Hair dependencies on Rogaine/Minoxidil

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear more about this warlord and also your opinion on my situation. I started minoxidil at 5% about 2 years ago. I had a good head of hair, but was just starting to get thin in the back and receding. Shortly after starting I started getting more comments about my bald spot and all that, and I was only 20! I read up on it more and saw how shed was common prior to regrowth so I stuck with it and saw regrowth. My hair never felt like the young healthy hair it was prior to using tho. I started using full scalp and on hairline to try and bring some back. When I did I got a little regrowth through the middle (thick healthy hair) and then my second regrowth was massive. I thought I needed to apply twice a day everyday to get these results. I never really got any better tho, in fact I got worse. I kept applying this summer and my hair, although not bald, was thinner than ever and seemed to be in a constant shed. My front started to get really thin, but I just related that to my progressive balding. I just got on propecia and am about a month in, and am now using a 5% and 2% mixture to avoid the constant shed and so far it is going alright. My hair seems to be responding and is looking a little healthier, but still like minoxidil hair. Would it be fine to quit and see if it grows back healthier? Should I only apply to my crown and temples now? I'll look it up more on my own, but is dht the only reason for balding? Because if so I think my family has very active 5a reductase enzyme as my dad was balding bad even after finishing undergrad. Thanks

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear more about this warlord and also your opinion on my situation. I started minoxidil at 5% about 2 years ago. I had a good head of hair, but was just starting to get thin in the back and receding. Shortly after starting I started getting more comments about my bald spot and all that, and I was only 20! I read up on it more and saw how shed was common prior to regrowth so I stuck with it and saw regrowth. My hair never felt like the young healthy hair it was prior to using tho. I started using full scalp and on hairline to try and bring some back. When I did I got a little regrowth through the middle (thick healthy hair) and then my second regrowth was massive. I thought I needed to apply twice a day everyday to get these results. I never really got any better tho, in fact I got worse. I kept applying this summer and my hair, although not bald, was thinner than ever and seemed to be in a constant shed. My front started to get really thin, but I just related that to my progressive balding. I just got on propecia and am about a month in, and am now using a 5% and 2% mixture to avoid the constant shed and so far it is going alright. My hair seems to be responding and is looking a little healthier, but still like minoxidil hair. Would it be fine to quit and see if it grows back healthier? Should I only apply to my crown and temples now? I'll look it up more on my own, but is dht the only reason for balding? Because if so I think my family has very active 5a reductase enzyme as my dad was balding bad even after finishing undergrad. Thanks

You should never leave minoxidil! Otherwise you must prepare for a massive shed. Once you start, there is no way back.

And the fact that minoxidil should be applied all over the head doesn't have to be emphasized.

I would say that finasteride can't start working after one month and your impressions are false. But it can start working during the 2nd month already.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Ya but I hear of people getting off minoxidil all the time. I know they say once on it, always on it, but its only been about 2 years for me. Just getting into my 2nd month of finasteride. Can see thin colorless hairs on my hairline coming in. Haven't used minoxidil for the last 5 days and havent seen an increase in shedding. I would like to get off minoxidil on my entire scalp and only apply to hairline if that is possible and effective.

TinTin

Reaction score
I'll rather be bald than deal with the minoxidil BS 2x a day just to delay the inevitable by a couple of years.
If you rather go bald than to take 3mins out of your day to apply it than you should be bald. So, why are you here???

Philly78

Reaction score
If you rather go bald than to take 3mins out of your day to apply it than you should be bald. So, why are you here???

haha yeah good point...why is he even bothering posting on this forum anyways?? :doh:
A lot of people don't seems to get it with minoxidil. Even if it's "only" buying me time i'm buying! If i can gain/maintain what i have for 10+ years than i'll be happy.

Who would rather be bald at 35 instaed of let say 45??

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Warlord who is the guy who believes minoxidil is poison? I would like to talk to him. I'm not saying that minoxidil is bad for everyone, but as with any drug there can be non or negative responders. I think there might be the same with minoxidil. Soon as I started is when I got more questions from people about becoming bald. I learned the shed was normal and saw regrowth, but for everywhere I applied growth never stabilized. I would get a shed, strong regrowth in the area to another shed to growth of weak strawlike minoxidil hair. Happened to my crown, which is still very thin after applying 5% for 2 years, happened to my hairline and my main scalp as well. I do not experience terrible side effects but I do get bad acne with it as well as a lil raccoon eyes. I didn't think I got the puffy face but after using it yesterday of several days off, I looked in the mirror at the gym and my jaw line and cheek bones were not as defined. I never really got thick hair on minoxidil which is what it is supposed to do. I really began questioning it as I wasn't seeing the results I wanted but was scared to get off and lose all my hair. I did look in the success stories section and saw some people get great results with minoxidil. As for me, the more I use it, the thinner my hair gets. Now that I am on finasteride and 2% keto I think I am going to try to get off minoxidil entirely. For my week off I did not experience massive shedding as I thought. If I do start shedding, I may mix minoxidil in every 3-4 days or so. I'll see how it goes, but again if you could give me the users name who thinks minoxidil is poison that would be great.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Its different for everyone using minoxidil/finasteride or Propecia, I had terrible dark circles but then sorta realized its is brought on by the treatments it was only when I went off all treatments for 6 months I noticed my eyes looked a bit better, perhaps after a year perhaps more improved.

There are many things one can do to prevent racoon/dark circle eyes, sleeping on back and exercise are top choices, lots of creams that help improve the overall look and make up is a good choice. I never tried make up or exercise but believe they could clear the bloated/dark face look.

