Hair much worse on Propecia now

Karamba

Reaction score
Hi guys, iv been using Propecia every other day for 10 weeks now, and my hair is much worse is it good sign? a bad sign?

So frustrating... i hear theories about this being a good sign as my weak hair is getting replace by stronger one, and bad theories such as hyperposomethingism which states my hormones are out of control and all ill do is shed

is E.O.D ok?

so what now guys?... help

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey I think I am suffering from the same problem. I am just on Propecia and Nizoral, and I seem to find that my hair has gotten thinner all over, even the back and the side.

Doesnt show up on photo though, so I am not sure how accurate it is. My front to vertex though also seems thinner, but looks similar in photos. So Im kinda stumped.

I sure how my hair will thicken up soon though. I am on my 5th week on propecia.

Karamba

Reaction score
Man, its an emotional wreck...
I can barely take it...

Can anyone explain why the doner area might thin (ears/sides) like the guy that replied here stated? how is that possible?
i never had any crown problem (only frontal) and after 2 months i feel thinning there... am i ok guys? why is this happening?

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Karamba said:
Can anyone explain why the doner area might thin (ears/sides) like the guy that replied here stated? how is that possible?
i never had any crown problem (only frontal) and after 2 months i feel thinning there... am i ok guys? why is this happening?

Give it time, dude. The explanation as to why the sides might thin is because a lot of guys with male pattern baldness lose hair there as well. For lots of guys (myself included) the temple points (that triangular clump of hair that sticks out of your forehead above the side burns) disappear and the hairline on the sides just goes straight up from the burns to the top of your head. The hair on the side of your head generally tends to thin out a bit as well for lots of guys. For me when I started finasteride my main problem area was just the crown, but after a while on finasteride I noticed my sides had thinned out a bit. Judging by pics of my maternal grandfather who I think has the pattern I'm following, I would have lost hair there as well eventually, so the finasteride just sped up the process and eventually it grew it back. This could be what's going on with your crown. You were going to lose it there eventually (probably sooner than later) and the finasteride is just getting rid of the hairs that are already have some dht damage. Chance are it will come back the same it was before or thicker.

Finasteride is a long term commitment. If you feel something might be really wrong get a blood test done, but most likely you're just experiencing a bit of a shed. I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but all you can do is ride it out.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Jokerman said:
Karamba said:

Give it time, dude. The explanation as to why the sides might thin is because a lot of guys with male pattern baldness lose hair there as well. For lots of guys (myself included) the temple points (that triangular clump of hair that sticks out of your forehead above the side burns) disappear and the hairline on the sides just goes straight up from the burns to the top of your head. The hair on the side of your head generally tends to thin out a bit as well for lots of guys. For me when I started finasteride my main problem area was just the crown, but after a while on finasteride I noticed my sides had thinned out a bit. Judging by pics of my maternal grandfather who I think has the pattern I'm following, I would have lost hair there as well eventually, so the finasteride just sped up the process and eventually it grew it back. This could be what's going on with your crown. You were going to lose it there eventually (probably sooner than later) and the finasteride is just getting rid of the hairs that are already have some dht damage. Chance are it will come back the same it was before or thicker.

Finasteride is a long term commitment. If you feel something might be really wrong get a blood test done, but most likely you're just experiencing a bit of a shed. I know it's not what everyone wants to hear, but all you can do is ride it out.

I must say, my temple hair is extremely strong. The triangular clump does not look miniaturized. The hair feels thinner, but it could be due to the fact that I trimmed my hair about a 3 weeks to a month ago. This was why I hesitate to attribute the thinner feel to finasteride. Also, the physical appearance remains the same, as my shedding amount remained relatively constant and the photos still looked the same after a month.

Karamba

Reaction score
I have to say guys, i started reading about Hyper Reflex Hyperandrogenicity
and im terribly afraid i have it.

I started taking it every other day for nearly 2.5 months now (10 weeks) and i can see worsening of my hairloss.
Its really amazing, i lose alot of hair in the hairline and frontal area.

or whatever you call it. How do i know if the shed is a good sign for new hairs coming in stronger? or that my hormoes are raging in my body and i will only lose hair. man, this is really depressing. i just want to have good hair and be healthy.

Is there a way i can be sure this is a good shed? i'm finding myself scratching my head alot and having itches and i never had them, ever. My hairloss now i visible and it was NEVER was. i even got a first comment the other day.

man i am just a mess, really.
i need some help you guys, what do you think?

Karamba

Reaction score
I also want to note my sex drive remains the same if not higher (it was always high i guess), and i kinda feel depressed more lately. alot of mood swings too.

I also lost about a kilo, and i feel less mascular.

Thanks again.

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Why not take the correct dosage, 1 mg. a day, and see how you respond? If you're worried, go see a hair doctor and let him evaluate your hair loss.

NeedHair247

Reaction score
Hey Karamba
I suggest you keep at it for AT LEAST 1 year
in the propecia study, people lost hair in the beginning then by the end of the year mark they were much better off.

I do suggest you get blood work done at least every 3 months for your hormones (DHT Test Estro etc) and Liver, because it may not be too bad right now, but it MAY get worse over time, just depends on the person!

I also advise you use minoxidil and nizoral shampoo, if you aren't already. minoxidil REALLY helps!