Hair Loss Because Of Stress And Weight Loss

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I believe I started to lose hair around April of 2016. I did not begin to notice up until summer, I began to notice the sides of my forehead thinning or balding. My stress was to blame, I basically stressed out over that whole semester, i dont know why but I just did. I not only stressed but I also had lost 15 pounds in a short amount of time to play soccer for my community college in the upcoming season in fall, i was also weight lifting and never really ate enough carbs or protein for i can lose weight faster. I honestly never knew you can lose hair by not eating enough. In fall i let my hair grow out, it did not seem that bad but except my hairline within maybe an inch, there were not that many hairs covering it. So I ended up cutting it to a short 5 with clippers and have kept it that way since the start of December of 2016. I was hoping my whole head of hair would be okay by now but im just to impatient to the point that i think im going bald. There are some good signs though, I see a lot of baby hairs all throughout my hairline. I actually dont stress from school all that much like i did my first year of college because if i did keep stressing I would probably be bald by now lol. And my weight I actually gained 10 pounds after soccer, some fat but i think its healthy weight cuz my hair looks like its growing back but im just not sure if those baby hairs are just going to stay as baby hairs. I feel great in the part of my life right now I enjoy college now when before i would be stressed, and Im also drinking protein and working out and eating enough carbs and healthy food because I do go hard at the gym. So im just praying My hairline within an inch above my forehead gets thicker! What doyou guys think?
Thats my hair in november of 2016, 7 months after it began falling out. As you guys can see its just my hairline and mayne an inch above that was thinning out. So i guess all im asking is if my hair loss was because of my stress and weightloss that affected my hair and if it will grow back and how long. like i said my short hair is not receding just thinned out from my hairline. there are alot of baby hairs visible as of today february 24 .
Screenshot_20170129-090023.png

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairloss due to stress and weightless is not permanent.

However, in your case you may have just lost hairs that were already weak due to androgenic alopecia.

You're a good looking guy, get on treatments and hold on to your hair.

Finasteride, low dose, if you get sides switch to RU
Nizoral 1%, two or three times a week
Start minoxidil 5% foam once a day a couple months later.

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is me today currently february 24 with short hair. the first pic is with my hair down. The third one is when I lift my hair above my hairline. My hairline is still there so I think that is a good sign that it was just in the phase where it doesnt grow. But i havent had much hairs in that area or in general all over my head since like last April of 2016. that thinning is also on the other corner of my forehead. How much more longer until i can expect more hair! its been since like around june of 2016 that my hair began thinning. My dad also began losing his hair around his early 20's so im scared ima end up like him when Im only 20 years old. He always teases me too that my hair days are soon going to be over, lol. when my hair was longer it was much more noticable and that was when my parents would tease me, like do you want me to be bald at 20!
20170224_101230.jpg
20170224_100101.jpg
20170224_100125.jpg

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im 20 yrs old. Supposedly i am to look at my moms dad and that will be if i last with my hair or not. At 58 years old he still had hair and im talking plenty on top too. My dad has the regular pattern male hair for his age, where the top is bald and its only the sides. I do have an older brother 4 years older than me and his hair is still full.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well sorry to say that but thats early onset of Androgenetic Alopecia, you see that your temples start to thin. You can also inherit your dads baldness. And your brother is the lucky one who didn't. That sh*t is unpredictable.

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for encouraging my hair loss, lol, i thought this was a site where u guys can help me. I dont know it really is hard to tell but last semester i didnt even have a hairline or had much growing therd. But i took another picture today and u can see it returning, slowly but surely. Im just hoping it eventually fills up even more. You can kinda of see with the baby hairs growing. Take my word for it i did not have that much hairs there just a few months ago or maybe even weeks ago. Is it a good sign that I am now starting to grow hair there? Btw im not looking to use hair enhancers to grow my hair. Idk why but i believe those things have side effects in the long run. I want to grow my hair naturally by having a healthy lifestyle. Herez the Pic.
20170227_112623.jpg

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
you can also see my hairline back in like october or november whe i had like 2 inches of hair. the first pic i took above, but my hairline wasnt even that full as this recent one that i took today, february, 27, 2017.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what you expected coming here. And who do you want to convince? Me or yourself? Imho it does look like the beginning of Androgenetic Alopecia. Thinning temples and front.

