Hair Loss Treatment Updates To Look Forward To In 2020

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This post was mainly made because the end of the year has become pretty quiet, and we all need hope right? It's why we're all here!

For some more detail:

- I think hairclone is essentially an RCH-01 type treatment, utilising cultured DP cells. This approach showed promise in the Intercytex trials at maintenance and slight regrowth. We have no idea what the RCH-01 trials have shown. The dream for this treatment is providing maintenance for people who can't or won't take finasteride.

-Samumed won't be out until late 2021 but if proof of concept can be proven definitively by the end of next year, it's very hopeful that early norwoods will have a new treatment to maintain their hair, allowing for hair transplant or whatever else . Note that hair loss drugs show compound efficacy, so we have no idea if the product is synergestic with Minoxidil but it's likely it would be.

-Breezula showed great 6 months results but there's doubt about whether results started to regress. Having looked at the phase 2 data, the dose response wasn't all that robust. I have a lot of questions about their phase 2 data, primarily I'd love to know the true adherence of patients to the treatment. Again, you'd hope that when it's released its improved by combination with other agents. Id also be curious to see how much finasteride results could be improved by combination with this additional anti androgen. Again, this wouldn't be out until late 2021 anyway.

-Tsuji and Tissuse are both mysterious. Tsuji has been saying 2020 since at least 2012. At one point it was stipulated they were aiming for clinical trials in March 2019. Earlier this year, someone from Tsuji team gave an interview in which it was implied human clinical studies were already being undertaken. I can't vouch for the reliability of this though. You'd hope that the trial is imminent based on the statements released from the team over the last decade. Regarding Tissuse, their technology is being licenced by a company called J Hewitt. I'm not familiar with the company, however the CEO was a proponent of PRP from it's inception. He gave an interview in which he claimed a small trial would begin in December of 2019. Now, the trial is slated for January. I can't vouch for the reliability of the sources again.

- Regarding all other cloning companies, Rapunzel is a mystery. Stemore is a lab led by Alexander Tersikh, who made big news 5 years ago for his cloning breakthrough. Allergan have invested big money into his lab and he feels the challenge of getting hair to grow in the correct direct is close to being solved by new scaffolding techniques. He gave an interview in which he claimed trials could start late 2020. You'd hope that there is no smoke without fire and hair cloning really is imminent. It truly is the final frontier if even one of these cloning companies can make it through.

For all the pessimism in hair loss research it is inarguably a bright outlook. I've never known a year as packed as 2020 and I first following hair loss research in 2015. Funnily enough, one of the first things I remember reading about was Samumeds product doing quickfire phase 1 and phase 2 trials. 5 years later, their product is close to phase 3 completion. Drug manufacture is a slow and frustrating process but things are moving forward.

Oligoelement

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny how in 2009 we were saying the same about the 2010's
Yeah, but based on what? I think I'm still being too optimistic, but back then they said it based on nothing and waitnig for nothing. They just said it in hopes that the technological advancement would have a parallel effect on hair loss research. At least we have something to look forward to, so maybe our experience differs from that.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HairClone's treatment is very interesting. If they solve the funding problem quickly they could even offer the cell injections this year. So basically the same treatment as RCH-01 THIS year.

I am wondering if there is a way to help them speed things up using this community. What does everyone here think about a crowdfunding project?

dale2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr Rassman has a pharmacy that compounds topical finasteride already

Yes, that is one of many different kinds of topical fina versions prepared by compounded pharmacies around the world (US, EU) and even some pharma company elsewhere, either in a solution or gel form, but Almirall's (formerly Polichem) product will be the first one backed by a reputable pharma company. There is a long series of published studies that apply to its specific formulation (HPCH spray) which was devised to minimize systemic absorption. Not that I plan to use it but it definitely belongs to this list.

dale2

My Regimen
Reaction score
...winlevi will reach the market. For those who can afford it and use it, it could be an effective treatment seeing as it is the same drug in a lower concentration.

I read this before, that winlevi could be very expensive... but I don't understand why? Is there any source for this?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
As annoying as minoxidil is to apply, I don't really care if I have to keep using it. I would love to have a safer alternative to finasteride available but presently that seems like a longshot, as I hoped Breezula would have been that.

fugged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for both posts and the positivity, something desperately lacking.

As I wondered before, if hairclone is indeed going to be released, does anyone know if its only going to available in the UK? Id assume there will a line for miles also?

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for both posts and the positivity, something desperately lacking.

As I wondered before, if hairclone is indeed going to be released, does anyone know if its only going to available in the UK? Id assume there will a line for miles also?
You will only be able to get the treatment in the UK yes, but it doesn't matter where you are from

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
HairClone's treatment is very interesting. If they solve the funding problem quickly they could even offer the cell injections this year. So basically the same treatment as RCH-01 THIS year.

I am wondering if there is a way to help them speed things up using this community. What does everyone here think about a crowdfunding project?

Have you ever heard of an APPROVED medical treatment going commercial within a very short time frame?

Even when there are "break through" medical treatments within a pill-form, it takes +10 years to get to the market.

So how it "latest and greatest" within cloning therapy going to be launched within a very tight time frame?

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of an APPROVED medical treatment going commercial within a very short time frame?

Even when there are "break through" medical treatments within a pill-form, it takes +10 years to get to the market.

