Hair loss due to body-building.

stonedape

Reaction score
I'm an 18 year old body builder with longer curly hair (been called a Jew fro by others). I have a lower hair line but about an inch away from my hair line my hair is thinning in a small spot almost directly in the middle of my eyes. I was given a small pamphlet about hair loss and it told me that if I was an excessive body-builder and had a high liquid protein diet I would lose some hair. Now I wouldn't call working out 8-9 hours a week excessive nor would I call drinking protein drinks 4 times a week to be a high protein diet.

The balding spot isn't visible due to the amount of my hair but I was wondering if it was curable since my hair loss isn't genetic. The pamphlet was a hair-loss companies' (Nioxin) so I don't want to trust all of it as fact.

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score
Google search jay cutler - a top class bodybuilder ..with great hair

jay_cutler.jpg

Bodybuilding does not cause hairloss

s.a.f

Reaction score
And thats pumped full of steroids, most bodybuilders you'll find have great hair its just genetics.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Odie said:
Google search jay cutler - a top class bodybuilder ..with great hair

jay_cutler.jpg

Bodybuilding does not cause hairloss

body-building probably does increase rate of the balding process if you are genetically predisposed to go bald.

bodybuilding will probably never cause baldness in people who dont have the male pattern baldness gene.

ali777

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I swear, I have been drinking at least two 24oz Busch lagers after every workout - 4 to 6 days a week. I'm one of the only guys in the gym who is an alcoholic, and works out like a bodybuilder. (I never workout with a buzz tho, I drink afterwards only)

I don't use any "workout supplemental nutrition" crap - never have (you just sh*t it all out anyways - waste of money, IMO). You will get big gains from your workout routines - not "supplements" It's all about the intensity of the workout.

The one thing I do use is "red bull" 1 hour before a workout - it helps a lot.

I just use a multi vitamin + GSE, and GTE + the usual hairloss regimen - aka "Big 3" I have gained 30 pounds ( 5 pounds muscle, 25 pounds fat :mrgreen: )

No, seriously, the only workout supplemets that really work, IMO, are steroids. But, those I won't do (I have tried a few years ago), b/c they destroy your liver and cause cancer.

Hairloss, IMO, has very little, if nothing at all to do with working out. You will lose your hair regardless whether you work out or not - it really makes no difference.

Guys that go bald from bodybuilding are using the "juice" - period.

I knew a guy at uni, he was much worse than you. He would get up at midday, do a few chores then hit the gym around 6pm. After gym it was shower and dinner, and after dinner it was watching TV and drinking 4 cans of strong lager and a bottle of wine... He did this every single day for a year. I used to tell him to at least come out with us and have some fun rather then drink on his own, but he wasn't very social...

His body was in a very good shape, all that drinking must have helped :whistle:

Oh, he was also thinning in the vertex, he was really bothered about it and he kept on talking about. I don't think his hairloss was related to him working out.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Alcohol decreases testosterone levels and increases eastrogen levels. But the main fact reiterate here is:
There is nothing that has more influence that your own genetics.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Alcohol decreases testosterone levels and increases eastrogen levels. But the main fact reiterate here is:

So? Whatever helps, helps....

While genetic factors seem to play the principal role in the development and progression of androgenetic alopecia, lifestyle also plays a minor role as demonstrated by the vast increase in male and female pattern baldness in Japan after World War II, when the country moved to a higher calorie, higher fat diet and a more sedentary lifestyle. Also, pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) was either rare or non-existent among hunter-gatherer and other, less westernized societies eating in their traditional manner. [10]

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle or more sporadic exercise) has been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone, significantly lowering baseline DHT.[11] It has been suggested that weight training may have a detrimental effect on hair by increasing testosterone levels; however, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone as result of weight training.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgenic ... d_genetics

Obsidian

Reaction score
ChrisJ said:
s.a.f said:

