hair loss with intense itching

essie

Reaction score
I have been losing my hair for at least a year now and now it is at the point where it is noticeable. My scalp itches badly and there is some scalp pain involved also. My hair has turned very dry and brittle.
I just had blood work done by my dermatologist and I get the results back in a few days.
I read on one message board that soy can contribute to hair loss and I have been taking the dietary supplement Estroven for a few years now. Could this be the cause of my hair loss?
Does anyone else know why my scalp would be so itchy? Is it a scalp condition?
Please help, I can't think of anything else but my hair loss. :!:

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Essie

Your derm did not look at your scalp? It sounds like what I have lived with for a few years now and finally have it under control.Seborrheic Dermatitis can cause severe scalp pain.If you have Telogen Effluvium that also can cause burning scalp syndrome( I had that also and it was a nightmare).

diskobox

Reaction score
essie said:
I have been losing my hair for at least a year now and now it is at the point where it is noticeable. My scalp itches badly and there is some scalp pain involved also. My hair has turned very dry and brittle.
I just had blood work done by my dermatologist and I get the results back in a few days.
I read on one message board that soy can contribute to hair loss and I have been taking the dietary supplement Estroven for a few years now. Could this be the cause of my hair loss?
Does anyone else know why my scalp would be so itchy? Is it a scalp condition?
Please help, I can't think of anything else but my hair loss. :!:
Soy does not directly cause hair loss, but it can contribute to a thyroid problem. Soy is known to cause or worsen hypothyroidism in some people. Hair loss is one of the major symptoms of hypothyroidism. Many people with hypothyroidism complain of dry, brittle, and unmanageable hair with an itchy and dry scalp.

Whatever you do, don't depend on your dermatologist to check your thyroid levels and diagnose you. Many people in the 'normal range' for TSH levels are still hypo. You need to go to a doctor who will take more thorough tests and get to the bottom of your problem.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdocs.htm

PZ

Reaction score
I have exactly the same thing. Itching, hairloss for about a year, starting to see my scalp badly, pain and hair unusually dry. I was told it was fibrosing alopecia which has exactly NONE of the symptoms. I'm searching for anyone else who has this that can give me more insight.

You're not alone. but I'm very sorry can't help much at this point. :(

PZ

Reaction score
I have exactly the same thing. Itching, hairloss for about a year, starting to see my scalp badly, pain and hair unusually dry. I was told it was fibrosing alopecia which has exactly NONE of the symptoms. I'm searching for anyone else who has this that can give me more insight.

You're not alone. but I'm very sorry can't help much at this point. :(

The Gardener

Reaction score
Scalp irritiation can exacerbate the hairloss cycle. This is not to say that scalp irritation in and of itself causes it, but good scalp condition can slow the cycle down at surface level.

I suggest adding in some medicated shampoos if you havent already. Cycle in some T/Gel to keep naturally occuring fungi at bay, and if you are using a topical treatment like minoxidil, then T/Sal helps with absorbtion and helps reduce flaking. Given your level of irritation, there is a T/Gel variant that you can find at grocery stores called 'T/Gel anti-itch' which contains menthol, a topical anesthetic. It helps a LOT with the itching sensations and over time should really improve the overall feel of your scalp.