewhere.

If it is the market price, it mostly likely will not be cheaper elsewhere. But if front partials actually go for 2 for $190, then I don't see why my extra 4 square inches (2 on each temple) would drive my price up that much. So it is worth price hunting. Coolpieces.com is under construction. I read that there are two other sites, but I'll have to dig to find them.