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
pacey123, i dont know if you read but before i did not even have hairs there a few months ago. I began losing hair because i overstressed a year ago around february and my hair was at its worst from july to november(thinning hair). i also had a strict kind diet where i did not eat as much calories as i needed to for which i lost 15 pounds during the time when was the most stressful time in my life and hopefully last. If you mix those two together, in my research, can cause temporary hair loss. So yea, i guess i am convincing myself that my hair is going to grow back and be okay!

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's fine dude, right now you have a nw1 hairline, might just be the very short cut and the direction your hair grows, just make sure to take pictures every 3 months and reassess ;)

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ha, the NW1 hairline looked more when i had my hair back in august, from that I can tell u my hair was more like that. But i have noticed growth. I will keep you guys updated and show how it is possible to come back from temporary hairloss like many others do. pics maybe once a month. Im hoping by June its more full than today.

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair has gotten worse. but it is alopecia areata. I have small coin sized bald spots on my head. I also had pitting nails back when I posted that in February. I have been taking it easy in college, just 2 classes this semester to not stress, I don't think I have stressed at all due to the fact that my pitted nails are going away, when before you can literally feel a pool on my nail bed of my big toe's and my thumbs. 1/3 of my big toe nail and thumb nails are left of pitting, and the pitting has gotten less deep so once that last 1/3 of my nail grows out my nails are going to be back to normal bc the other 2/3 is good before it was nonstop pitting in the last 8 months. I literally didn't know about my nails until a few days later that I had posted this in February, so who knows how long they were pitted. Hopefully my hair starts growing back bc the symptoms on the internet say hair grows back along with the relief of pitted nails. I find it funny that not many of my family members know that my hair is bad, my parents and my siblings know but they don't know when my hair is wet (a lot of small bald round spots). My hair is very thick so it covers pretty good before it starts curling. Before I liked my hair short a clean 3 on top to keep my bald spots even with my hair. now I cannot cut it that short bc the bald spots are too visible now I keep it at a 7, max. Last time I cut it a 3 was back in July, and it was still okay.. I cut it again a month later with a 3 and I was shook, I noticed more hair loss. So ever since I don't go lower than 7, i dont even want to imagine how it would look like if I was to cut it rn at a 3. it is not only my scalp, it is my chest area, stomach, beard and below my waist that have round bald spots. My beard had been affected though since last year of september when i noticed spots. my sideburns had a few spots but grew back in but as for my scalp, nothing. I see a few gray hairs on my beard where theres bald spots so idk, i really dont have much hope bc of the longetivity. Rn it is really hard to envision myself a year from now with more thicker hair. I just felt like posting bc there's times I look in the mirror recently and have emotional breakdowns and just start balling... like why me.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair has gotten worse. but it is alopecia areata. I have small coin sized bald spots on my head. I also had pitting nails back when I posted that in February. I have been taking it easy in college, just 2 classes this semester to not stress, I don't think I have stressed at all due to the fact that my pitted nails are going away, when before you can literally feel a pool on my nail bed of my big toe's and my thumbs. 1/3 of my big toe nail and thumb nails are left of pitting, and the pitting has gotten less deep so once that last 1/3 of my nail grows out my nails are going to be back to normal bc the other 2/3 is good before it was nonstop pitting in the last 8 months. I literally didn't know about my nails until a few days later that I had posted this in February, so who knows how long they were pitted. Hopefully my hair starts growing back bc the symptoms on the internet say hair grows back along with the relief of pitted nails. I find it funny that not many of my family members know that my hair is bad, my parents and my siblings know but they don't know when my hair is wet (a lot of small bald round spots). My hair is very thick so it covers pretty good before it starts curling. Before I liked my hair short a clean 3 on top to keep my bald spots even with my hair. now I cannot cut it that short bc the bald spots are too visible now I keep it at a 7, max. Last time I cut it a 3 was back in July, and it was still okay.. I cut it again a month later with a 3 and I was shook, I noticed more hair loss. So ever since I don't go lower than 7, i dont even want to imagine how it would look like if I was to cut it rn at a 3. it is not only my scalp, it is my chest area, stomach, beard and below my waist that have round bald spots. My beard had been affected though since last year of september when i noticed spots. my sideburns had a few spots but grew back in but as for my scalp, nothing. I see a few gray hairs on my beard where theres bald spots so idk, i really dont have much hope bc of the longetivity. Rn it is really hard to envision myself a year from now with more thicker hair. I just felt like posting bc there's times I look in the mirror recently and have emotional breakdowns and just start balling... like why me.

