Hair Loss - advice?

vagirl

Reaction score
Well, if you guys think you have it bad - try being a woman and living with this mess. It's beyond depression! :cry:

I'm at a point where I just need some advice. I've scheduled a determatologist appoinment next week but am trying to prepare myself with as much research as possible. You're input would be greatly appreciated.

I went to an endocrinologist earlier this year and he took several tests. Unfortanately, I never saw the results - big mistake. I discovered through reviewing my records that I had very low Estradiol/E2 and almost non-existent progesterone. My endicronologist never explained this too me. At that time I did "not" notice any hair issues. Recently - within the past 3 months I've been having some excessive shedding - white bulb at the end of the strand. My hair texture is changing too - thin, fine, wispy in the effected areas. Here are my blood tests results from earlier this year.

Estradiol level was 35 ng/ml
17-OH Prgesterone = 1.0 ng/ml
DHEA-Sulfate = 890 ng/ml (reference range: 820-3400)
Total Testerone = 37.4 (reference range: 25.0-100.00)

Does very low progesterone and low Estradiol/E2 effect hair loss in women. (Is there a doctor in the house?!) Is this a hormonal imbalance? If so, what next? Again, I know posting on this forum is a long shot but I thought I'd give it a try.

PS My hair shed/thinning is on the left side, crown and frontal area. From the researh I've done, I think I have Telogen Effluvium but unsure about Androgenetic Alopecia. Age: 32, no kids, healthy diet but am not taking any vitamin supplements.

G

Not sure why you added the comments that "you have it worse than us guys.?"

How does this relate to your question?

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a link which has a recommended diet to help fight baldness:

http://members.aol.com/EM02HA/diet_hair_loss.htm

It is supposed to help reduce testosterone in your body hopefully resulting in (less body hair, and more hair on the head). It involves cutting things like bread, pasta, potatoes, and other foods high in starch out of your diet. I don't know what is considered high testosterone (to say whether or not you have it), but maybe that could help.

As far as supplements go you could buy one of those "Hair, Skin, Nails for Women" type of multi vitamins. They have a good amount of recommended vitamins for hair.

Also, i quickly looked up somethin on FPB, and i noticed that one of the treatments is Progesterone. So maybe if you have a very low amount of that it would help if you took that.

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
BTW-how exactly would we try being a woman?

:laugh:

Strap your junk to your thigh stuff your bra (assuming you already wear one) otherwise get a bra and stuff it, and see if people look at your hair alot.

G

garthbrooks said:
BruceLee said:
BTW-how exactly would we try being a woman?

:laugh:

Strap your junk to your thigh stuff your bra (assuming you already wear one) otherwise get a bra and stuff it, and see if people look at your hair alot.

Good one. Thanks for the belly laugh!

:rockon:

nikeaddict

Established Member
Reaction score
come on guys, dont be dicks. id say that your dermatoligist will have the best knowledge and way for you to fight this problem. the women in my family use rogaine, i know thats popular with women. good luck

G

nikeaddict said:
come on guys, dont be dicks. id say that your dermatoligist will have the best knowledge and way for you to fight this problem. the women in my family use rogaine, i know thats popular with women. good luck

Well we have dicks so we thought we would BE dicks! :laugh: