Hair Loss Finally Stopped But Now It's Breaking Like Crazy!

Little Belle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I will try to make this short. I started to notice significant hair loss about 2 years ago. I just turned 60. Once I noticed it (2 years ago) , I started using Minoxidil, taking a biotin supplement and using a hair loss shampoo and conditioner. The hair loss stopped (yay!), but I don''t have much left so I can't wear it down- it looks awful. It looks like a sheer curtain that you can see through. So, I use a claw clip to pull it back every day. I sleep with the claw clip in my hair too because I can't stand feeling hair on my neck. I took a good look at my hair this morning and more than 1/2 of it is broken off at chin length! The rest of my hair is collar bone length - just long enough to pull it back into the claw clip. I am getting it cut on Friday (as much as can be cut and still enable me to either pull it back into a clip or somehow put it up in back. I switched from putting my hair in a pony tail to using the claw clip because my pony tail has the diameter of a pencil and because I read pony tails can cause breakage. I never thought about the claw clip causing damage (until now). Can someone please suggest alternatives to the claw clip to get my hair up and back? There has got to be something out there that does not cause damage. Also, are there any products out there that really work to stop hair breakage? I probably need something to moisturize and strengthen my hair. Thank for any suggestions!

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
it sounds like your hair loss was menopausal loss? Did you ever do HRT? just curious.

I dont know what you can use it sounds like your hair is now fragile/thin caliber strands so you have to think of it as 'silk'..and be careful..use gentle things that wont be rough against it..I think maybe try bobby pins? or barrettes?

If you use a scrunchy they have fabric ones that are gentle.

I dont know what would go into the hair and strengthen it all you can do is 'coat' the outside wth a conditioner...try even doing at home treatments..but hair is 'dead' your not going to strengthen the caliber of the hair that is grown out of scalp...you can only keep the cuticle smooth via consdiioners and try not to over dry it or roughen it.

annhenderson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I experienced hair loss too cause of menopause. My friend recommended Niveau Labs Krill oil and flaxseed oil, So I ordered online and tried the supplements. I am amazed how it made my hair much softer, thicker and stronger it also really help reducing the menopause symptoms. I am taking it for half a year now.