While genetic factors seem to play the principal role in the development and progression of androgenetic alopecia, lifestyle also plays a minor role as demonstrated by the vast increase in male and female pattern baldness in Japan after World War II, when the country moved to a higher calorie, higher fat diet and a more sedentary lifestyle. Also, pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) was either rare or non-existent among hunter-gatherer and other, less westernized societies eating in their traditional manner. [10]

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle or more sporadic exercise) has been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone, significantly lowering baseline DHT.[11] It has been suggested that weight training may have a detrimental effect on hair by increasing testosterone levels; however, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone as result of weight training.[12]

Wikipedia is not an excellent source of reliable information. Besides as much as diet plays a role in hairloss explain the fat guys I have seen with NW1's on campus and the star of the track team at my school who is a NW3 and diffusing? It is genetics at the end of the day.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
ChrisJ said:
s.a.f said:

Wikipedia is not an excellent source of reliable information. Besides as much as diet plays a role in hairloss explain the fat guys I have seen with NW1's on campus and the star of the track team at my school who is a NW3 and diffusing? It is genetics at the end of the day.

As you can see, all those statements are sourced so you can go to original articles and find them if you dont mind going thru scientific reports.

You may as well stop treatment now since it is genetics at the end of the day.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'm not that much of moron to not think genetics won't win over treatments, all these do is give us a fighting chance. Diet/exercise probably plays a role but what about the environment, stress, and hormones?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Drugs like finasteride/dutasteride are effective enough to help most people, lifestyle changes such as diet/excercise wont make any difference.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Just to chime in to the discussion...

My friend is a bodybuilder, all natural, and i asked him about the relationship between weight lifting and hairloss (he suffers none btw) and he told me that it will not cause hairloss but people he knows in the gym take finasteride when they go on a round of steroids, even with no signs of hairloss.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Obsidian said:
I'm not that much of moron to not think genetics won't win over treatments, all these do is give us a fighting chance. Diet/exercise probably plays a role but what about the environment, stress, and hormones?

Those 2 former statements are contradictory. If genetics will win over treatments, then you have no fighting chance. If you meant to say "genetics will win over treatments eventually", there are so many guys who seem to maintain even after 10 yrs, some of them in the success stories section.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Drugs like finasteride/dutasteride are effective enough to help most people, lifestyle changes such as diet/excercise wont make any difference.

You are not qualified enough to make such a statement unless you have a phd and made research in relevant subjects.

So basically, I disagree with your personal opinions.

ChrisJ

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Just to chime in to the discussion...

My friend is a bodybuilder, all natural, and i asked him about the relationship between weight lifting and hairloss (he suffers none btw) and he told me that it will not cause hairloss but people he knows in the gym take finasteride when they go on a round of steroids, even with no signs of hairloss.

If you read the quotes, you'd see that there isnt a relationship necessarily. There MAY be a relationship, only if u do strength training without cardio or maybe lifting with high fat intake and only to those who are genetically susceptible.

So if these were true, an example would be a hypothetical person, who has male pattern baldness genes, may start baldin at age 20 instead of 25 and more rapidly because of bodybuilding/negative lifestyle effects. Or if he was born in Japan b4 world war 2, he might have started balding at age 30 and less rapidly bcause of positive lifestyle effects.

Rarely genetics are very precise, you may have the tallness genes but you can be 1.80 m or 2.20m depending on your diet and other environmental factors (such as playing basketball or swimming in high school).

s.a.f

Reaction score
ChrisJ said:
s.a.f said:

You are not qualified enough to make such a statement unless you have a phd and made research in relevant subjects.

So basically, I disagree with your personal opinions.

I dont have a PHD, just common sense. :whistle: The evidence is overwhelming but feel free to continue deluding yourself.

jr27

Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
Gym is the place I feel comfortable: most of the men are balding there.

haha its because there all juiced up and male pattern baldness just accelerates faster and faster....stupid meat heads....id rather stay slim and keep my hair then be jacked with a shinny head