Hair growth promotion effects of ultra-high molecular weight poly-γ-glutamic acid

portaljar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Abstract​

We investigated the effect of ultra-high molecular weight poly-γ-glutamic acid (UHMW γ-PGA) on hair loss in vitro and in vivo. 5-Alpha reductase is an enzyme that metabolizes the male hormone testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. By performing an in vitro experiment to analyze the inhibitory effects of UHMW γ-PGA on 5-alpha reductase activity, we determined that UHMW γ-PGA did in fact inhibit 5-alpha reductase activity, indicating the use of UHMW γ-PGA as a potential 5-alpha reductase inhibitor in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia. To evaluate the promotion of hair growth in vivo, we topically applied UHMW γ-PGA and minoxidil on the shaved dorsal skin of telogenic C57BL/6 mice for 4 weeks. At 4 weeks, the groups treated with UHMW γ-PGA showed hair growth on more than 50% of the shaved skin, whereas the control group showed less hair growth. To investigate the progression of hair follicles in the hair cycle, hematoxylin and eosin staining was performed. Histological observations revealed that the appearance of hair follicles was earlier in the UHMW γ-PGA-treated group than in the control group. The number of hair follicles on the relative area of shaved skin in the UHMW γ-PGA-treated group was higher than that observed on the shaved skin in the control group. These results indicate that UHMW γ-PGA can promote hair growth by effectively inducing the anagen phase in telogenic C57BL/6 mice.

portaljar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Additionally, topical GA 10% (it's easier to get)

Topical Glutamic acid accelerates hair growth in healthy mice​

To identify if our in vitro results could also be found in in vivo keratinocytes, we applied 4 different concentrations of GA on the back of Swiss mice (Fig. 1e, 2a). Surprisingly, 1% and 10% of GA speeded up hair growth after 14 days of topical treatment (Fig. 2a). Also, photomicrograph showed that GA increased external root sheath across all GA concentration (Fig. 2b, supplementary 1b) with no hyperkeratosis effect. Consistently, we also identified increased BrdU positive cells in the hair follicles and epidermal layer after 14-days GA topical treatment (Fig. 3a, d).
GA stimulates hair growth. Dose-response of topical GA application on the back of mice with Vaseline (CTL) and 0.1%, 0.5%, 1% and 10% GA for 14 days (a-c). Hair growth effect (a), H&E staining (outer root pointed with yellow arrows), and upside-down back skin samples showing vessel differences (c). Quantification of blood vessels area after 14 days of GA skin treatment (d). Gene expression of Hif1a, Vegf and Cd31 from back skin after 14 days of GA treated (e).
" data-icon-position="" data-hide-link-title="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding: 8px; border: 1px solid rgb(255, 255, 255); outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: normal; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 0.857rem; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; text-decoration: none; color: gray; display: block; box-shadow: none; background: rgb(255, 255, 255);">F2.medium.gif

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why is this 5ar inhibitor better to use than any other one?

better side effect profile?

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, I'm starting to think all these mouse studies comes down to researchers shaving the mouses, applying some snake oil and then voi-la look some hair is growing!
had the same thought lol

would be a lot easier than inducing balding

portaljar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand that there are hundreds of things that have not worked but it is the reason for this foro, prejudices are your future baldness because people who try new things will stop posting for people like you. So I can't find poly-γ-glutamic acid but glutamic acid can and it is quite cheap (also less effective), in a next purchase I will take 100gr and try the mixture at 10%.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see the merit of this. If you can't tolerate oral Finasteride then you can rather use topical Dutasteride, and if you can use that, I don't see the point in using anything else.

It's not like there is some magic 5-AR inhibitor that you can apply gobs of to your head which won't go systemic and cause any side effects but actually work for hair. That's a fantasy.

Spanishboy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see the merit of this. If you can't tolerate oral Finasteride then you can rather use topical Dutasteride, and if you can use that, I don't see the point in using anything else.

It's not like there is some magic 5-AR inhibitor that you can apply gobs of to your head which won't go systemic and cause any side effects but actually work for hair. That's a fantasy.
Has It been proved that topical dutas is safer? Never saw that confirmed.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has It been proved that topical dutas is safer? Never saw that confirmed.

There are people on here pimping it as if it is. Haven't tried it personally because for me everything goes systemic, but maybe for someone, it might be...

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Polyglutamic Acid on my face for about a year now. It's too bad the study didn't mention the strength of the compound they used.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand that there are hundreds of things that have not worked but it is the reason for this foro, prejudices are your future baldness because people who try new things will stop posting for people like you. So I can't find poly-γ-glutamic acid but glutamic acid can and it is quite cheap (also less effective), in a next purchase I will take 100gr and try the mixture at 10%.
ok fair enough

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glutamic acid is a safe compound, why not use it directly on human scalp? Let me guess, its because it doesn't grow hair on humans