Hair much worse on Finasteride after 9 months (with pictures)

Stan5409

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started finasteride in December/January of 2020/2021, and after about 9 months my hair is far worse. Basically constant shed since I started and no sign of regrowth. My hair had no diffuse thinning when I started. Now It's completely diffuse all over and I can't style my hair the way I used to.

Why is this happening and what can I do from here to get back to baseline?

Sorry I have no true baseline photos, but I have photos from May (even after I was below baseline), and now in August/Sep (where I'm FAR below baseline). I also included one from February (probably almost baseline), where you can see the massive change in density in just the last 6 months.

Please help lol.
If you can add topical Dutasteride which is stronger that "F"."
"The main difference between finasteride and dutasteride is that finasteride is selective for type II 5AR while dutasteride inhibits both type I and type II. Dutasteride not only blocks both types of receptors but also does so much more effectively.Apr 17, 2020"
"The researchers concluded that although both medications are effective at treating hair loss in men, dutasteride “seems to provide a better efficacy compared with finasteride” with a broadly similar rate of side effects.Jun 21, 2021' MORE to consider. Get a quality 100% peppermint oil to add to your solutions for improved circulation and possibly absorption. You might also add Derma rolling before or after application which increases absorption and is also used successfully for years by Dermatologists for scars and wrinkles. You can do it yourself at home. I don't know if you just left it out of the information you provided but Finasteride alone won't cut it. The various drugs and methods do different things for your hair. I won't mention a couple of things I have access to because of a lack of studies.

Stan5409

My Regimen
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com needs more of you, my friend. Pithy and with extensive memorized/ingrained knowledge of male androgens, it appears in general.

Now Janey wishes to know more about the impossible to pronounce, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androstenedione

How does it compare to upstream androgens or is it more so analogous to T in terms of effects and molecular structure. Analogs rock especially if you can re-arrange isomers to do different things or yes, similar things. Analog designer drugs might be technically illegal but this only holds up in court if they are structurally the same or similar. Thus, fetanyl and morphine are structurally unrelated but fetanyl is engineered to bind even more strongly to the same receptors causing similar but stronger effects particularly with regards to breathing.

Here are two all but identical meds that Janey has used:

Janey
This is a major concern of mine. While I don't take amphetamines, I do take a drug that acts like one but is not in the family that drug. I suffer from MTHFR and while it sounds like a dirty word one might hear in the inner city it's a genetic disease inherited by one or both of your parents. Bastards! A doctor tested me for fatigue I've had all of my life and said I have both variants where most have only one. The drug I take, Nuvigil, wakes you up but is nothing like amphetamines. It's prescribed for narcoleptics and people with sleep apnea or spit shifts. Since it's still a stimulant and wonder if it can contribute to hair loss like many other drugs do. Another on the list that can cause hair loss is Wellbutrin which is an antidepressant. I take it for the side effects only not depression. When going through Prase 1,2,and 3 studies GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) saw about 70% had an increased libido, men and women. For me that was an understatement so this drug helps with for the side effect with Finasteride.

Ethany8090

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've gotten blood tests to rule out any thyroid issues - it was definitely the finasteride that has caused my hair to deteriorate so quickly in just 9 months. I'm planning on getting blood tests for dht and testosterone to see if my dht levels are low (if the drug is actually working or not). If my dht is low, then I'm planning on using Fluridil with the finasteride to block and extra androgens on the scalp. Does this seem like a good plan? If my dht isn't low then I could maybe try dutasteride?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've gotten blood tests to rule out any thyroid issues - it was definitely the finasteride that has caused my hair to deteriorate so quickly in just 9 months. I'm planning on getting blood tests for dht and testosterone to see if my dht levels are low (if the drug is actually working or not). If my dht is low, then I'm planning on using Fluridil with the finasteride to block and extra androgens on the scalp. Does this seem like a good plan? If my dht isn't low then I could maybe try dutasteride?
Blocking DHT is actually the problem that causes the side effects from Finasteride, Dutasteride and similar.

Hence the new upcoming treatments in the pipeline are using different approaches at combating hairloss and see this as an archaic approach.

You might want to consider giving your hair a break from anti-androgens to recover. It helped my hair after stopping Finasteride for about 6 months, I noticed my hair slowly starting to get thicker with better density and volume. I'd suggest once your hair recovers a bit then you could use things like Minoxidil + Microneedling.

Ethany8090

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blocking DHT is actually the problem that causes the side effects from Finasteride, Dutasteride and similar.

Hence the new upcoming treatments in the pipeline are using different approaches at combating hairloss and see this as an archaic approach.

