Hair Growth-promoting Activities Of Chitosan And Surface-deacetylated Chitin Nanofibers.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair growth-promoting activities of chitosan and surface-deacetylated chitin nanofibers.

In this study, the effects of chitosan and surface-deacetylated chitin nanofibrils (SDACNFs) on hair growth were evaluated. In human follicle dermal papilla cells in vitro, chitosan and SDACNFs were shown to increase cell proliferation on day 3 after the initiation of treatment, together with an increase in the production of fibroblast growth factor-7 (FGF-7) by these cells on day 3. Furthermore, in an in vivo study in mice, chitosan and SDACNF application promoted hair growth. The number of anagen follicles significantly increased compared with that in the control group, whereas the number of telogen follicles significantly decreased in the chitosan and SDACNF groups. In the chitosan and SDACNFs groups, moreover, the expression levels of FGF-7 and Sonic hedgehog were significantly upregulated in hair follicles. Overall, our results demonstrated that chitosan and SDACNFs promoted hair growth and therefore may have applications as novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of hair loss in patients.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chitosan increased:

↑ Sonic hedgehog - a key regulator of hair growth that declines in the catagen phase. Important for shifting hairs into anagen phase, combined with wounding it has the potential for hair follicle neogenesis.
https://www.hairlosscure2020.com/the-sonic-hedgehog-pathway-an-unrealized-dream/

↑ FGF-7 - is important for the entry of the follicle into anagen phase

↑ VEGF - maintains proper vascularization of the hair follicle and promotes angiogenesis, ensuring proper blood supply and maximum hair diameter during the anagen phase

Chitosan can be bought online in powder form and is soluble at 1% in 1% acetic, adipic, formic, lactic, malic, propionic, or succinic acid.

inmyhead

Reaction score
Interesting. You can buy this stuff at amazon... Just that it is not solutable in water.

I just wonder how much chitosan and how much SDACNFs each affected results. What if SDACNFs did all the job?

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. You can buy this stuff at amazon... Just that it is not solutable in water.

I just wonder how much chitosan and how much SDACNFs each affected results. What if SDACNFs did all the job?

In the study they concluded that, in vitro, chitosan induced cell proliferation and FGF-7 more strongly than SDACNFs. In vivo, SDACNFs promoted hair length better than chitosan, in mice. Hair counts went up with both.

Acetic acid (a component of vinegar) is commonly available at percentages from 10-80%. It can be bought and diluted to 1% which should dissolve the chitosan.

I think the biggest characteristic setting this apart from everything else is the apparent upregulation of sonic hedgehog, which combined with wounding could lead to hair follicle neogenesis, and is overall very positive for hair growth.

inmyhead

Reaction score
In the study they concluded that, in vitro, chitosan induced cell proliferation and FGF-7 more strongly than SDACNFs. In vivo, SDACNFs promoted hair length better than chitosan, in mice. Hair counts went up with both.

Acetic acid (a component of vinegar) is commonly available at percentages from 10-80%. It can be bought and diluted to 1% which should dissolve the chitosan.

I think the biggest characteristic setting this apart from everything else is the apparent upregulation of sonic hedgehog, which combined with wounding could lead to hair follicle neogenesis, and is overall very positive for hair growth.

Is there any way to get full study? I'm willing to order chitosan

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any way to get full study? I'm willing to order chitosan

Haha yeah, but I'm probably not allowed to write that here. I'm sure Google can point you towards a way to access research papers for free.

I am probably going to obtain some Chitosan myself to try soon...Really sounds like it could have potential.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
“To bypass the risk of tumors reported in other experiments that turned on the sonic hedgehog pathway, the NYU Langone team turned on only fibroblasts located just beneath the skin’s surface where hair follicle roots (dermal papillae) first appear.” Can we do that?

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try it and report back, I’m applying too much sh*t at the moment.
This seems interesting though, good find man!

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
“To bypass the risk of tumors reported in other experiments that turned on the sonic hedgehog pathway, the NYU Langone team turned on only fibroblasts located just beneath the skin’s surface where hair follicle roots (dermal papillae) first appear.” Can we do that?

We don't really know the method of how they did that, but it sounds really high tech. Likely not something you can do at home.

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are some lotions with Propolis and Chitosan i found on ebay

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't really know the method of how they did that, but it sounds really high tech. Likely not something you can do at home.

I don't believe he intended that as an actual question - it was rhetorical. It was more like "hey, we can't do this crucial part of what was done in the study to prevent possible cancer risks, so why would we try this?" :p

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe he intended that as an actual question - it was rhetorical. It was more like "hey, we can't do this crucial part of what was done in the study to prevent possible cancer risks, so why would we try this?" :p

Meh, people eat this stuff for weight loss. I'm not worried. The SHH upregulation was detected in mouse skin - it's entirely possible that we lucky human baldies, as usual, don't even get that benefit.

Also there is no mention of that in this chitosan study, he took that from a different study about sonic hedgehog.