Hair Loss/thinning At Crown And Top Of Head (f/21yo)

Oochooch

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a 21 year old female who has been suffering from hair issues for quite a while now. When I was in about 8/9th grade, I bleached my hair really bad and never brought it back up to tip top shape. As an Asian, I had really thick hair but now its very sparse. I visited several dermatologists but they were of no help. This is what I gathered about my scalp so far: It seems I'm not suffering from hair loss as I am suffering from hair thinning (or a little bit of both?). I've been told that my symptom is most severe at the top of my head and slightly less (but still pretty bad) around the crown of my head. Using the scalp microscope, I've compared the hair thickness in those areas to the hair on the bottom of the head where it is most thick, and have been told that it was 6 times thinner than my "healthy" hair. The number of hair (about 12 in a frame) were the same for most areas of my head, so I've been told that my problem was hair thinning. From a picture, you could see a lot of my scalp since the hair isn't enough to cover it. I have dandruff that I've tried to get rid of but nothing works. Also from the scalp microscope, I've been told that my scalp was "unstable" (the skin had these red lines?) and a treatment (which I couldn't afford) would work to activate my scalp to get my hair thickness back to healthy levels. I use a special scalp shampoo/conditioner (from Histemo?) and it stopped hair from falling out but the hair thinning is a problem. I also seem to lose a lot of the new, shorter hairs that are growing out. There is no family history of hair loss or anything like that. My hormone levels (especially thyroid) are all pretty normal and nothing is out of the ordinary. I had a period in 10th grade when I went on an intense diet and developed an eating disorder but it's all good now. I get moderate exercise and don't eat too much unhealthy foods. My scalp also itches and tingles? Sometimes it feels numb, especially at the top where it is most severe. I might pull on my hair a little and have it tingle/burn for a few minutes. I'm not sure what this condition is called and don't have the money to spare for a treatment that's almost $6000. I'm really not sure what to do at this point and won't have money to use for expensive treatment in the near future, so please help?

I’ve also tried PRP and don’t use any hair products. I rarely use hair dryers and even when I do, it’s on the cold setting so no heat gets on my scalp. I’ve tried keratin pills and MSM but nothing’s works.

Ray Baz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a 21 year old female who has been suffering from hair issues for quite a while now. When I was in about 8/9th grade, I bleached my hair really bad and never brought it back up to tip top shape. As an Asian, I had really thick hair but now its very sparse. I visited several dermatologists but they were of no help. This is what I gathered about my scalp so far: It seems I'm not suffering from hair loss as I am suffering from hair thinning (or a little bit of both?). I've been told that my symptom is most severe at the top of my head and slightly less (but still pretty bad) around the crown of my head. Using the scalp microscope, I've compared the hair thickness in those areas to the hair on the bottom of the head where it is most thick, and have been told that it was 6 times thinner than my "healthy" hair. The number of hair (about 12 in a frame) were the same for most areas of my head, so I've been told that my problem was hair thinning. From a picture, you could see a lot of my scalp since the hair isn't enough to cover it. I have dandruff that I've tried to get rid of but nothing works. Also from the scalp microscope, I've been told that my scalp was "unstable" (the skin had these red lines?) and a treatment (which I couldn't afford) would work to activate my scalp to get my hair thickness back to healthy levels. I use a special scalp shampoo/conditioner (from Histemo?) and it stopped hair from falling out but the hair thinning is a problem. I also seem to lose a lot of the new, shorter hairs that are growing out. There is no family history of hair loss or anything like that. My hormone levels (especially thyroid) are all pretty normal and nothing is out of the ordinary. I had a period in 10th grade when I went on an intense diet and developed an eating disorder but it's all good now. I get moderate exercise and don't eat too much unhealthy foods. My scalp also itches and tingles? Sometimes it feels numb, especially at the top where it is most severe. I might pull on my hair a little and have it tingle/burn for a few minutes. I'm not sure what this condition is called and don't have the money to spare for a treatment that's almost $6000. I'm really not sure what to do at this point and won't have money to use for expensive treatment in the near future, so please help?

I’ve also tried PRP and don’t use any hair products. I rarely use hair dryers and even when I do, it’s on the cold setting so no heat gets on my scalp. I’ve tried keratin pills and MSM but nothing’s works.

Hi have you tried castor oil with peppermint oil in? you can make this yourself but its very good at thickening your hair and regrowth.

Arlena

My Regimen
Reaction score

Check the rubber washers in your shower head!! My shower head had these black small washers that were degraded and giving off this black ink that was going in the water and all over me when I showered. Since I replaced my shower head and got rid of those washers my hair is growing back again. I would have never known if my shower head didn't break. I thought it was aging or hormones because I am 51 but it wasn't. Hope this helps!

Diannet

My Regimen
Reaction score
That itching of your scalp sounds like mine - and in me it comes down to the DHT (dihydro-testosterone). What I use is Saw Palmetto, both taken orally and also mixed in oil and massaged into my scalp. It specifically inhibits the DHT that causes hair to slow down instead of growing. Perhaps it will work for you too.