hair loss and lifting

DP

Reaction score
Can working out accelerate hair loss? Myth or are there actual studies that say so?

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no studies, but it does seem like it sometimes.
My personal experience was that it got worse. So I did some general testing as to when I shedd the most. At first I thought my training made it worse.

Well, this spring I didnt work out hard for like one month... Followed by the worst shedd I´ve ever had.
So, my personal experience actually says: no, it doesnt.

Some people believe there´s often a connection between ordinary T and hairloss. If their is, that could be the factor.

Sean68

Reaction score
i lift weights in a leisurely sort of way but i do it quite regularly and i havent noticed any difference - it still looks sh*t. i think its when you get into protein supplements that you might encounter problems.

heretohelp

Reaction score
nothin has been proven to suggest that weight lifting effects hair loss it never did for me ,dont worry its just a myth ,if your hairloss is gettin worse tou need to do something about it to help stop it then u should notice that lifting weights has no relation to hair loss

lookhowshiny

Reaction score
Well, if we don't know, then I guess we DON'T know, right?

I've started to lose hair that same month I got into gym and protein supplements. I'm not the only one so how bout a pattern?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I honestly dont believe it does. I have experimented alot of the years with this, but ultimately working out will make you younger not older. And your hair will reap the benefits also.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how on earth can taking protein shakes speed up hairloss?

Also, does this mean running/jogging is good for hair?

s.a.f

Reaction score
This topic :roll: :shakehead:

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
You might want to get into doing some cardiovascular exercise as well, I think that can help with hair loss.

In all honesty I think protein shakes would probably benefit your hair if anything.

Now if you start getting into hormonal steroid substances, that's a whole different story.

Libido

Established Member
Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
Also, does this mean running/jogging is good for hair?
Definatly possible. I was personally thinking along these lines. But you should do that anyway. Myself, I´ve been doing too much lifting and too little running.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
My conclusion after years of jogging and weight trainning is my hair always looked its best when I was at the peak of my fitness.

G

Sean68 said:
i lift weights in a leisurely sort of way but i do it quite regularly and i havent noticed any difference - it still looks s***. i think its when you get into protein supplements that you might encounter problems.
Protein supplements dont cause hairloss.The opposite is probably true.

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it very much depends on the person and their particular biochemistry. For SURE, lifting weights and/or protein supplements can cause accelerated hair loss. Well I think so anyway. Why? Because I went through a stage of working out very heavy 4 times/week and taking a ton of protein on board. I gained a lot of muscle, but boy did the hair fall out at an alarming rate. So I backed right off the intensity and switched over to mainly cardio and behold the hair recovered (largely anyway). I've since tried this again, upping intensity (and protein) and low and behold the hair started to thin at an accelerated rate. :dunno:

So, I keep the weights to 3 times a week, 30-40 minutes and limit the intensity. I also only take in natural protein, that is no powdered drinks. That seems to have put a stop to the problem.

Oh, I should add: While it may make sense that processed protein drinks should help hair, I don't believe this is necessarily the case. Stick to non processed protein to play it safe imho. I read one post on a bodybuilding forum where one guy swore black and blue that whenever he started on the protein shakes his hair suffered. He was posting to find out wtf was going on. Not many people believed him of course....

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ive noticed since ive stopped training and gained fat my overall hair is thicker but my hairline is like like 10 times worse!

Id rather go back to working out and having thinner over all hair but an intact hairline

zxAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, this is hardly a revelation, but I'll say it anyway incase someone hasn't heard. Being fat has been linked to being bald. For any given individual. So stay trim and up your chances (in all respects!). Moderate weight training and some good cardio would be the best bet imho.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
zxAddict said:
Well, this is hardly a revelation, but I'll say it anyway incase someone hasn't heard. Being fat has been linked to being bald. For any given individual. So stay trim and up your chances (in all respects!). Moderate weight training and some good cardio would be the best bet imho.

There is no doubt that genetics are a factor in hair loss, but in all honesty I believe that it is possible to fight it if you are roughly under the age of 30 (different for different people). The way to do this I believe is to take a whole body approach in improving your health. This is what the Chinese believe in, they believe not on concentrating on a single area of the body but to treat the body as a whole, and optimize energy flow. I think this is a great philosophy. I believe that diet, lifestyle, and well-being has much to do with this, although sometimes it can be hard for people to accept that they might not be in the best shape, and even harder to get out of bad habits because it can take a lot of effort and time, it's like digging yourself out of a hole.

I live in the heart of a very large american city, and I go to college as well. I see all walks of life on a daily basis, from the homeless to the ritzy model types, all over the place from the streets to the subway to the bars and clubs. I have generally noticed that many guys who have good bodies, as well as good complexion and skin, almost never have hair loss. Many of these characters also seem like the type of people who would think that this type of forum is for losers, but even still I have heard very sparse reports of people growing their hair back by improving health. When I say good body, I don't really mean big muscles, I mean well-toned body with muscles that are maybe a bit bigger than average and definitely with at least six-pack abs (maybe 8-pack but thats kinda stretching it). The general consensus is that there is no such thing as a perfect body, but this is about as close as it gets to it. I think this type of body is a reflection of good diet, good cardio exercise, limited or no smoking, strength training (not so much as bodybuilding) which requires more repetitions of lighter weights, and of course a stress-free lifestyle. But of course, if you're in good health you are likely going to be both looking and feeling great.

