hair pieces in perspective

CCS

Reaction score
I'm doing a google search, and so far every other place costs a lot more than toplace. Coolpiece is $250 just for stock pieces. I guess I'll go with toplace then.

and they are kind of right. My front is about 40% bigger than a usual front partial.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS, MB,

So starting off I should be looking at the piece obviously (size- use saran wrap 'mold' and measures, base type- swiss lace for best undetectability, breathability and little expected wear and tear, hair colour and waviness- send in sample, density- a little above current density), type of glue (acrylic because it's waterproof), shearing scissors for density adjustment, dye conditioner for colour matching, tape/clip just in case, adhesive remover, piece shampoo, special deodorant/antiperspirant for scalp?, other scalp cleaning products? A spare hair piece before I actually take the plunge.

Am I missing anything here?

CCS

Reaction score
I think I found a loop hole in Toplace's pricing. I can put two templates back to back, and fit them on 7x11, which is less than 80cm2, which means I get two custom pieces for $175. I don't know if they will like the sudden change in angle right in the middle though, but they say they will follow any template. So now I have to make a duplicate template.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
When did they say you're going to get your order CCS? Did you order one or two?

(//*YATO*//)

Reaction score
"To each his own." We are all entitled to our own opinion. We can choose to see things however we like... but we should realize that in-so-doing we will see just that, only what we believe. We DO NOT consciously formulate opinions on everything we are opinionated on! It may seem hard to believe, but in many cases, we are simply products of our environment; deductively programmed by the world around us.

That there are differences in opinion, means that there is no absolute, or worldly truth. Therefore, the answer we're all looking for must be the differential of opinions, or in other words, a compromise.

However, hardly any of us have actual, first-hand experience wearing a "piece," especially not those most actively against it. Those that did not have truly positive experiences, still prefer "wearing" to being bald, and neither referrenced, what seems to be, the lastest technology and precision that yields the best results. Yet, those that actually "wear" explain everything we could possibly need to know about it, from perception of oneself and the interpretation of those perceiving them, to maintenance, care, practice and expense. Rather than "beat a dead horse" with the same ancient, argumentative cliches justified by specific, extraordinary, circumstantial cases, I suggest for those "naysayers" to "walk a mile in another man's shoes," that way they could possibly offer us their valuable opinions rather than hearsay and the exaggeration of gossip.

While I won't discredit the notion that there is, undoubtedly, some "obvious piece-wearin'" going on out there, I do believe that is the exception rather than the rule. That is my opinion. Technology has advanced, and continues to progress from the days of old when "wearing hair" was in its infancy and became known as the mockery that many still know it as today. However, one only gets what one puts in. A valuable example of this is MichiganBaldy. I watched the free version of his video and thought it was really amazing. Before, I held the same opinion as the rest of the uneducated public, but I am now completely transformed.

I honestly doubt that the majority of people could detect "one, that wears with care." Even under the watchful eye of our balding scrutiny, I believe most would go undetected. We must realize that we are all so obsessed with our situation that our eyes may even begin to deceive us, and our jealousy will cause us to overlook some while mistakening others. While many of us have much experience examining every head of hair we see, we are much more inclined toward identity and bias. While damaging to universal acceptance, I believe that the stigmas attached to "wearing hair" paradoxically allow it to go, for the most part (in the better case), unnoticed and in a sense, accepted. I think most people have a lagging interpretation of the science of "wearing hair", and therefore, have an unrealistic vision and expectation.

I am personally giving it a lot of consideration, and I look forward to CCS posting his results! Good Luck!

"Do not try to [see] the [wig]. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no [wig]. Then you'll see, that it is not the [wig] that bends, it is only yourself."

s.a.f

Reaction score
You'll have to go to toplace if you want to see CCS's peice.
The thing with hairpeices is nearly everyone has a strong opinion on the subject. It seems that people generally fall into 2 catargories, those who are comfortable with the idea of wearing (and the majority of these do) and those who would never even consider it an option.

But the arguement of obvious rugs is pretty much a non issue, anyone with even the slightest knowledge of the subject knows that modern peices are completley natural looking. The only time they become obvious is when some middle aged guy attempts to recreate the hair of a teenager and sports a thick jet black nw1.

The main reason for the people noticing a peice is obvious, how do you go from not having a full head of hair to having a significant improvement overnight?

There is a simple stigma to wearing a hairpiece and it stems from the fact that the majority of the public are not in the situation where they have to ever consider wearing one. Its all to easy to frown upon wearers if you dont have to deal with the problem of m.p.b yourself.
Anything that is fake or misleading is looked down upon especially in the feild of male cosmetic improvement.
And wearing hair is the worlds oldest solution to hairloss and no matter how much things have progressed over the years it always will be seen as an acient method.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Only thing about pieces is what happens when you live with a girl? I mean she'd have to be uber sweet to put up with you putting on a piece, in fact she'd probably be the sort that would love you if you were totally bald anyway?

s.a.f

Reaction score
easynow said:
Only thing about pieces is what happens when you live with a girl? I mean she'd have to be uber sweet to put up with you putting on a piece, in fact she'd probably be the sort that would love you if you were totally bald anyway?

I think thats the biggest worry for some guys. You've got to ask yourself how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot? :agree:

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm.. say I had a girlfriend who looked like Kelly Brook, was an awesome person, but she had to put a wig on every morning or twice a week whatever. I don't know, could I live with that? maybe since girls do spend fecking hours getting ready anyway they could all be bald and we wouldn't know.

But you're right it is somehow different from that perspective.