So how it "latest and greatest" within cloning therapy going to be launched within a very tight time frame?
You clearly haven't read up on them. They want to utilize the UK “Specials” designation. This makes it possible to get the treatment before its approved.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You clearly haven't read up on them. They want to utilize the UK “Specials” designation. This makes it possible to get the treatment before its approved.

So you rely on this

Who needs Specials and why
The patients who are most often prescribed an unlicensed medicine are the most vulnerable groups in society.

A premature baby that can't tolerate a standard dose; a stroke patient or older patient who has lost the swallow reflex and needs liquid medicine, a child with learning difficulties who won't take a tablet and needs a liquid format, a patient in intensive care who has specific intravenous nutritional needs, a cancer patient undergoing complex oncology or someone with skin problems who has an allergic reaction to common drug excipients and needs a preservative-free formulation.

Many licensed medicines are not developed in the correct dosage or formulation for these patients and so would be too costly for it to be commercially viable for pharmaceutical companies. This is why prescribers are given the freedom to prescribe any drug in any formulation for these patients. In some cases and for patients in hospital, these Specials are made up by the hospital pharmacy. In others, the patient can take their prescription to any pharmacist and their Special will be individually made to order for them and delivered usually the following day.

Because of MHRA regulations, companies can't provide information about an unlicensed medicine. However, please see the case studies page in this section for examples of how unlicensed medicine has benefited patients.

I don't think hairloss treatment is within that category

MrJolly26

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Only if Samumed´s product works we will have a chance to get better. Unfortunately, for the rest it will take longer than we may think. Hope 2020 will be a great year for us, but we will see in June!

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only if Samumed´s product works we will have a chance to get better. Unfortunately, for the rest it will take longer than we may think. Hope 2020 will be a great year for us, but we will see in June!
Gonna be a long 6 months if not longer ahhh lol.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
This post was mainly made because the end of the year has become pretty quiet, and we all need hope right? It's why we're all here!

For some more detail:

- I think hairclone is essentially an RCH-01 type treatment, utilising cultured DP cells. This approach showed promise in the Intercytex trials at maintenance and slight regrowth. We have no idea what the RCH-01 trials have shown. The dream for this treatment is providing maintenance for people who can't or won't take finasteride.

-Samumed won't be out until late 2021 but if proof of concept can be proven definitively by the end of next year, it's very hopeful that early norwoods will have a new treatment to maintain their hair, allowing for hair transplant or whatever else . Note that hair loss drugs show compound efficacy, so we have no idea if the product is synergestic with Minoxidil but it's likely it would be.

-Breezula showed great 6 months results but there's doubt about whether results started to regress. Having looked at the phase 2 data, the dose response wasn't all that robust. I have a lot of questions about their phase 2 data, primarily I'd love to know the true adherence of patients to the treatment. Again, you'd hope that when it's released its improved by combination with other agents. Id also be curious to see how much finasteride results could be improved by combination with this additional anti androgen. Again, this wouldn't be out until late 2021 anyway.

-Tsuji and Tissuse are both mysterious. Tsuji has been saying 2020 since at least 2012. At one point it was stipulated they were aiming for clinical trials in March 2019. Earlier this year, someone from Tsuji team gave an interview in which it was implied human clinical studies were already being undertaken. I can't vouch for the reliability of this though. You'd hope that the trial is imminent based on the statements released from the team over the last decade. Regarding Tissuse, their technology is being licenced by a company called J Hewitt. I'm not familiar with the company, however the CEO was a proponent of PRP from it's inception. He gave an interview in which he claimed a small trial would begin in December of 2019. Now, the trial is slated for January. I can't vouch for the reliability of the sources again.

- Regarding all other cloning companies, Rapunzel is a mystery. Stemore is a lab led by Alexander Tersikh, who made big news 5 years ago for his cloning breakthrough. Allergan have invested big money into his lab and he feels the challenge of getting hair to grow in the correct direct is close to being solved by new scaffolding techniques. He gave an interview in which he claimed trials could start late 2020. You'd hope that there is no smoke without fire and hair cloning really is imminent. It truly is the final frontier if even one of these cloning companies can make it through.

For all the pessimism in hair loss research it is inarguably a bright outlook. I've never known a year as packed as 2020 and I first following hair loss research in 2015. Funnily enough, one of the first things I remember reading about was Samumeds product doing quickfire phase 1 and phase 2 trials. 5 years later, their product is close to phase 3 completion. Drug manufacture is a slow and frustrating process but things are moving forward.
Well said.

dale2

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about exosomes? Not the similarly named company but the practice to inject them that several hair transplant doctors have begun or are planning to offer? They seem to be the most promising solution in the regenerative medicine field...

Last edited:

NiN

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the Choi CXXC5 thing will do it but it will take many pump and dumps until this is on the market. Happy balding until then.
Was there ever an update to the Bayer prolactin approach?

wencurebro

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just another minoxidil based topical.

how is it "just another minoxidil based topical" ? minoxidil is just one of three major ingredients
RT 1640 also got cyclosporine A (which works in the same way as WAY-31660) and a new chemical called RT175, which currently seeks FDA approval.
This might be much more effective than just minoxidil.

dale2

My Regimen
Reaction score
RT 1640 seems interesting but a long way from becoming available in 2020

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
how is it "just another minoxidil based topical" ? minoxidil is just one of three major ingredients
RT 1640 also got cyclosporine A (which works in the same way as WAY-31660) and a new chemical called RT175, which currently seeks FDA approval.
This might be much more effective than just minoxidil.
It's just another minoxidil to all the people out there who cant use it due to side effects. We lose once again.