Is nail pitting related to alopecia areata? I can't find much info online. What behind it All?

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say so. If you type Alopecia Areata into Google, the first thing that pops up is a animated lady with gray hair. Google defines it as round patchy loss of hair and one of the symptoms are pitted nails.

But like I said I don't think I have been stressed since finals of spring so im hoping the end of my pitted nails is also a sign that my hair will also soon start growing. Sources also say hair grows back 6 to 8 months after the shock. So is that from May in which I was stressed and takes 8 months to have growth? Or is it when you do stress there is a 4 to 6 month delay before you notice hairloss and then another 8 months before you see growth?

The part I really don't get is how doctors or experts still see stress as a questionable cause for alopecia areata. I know some get it randomly but I feel that most cases come from stress and some sources say its a possible cause!? Like what??And let me tell you once I started to lose my hair around that same time and few months before that, was definitely the toughest thing I had ever done in my life which was my first year of college. Didnt notice hairloss until towards the end of my spring semester or second semester. I think 1st semester wasn't that bad but in my second semester I just had too many classes that asked way too much out of a student, im talking about 4 unit classes. If I was to take a picture rn of my hair you would maybe see a little thinning on my hairline and wouldn't think im experiencing hair loss, nope. tbh, I think I have about around less than 35% of my hair on top of my head. but my hair is so thick that it covers up pretty well and I don't think people notice it. I find it messed up how other people don't develop alopecia areata if they'e stressed, it's literally unfair, lol. I guess ima have to go stress free the rest of my life, haha.

Javier Ramirez

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped the ginger method bc after a month nothing happened, i just don't
have the patience, lol.
As you can see my hair covers well when its at a length of a 7 guard. Once I wet it you can clearly see the round patches. It started to affect my hairline at first. mind you my hairline is not gone just thinned out because of the round patches it started off in back in summer of 2016. I am able to see a bunch of small stubbles on the part of my hairline that is a literal oval within a inch of my right temple. So my follicles are definitely still alive. My right temple has gotten more damage though. You can't really notice but it also spread to my swirl on top of my head I have noticed it got a little thinner. I get very small patches on the back of my head that show up on the same spot but they always cover up pretty quick, recently no patches on the back of my head. Recently I have been getting patches on my sideburns or next to my ear but they always fill up too.

What has been scaring me tho is Maybe about a few weeks ago I noticed 2 symmetrical patches on my 2 thighs. few days later I noticed a patch on my calf. a nd now that I look at it I have very small patches on my legs, just a few on each leg. I do also have it on my chest and pubic area, but those areas had been affected well over 7 months ago. So I guess I now have Alopecia Universalis.

My only certain hope to recovery is my hairline, it' still there even though some of it is gone by the round patches.
I would also get those sensations on your scalp when you would feel like there are ants on you head. I literally got those sensations all summer long back in summer 2017, it was scary at first because it was so uncomfortable. They started to go away towards the end of September. And of course my pitted nails.They are concluding there pitted feature. Another month and I'll be able to cut the red beau lines and as for my thumb and toe nails there pitted appearance off. Last time I stressed that I felt like it would affect my hair or my alopecia areata even more is back in spring of 2017. If I would say so I think I am nearing the end of AA, or atleast I hope so. I have seen other stories that people go a year with AA and lose all their hair. I am almost nearing 2 years maybe in April. I get a few itches on my head time to time but once my pitted nails go away I am going to start looking for growth, bc pitted nails is a sign of your immune system not be healthy so I think when they're gone my hair should begin growing back like some sources say.

Attachments

• 20180125_135933.jpg
    20180125_135933.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 20180125_135949.jpg
    20180125_135949.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 275
  • 20180125_140046.jpg
    20180125_140046.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 20180125_140114.jpg
    20180125_140114.jpg