You might want to consider giving your hair a break from anti-androgens to recover. It helped my hair after stopping Finasteride for about 6 months, I noticed my hair slowly starting to get thicker with better density and volume. I'd suggest once your hair recovers a bit then you could use things like Minoxidil + Microneedling.
Do you have pictures of your hair recovery off finasteride? I'm just a bit worried about stopping and it getting much worse.

Ethany8090

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stack baby, stack but only the Big 3 Janey says....
I'm not against minoxidil or anything, just want to try to stabilize my hair before adding a growth stimulant so I know exactly what's working and what's not. And want to figure out what the issue with finasteride has been and why I've lost so much since starting. Then I'll add minoxidil once I'm stabilized to hopefully get back what I've lost..... or if I just keep losing then I'll add it in sooner but hopefully I can find a way to stabilize!

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not against minoxidil or anything, just want to try to stabilize my hair before adding a growth stimulant so I know exactly what's working and what's not. And want to figure out what the issue with finasteride has been and why I've lost so much since starting. Then I'll add minoxidil once I'm stabilized to hopefully get back what I've lost..... or if I just keep losing then I'll add it in sooner but hopefully I can find a way to stabilize!
Valid reasons all and you have thought this through for which I commend, not condemn lol, you highly. Just don't wait too long!
Janey

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of your hair recovery off finasteride? I'm just a bit worried about stopping and it getting much worse.
I doubt it could get much worse since Finasteride seems to have already made your hair worse than it was before.

I stopped using Finasteride about 4 years ago now, so I definitely don't have pictures of that long ago so unfortunately you won't have anything to measure my past with my current, however I am Norwood 2 or 2.5 such that from pictures or in real life you won't be able to see any noticeable hairloss.

Last edited:

Ethany8090

My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt it could get much worse since Finasteride seems to have already made your hair worse than it was before.

I stopped using Finasteride about 4 years ago now, so I definitely don't have pictures of that long ago so unfortunately you won't have anything to measure my past with my current, however I am Norwood 2 or 2.5 such that from pictures or in real life you won't be able to see any noticeable hairloss, however I do know for myself that I have have reduced density currently as compared to my younger days.
Hmm, I guess I just don't understand why blocking DHT would cause more hair loss (unless it's because of the rise in testosterone on the scalp). I'd love to be able to regain what I've lost, but it seems unlikely that would happen if I stopped. Might try fluridil for 6 months first and see if that helps, then maybe I'll take a break if it doesn't lol

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I just don't understand why blocking DHT would cause more hair loss (unless it's because of the rise in testosterone on the scalp). I'd love to be able to regain what I've lost, but it seems unlikely that would happen if I stopped. Might try fluridil for 6 months first and see if that helps, then maybe I'll take a break if it doesn't lol
Perhaps reflex hyper androgenicity, upregulation of AR. Who knows the effect of finasteride if you don’t actually need it and are just BDD or T.E? I believe such situations are quite rare, however also possible. Our genes and response to medication can vastly differ. But then again maybe your hair loss is just that aggressive. Hard to say. What’s your family history?

Fluridil is pretty weak. But it does work very differently from finasteride. I would try RU and oral minoxidil since they are more powerful.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps reflex hyper androgenicity, upregulation of AR. Who knows the effect of finasteride if you don’t actually need it and are just BDD or T.E? I believe such situations are quite rare, however also possible. Our genes and response to medication can vastly differ. But then again maybe your hair loss is just that aggressive. Hard to say. What’s your family history?

Fluridil is pretty weak. But it does work very differently from finasteride. I would try RU and oral minoxidil since they are more powerful.
Where have you been? All of the threads need you and your stoic, steady advice and especially your knowledge of the forbidden steroid and stacking or is it, staking, world?

Best,
Janey

Ethany8090

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, you should get blood work. Maybe you don’t respond to finasteride but might to dutasteride.
Right, I'm getting bloodwork to see where my DHT levels are at and if they're low (means finasteride is working), then maybe the increase in testosterone is wreaking havoc on my scalp which is why I was thinking fluridil (more tested than RU, and don't need anything that strong since I'll still be on finasteride). My dad has a full head of hair at 70, but lots of bald men on my moms side.

altsequence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, I'm getting bloodwork to see where my DHT levels are at and if they're low (means finasteride is working), then maybe the increase in testosterone is wreaking havoc on my scalp which is why I was thinking fluridil (more tested than RU, and don't need anything that strong since I'll still be on finasteride). My dad has a full head of hair at 70, but lots of bald men on my moms side.
Ru gave me bad sides. Half a dosing of Fluridil (Eucapil) seems to be helping. Not knowing anything more than what you've provided, my best assumption is that the decrease of DHT conversion has led to an increase if free T which your follicles are reacting to. I'd introduce Eucapil before minoxidil, as you'd probably prefer to reach some stability before getting open palm slapped with a minoxidil shed in addition to what you're experiencing.