Votes: 76 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 59.4%

• Total voters

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Every generation is way too obsessed with looking good when they are young. It's not some recent development.

I would grant that it is worse now than ever. There has been a change because photography & video is so common. But young people tend to overestimate the extent of the change. When you look at an older generation's careless attitude about their appearance today, you aren't seeing how they acted when they were young.

Also, little personal cameras have been around for a long time. Several generations now. Even the instant polaroid type ones have been around since the 1940s. They were full color & common by the 1970s.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every generation is way too obsessed with looking good when they are young. It's not some recent development.

I would grant that it is worse now than ever. There has been a change because photography & video is so common. But young people tend to overestimate the extent of the change. When you look at an older generation's careless attitude about their appearance today, you aren't seeing how they acted when they were young.

Also, little personal cameras have been around for a long time. Several generations now.
It's only worse now because if you don't actively avoid it, you're going to be bombarded with more unrealistic beauty standards then ever before, and the more people who are subjected to the same thing the more the needle shifts for overall beauty standards.

Instagram will show you the most beautiful people on the planet every time you open it even if you don't follow those people. Same goes for newer things like TikTok.

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why? Gen Z has normalized and embraced everything else. People just base this assumption on literally a small portion of the culture that revolves around the influencer part of social media, when in reality a lot of gen Z is moving away from social media culture because of how toxic it is. No one has FB, instagram real usage is in decline, tiktok is geared towards 13 year olds, etc.

It's funny that you say it's all virtue signaling, because I really don't think it is.
We aren't going to agree. That's okay.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The best thing I did in the last few years was to stay all from most social medias. If some of you guys are stressed about them, try to avoid it for some time. If you disassociate your self steem from your looks, you will be a happier person as you age. After yours 25-30 you will already notice that ppl's looks will start to rot. You don't need to be old for that.

I will be 30 years old this month. I was never beautiful, tall or rich, but I am having more love opportunities than ever. I have what now I consider as the most important quality to have if someone wants to look great with age: the will to stay health and fit as long as I can. It is pretty easy to call attention for yourself if you are one of the few ppl in good shape in the room.

Most ppl, with hair or not, after finding a love partner will settle down and lose their looks over time. If you are doing your homework to stay in good shape, you will be already in a select group, with hair or not.

Last edited:

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Define "cured". I believe there will be a topical AA that will have the effectiveness of ru58841 but no side effects. There would be no excuse for going bald. However, hair cloning and stem cell therapy is probably decades away.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Define "cured". I believe there will be a topical AA that will have the effectiveness of ru58841 but no side effects. There would be no excuse for going bald. However, hair cloning and stem cell therapy is probably decades away.
NW7->NW1, by any means. You don't need any of those things you mentioned to cure hairloss, but stem cell therapies and "cloning" are on the table in this decade.

Topical AA stronger then RU will be released next year in China and an AR degrader a year or two after that, never mind 10 years from now.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about a vaccine or surgery to turn off androgen receptors on scalp permanently? Imo any treatment that must be taken consistently for life will not be consider as cure at all even if there are no side effects

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about a vaccine or surgery to turn off androgen receptors on scalp permanently? Imo any treatment that must be taken consistently for life will not be consider cures at all even if they have no side effects
Funny that you should mention that, I saw this release on CRISPRoff on a different science forum the other day. 100% going to win the nobel prize for this study. They basically hacked CRISPR so that they can make reversible changes to DNA that don't alter the structure itself but instead silence chosen gene expression and allow cell division to carry on without the expression of the chosen gene. The cells then have healthy copies of themselves with the intended benefit. Very much so more then 10 years away but these things appear to be picking up speed.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny that you should mention that, I saw this release on CRISPRoff on a different science forum the other day. 100% going to win the nobel prize for this study. They basically hacked CRISPR so that they can make reversible changes to DNA that don't alter the structure itself but instead silence chosen gene expression and allow cell division to carry on without the expression of the chosen gene. The cells then have healthy copies of themselves with the intended benefit. Very much so more then 10 years away but these things appear to be picking up speed.