To drive in the point even further, male pattern baldness was unheard of in japan until the western habit of consuming animal fats was introduced, this has led to japanese people achieving taller height but more frequent occurence of losing hair. While its a nice thing to be tall if you are male, losing your hair just sucks. I'm a moderately tall kinda guy at 6 feet, and make no mistake about it I do enjoy being as tall as I am, but losing hair just kinda sucks, and I plan to have myself be in the best shape possible.

It seriously seems like a stupid cliche conspiracy theory that the medical industry is not making these sort of statements official, and instead is approving a synthetic drug that mildly castrates you. It also seems like a stupid cliche that the health care industry is more interested in making you dependant on a drug for life instead of permanently curing your disorder, when in theory it just might be possible, just for the sake of making more money over an extended period of time. So many systems in this country are so fucked up it makes me sick!!

Take a look at my other post to see what I'm trying to do to fully better myself:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46151

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Matt Skiba said:
zxAddict said:

There is no doubt that genetics are a factor in hair loss, but in all honesty I believe that it is possible to fight it if you are roughly under the age of 30 (different for different people). The way to do this I believe is to take a whole body approach in improving your health. This is what the Chinese believe in, they believe not on concentrating on a single area of the body but to treat the body as a whole, and optimize energy flow. I think this is a great philosophy. I believe that diet, lifestyle, and well-being has much to do with this, although sometimes it can be hard for people to accept that they might not be in the best shape, and even harder to get out of bad habits because it can take a lot of effort and time, it's like digging yourself out of a hole.

I live in the heart of a very large american city, and I go to college as well. I see all walks of life on a daily basis, from the homeless to the ritzy model types, all over the place from the streets to the subway to the bars and clubs. I have generally noticed that many guys who have good bodies, as well as good complexion and skin, almost never have hair loss. Many of these characters also seem like the type of people who would think that this type of forum is for losers, but even still I have heard very sparse reports of people growing their hair back by improving health. When I say good body, I don't really mean big muscles, I mean well-toned body with muscles that are maybe a bit bigger than average and definitely with at least six-pack abs (maybe 8-pack but thats kinda stretching it). The general consensus is that there is no such thing as a perfect body, but this is about as close as it gets to it. I think this type of body is a reflection of good diet, good cardio exercise, limited or no smoking, strength training (not so much as bodybuilding) which requires more repetitions of lighter weights, and of course a stress-free lifestyle. But of course, if you're in good health you are likely going to be both looking and feeling great.

To drive in the point even further, male pattern baldness was unheard of in japan until the western habit of consuming animal fats was introduced, this has led to japanese people achieving taller height but more frequent occurence of losing hair. While its a nice thing to be tall if you are male, losing your hair just sucks. I'm a moderately tall kinda guy at 6 feet, and make no mistake about it I do enjoy being as tall as I am, but losing hair just kinda sucks, and I plan to have myself be in the best shape possible.

It seriously seems like a stupid cliche conspiracy theory that the medical industry is not making these sort of statements official, and instead is approving a synthetic drug that mildly castrates you. It also seems like a stupid cliche that the health care industry is more interested in making you dependant on a drug for life instead of permanently curing your disorder, when in theory it just might be possible, just for the sake of making more money over an extended period of time. So many systems in this country are so f***** up it makes me sick!!

Take a look at my other post to see what I'm trying to do to fully better myself:

:agree: :bravo:

its all about the money these days.... sales sales sales.... revenue revenure and more revenue....

these health care industries dont give a f**K and just want to hook you on to drugs for life...

:firing: :firing: :firing: :firing: :firing:

G

mj9 said:
Matt Skiba said:
zxAddict said:

It seriously seems like a stupid cliche conspiracy theory that the medical industry is not making these sort of statements official, and instead is approving a synthetic drug that mildly castrates you. It also seems like a stupid cliche that the health care industry is more interested in making you dependant on a drug for life instead of permanently curing your disorder, when in theory it just might be possible, just for the sake of making more money over an extended period of time. So many systems in this country are so f***** up it makes me sick!!

:agree: :bravo:

its all about the money these days.... sales sales sales.... revenue revenure and more revenue....

these health care industries dont give a f**K and just want to hook you on to drugs for life...

:firing: :firing: :firing: :firing: :firing:
ofcourse they do.

G

Seriously, i don't get this post at all.......why in the world would you lose hair if you lift alot of weights and take protein shakes???? it really does not make any type of sense to me at all.....

maybe if you were taking steroids while doing it then yes....you probably would lose your hair....

but just bulking up, i really don't see any correlation at all......can anyone help me see the light pls?