Yeah CRISPR will also be a solution for male pattern baldness as it can rewrite the DNA code that could make scalp follicles to be immune to dht, and it looks like the editing is theoretically heritable which the future generations will get to be immune to balding too. However the problem is the difficulty to locate those genes related to scalp androgen receptors and ways to turn them off, also how can gene engineering be legalized and enter the market as there are so many groups like the religions heavily against it, at least it won't be a cure in our life time.

Last edited:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about a vaccine or surgery to turn off androgen receptors on scalp permanently? Imo any treatment that must be taken consistently for life will not be consider as cure at all even if there are no side effects

We also don't have cures fingernail growth. Body odor. Getting thirsty or hungry. Tooth cavities. Etc.

If hair loss get a no-bullshit treatment or prevention method then it will be a game-changer. It doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be good enough not to be frustrating & embarrassing. The 5ar drugs are basically a sick joke for many of us. Even Minoxidil is too much of a PITA for the minor regrowth it offers.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah CRISPR will also be a solution for male pattern baldness as it can rewrite the DNA code that could make scalp follicles to be immune to dht, and it looks like the editing is theoretically heritable which the future generations will get to be immune to balding too. However the problem is the difficulty to locate those genes related to scalp androgen receptors and ways to turn them off, also how can gene engineering be legalized and enter the market as there are so many groups like the religions heavily against it, at least it won't be a cure in our life time.
No, nothing edited with CRISPR right now touches the genome, none of it will be passed down. You're also very much underestimating where we are in the curve of innovation right now. This isn't 1990s science anymore, it's being used on humans in a clinical setting and the pace is only going to speed up with AI enablement.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think savethemane may have misunderstood this line in the article: "the introduced changes can even be passed down to future lines of cells". This doesn't mean that the changes can be passed on to your children.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think trialacc may have misunderstood this line in the article: "the introduced changes can even be passed down to future lines of cells". This doesn't mean that the changes can be passed on to your children.
I didn't take it from the article, the other poster wrote "looks like the editing is theoretically heritable which the future generations will get to be immune to balding too" and I assumed he meant children, yeah, not cell lines. The whole point of CRISPR is so that future cell lines inherit the favorable change, but right now nothing corrected with CRISPR can be inherited by children.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The point of CRISPR is to edit the genome, I think you're getting it confused with the germ line. The germ line is sex cells (sperm, egg) and changes to these are inheritable, everything else is somatic cells and changes to these aren't passed down.
Yeah, I meant germ line lol my bad.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't take it from the article, the other poster wrote "looks like the editing is theoretically heritable which the future generations will get to be immune to balding too" and I assumed he meant children, yeah, not cell lines. The whole point of CRISPR is so that future cell lines inherit the favorable change, but right now nothing corrected with CRISPR can be inherited by children.
My bad. Since you were the one being quoted I thought you were the one who said that. I saw the post but I paid no mind to the username. I just skim quickly when I'm on here so don't be offended if I mix you up with someone else

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
My bad. Since you were the one being quoted I thought you were the one who said that. I saw the post but I paid no mind to the username. I just skim quickly when I'm on here so don't be offended if I mix you up with someone else
Not a problem, I try and do the same.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And I also want to get a new pair of eyes with healthy visions, my shitty nearsightedness and astigmatism is just as much as my hairline in screwing up my life.

Maybe your presbyopia is nature’s way of blurring your view of the hair you have already lost. In my case I look a lot better hairwise with my glasses off.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, nothing edited with CRISPR right now touches the genome, none of it will be passed down.
There are many ways to edit gene with CRISPR, if it is done on adults then yeah it most likely won't get pass down. But CRISPR can also be done on embryos and fertilized eggs, like the other comments said if the changes is in germ line sex cells (sperm, egg), those could be inheritable