Anyhow After being off all treatments for 6 months I jumped straight back on them, I only stopped all soloutions due to the poor dark circles and considering for 6-7 months my hair line was getting only worser I felt no need to be using any treatments, but after a recent hair cut I can see I may have lost a bit so jumped back on them, within days of using it I noticed lots of random minoxidil hairs :) So I dont know for 100% if its good to stop it but whatever you may have on your hair its best to keep what you can even if you are loosing it gradually over time, so keep it up if you can !

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Warlord who is the guy who believes minoxidil is poison? I would like to talk to him. I'm not saying that minoxidil is bad for everyone, but as with any drug there can be non or negative responders. I think there might be the same with minoxidil. Soon as I started is when I got more questions from people about becoming bald. I learned the shed was normal and saw regrowth, but for everywhere I applied growth never stabilized. I would get a shed, strong regrowth in the area to another shed to growth of weak strawlike minoxidil hair. Happened to my crown, which is still very thin after applying 5% for 2 years, happened to my hairline and my main scalp as well. I do not experience terrible side effects but I do get bad acne with it as well as a lil raccoon eyes. I didn't think I got the puffy face but after using it yesterday of several days off, I looked in the mirror at the gym and my jaw line and cheek bones were not as defined. I never really got thick hair on minoxidil which is what it is supposed to do. I really began questioning it as I wasn't seeing the results I wanted but was scared to get off and lose all my hair. I did look in the success stories section and saw some people get great results with minoxidil. As for me, the more I use it, the thinner my hair gets. Now that I am on finasteride and 2% keto I think I am going to try to get off minoxidil entirely. For my week off I did not experience massive shedding as I thought. If I do start shedding, I may mix minoxidil in every 3-4 days or so. I'll see how it goes, but again if you could give me the users name who thinks minoxidil is poison that would be great.

I wouldn't recommend you to quit minoxidil. The consequences can be scary. Furthermore, I don't understand why people take a medication that doesn't work for many years, without any counteraction? There are high percentage minoxidil versions available, so you should have increased the dosage a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

haha yeah good point...why is he even bothering posting on this forum anyways?? :doh:
A lot of people don't seems to get it with minoxidil. Even if it's "only" buying me time i'm buying! If i can gain/maintain what i have for 10+ years than i'll be happy.

Who would rather be bald at 35 instaed of let say 45??

I think that you highly understimate the power of minoxidil. The difference wouldn't be 10 years, but rather many decades. Furthermore, with the high% minoxidil formulations available (not speaking about anti-androgens), the answer can be "NEVER".

There are no long-term (5+ years) studies on minoxidil, but what we already know is that there are huge differences in response. Some patients taking minoxidil were regrowing hair even after 4-5 years. And that was 3% minoxidil! Others were continually losing hair.

I often see that some "experts" pick up graphs from some minoxidil studies in order to show that minoxidil works only for 2 years or so, because that's the time, when the average hair counts peak. They usually don't use minoxidil on their own and can't fully understand, what these studies actually say. First of all, they can't grasp the difference between the loss of regrown hairs and a fall below baseline.

The counts of regrown hair may decline with time, but if I extrapolated the curve of hair counts e.g. from the study of Olsen et al. 1990 to the future, the average participant in this study would reach the baseline after ca. 15 years. And I repeat that this was 3% minoxidil. On 5% minoxidil, we could expect 20 years or so. The "baseline" in this study would be NW3-NW5, but an intelligent man wouldn't start with the cure in this stage, of course. He would be NW2 at worst.

Naturally, this would be an average result, and considering that hair counts in 30% patients were still growing after 5 years, some of them could probably use this drug with success virtually infinitely. And remember: No study on minoxidil has been enough long to show a fall of average haircounts below baseline! Not even after 5 years! Thus, I wonder, how all those internet Bryans and pr*cks with M.D. titles can forecast that minoxidil will stop working in all patients after several years. They can't prove it. They are pulling this crap out of their asses.

After my 16-years' successful maintenance with minoxidil (2-5%), I think that my result may be quite average. Several years ago I met a man, who had been taking 2% (!) minoxidil successfuly since early 90's. And I know a guy nicknamed Beach Man (from Hairlosshelp.com), who has maintained his hair on 5% minoxidil for 20+ years. But the problem is that successful minoxidil users don't go to internet forums, because they have no reason to go here. What we get on these pages are whining guys in the NW4 stage or unfortunates, in whom the traditional 5% versions simply don't work.

The situation with finasteride is very similar. We know that this drug can keep hair in 86% people for 10 years, and even the early, very large 5-years' studies indicated that only 10% users were below baseline after 5 years. Yet if we were to infer the efficiacy of finasteride from the posts on this forum, it would seem that finasteride works for only 5-7 years or so. Again, these unsuccessful users are not representative. They go here and whine here just because they belong to the small minority of 10-15% men, in whom the stuff doesn't work long-term or doesn't work at all. The 85-90% successful users are happy and don't need to visit internet forums and ask for help. Why would they do it, when the stuff works? As a result, the picture that we get on internet forums is perversely skewed.

Philly78

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend you to quit minoxidil. The consequences can be scary. Furthermore, I don't understand why people take a medication that doesn't work for many years, without any counteraction? There are high percentage minoxidil versions available, so you should have increased the dosage a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that you highly understimate the power of minoxidil. The difference wouldn't be 10 years, but rather many decades. Furthermore, with the high% minoxidil formulations available (not speaking about anti-androgens), the answer can be "NEVER".

There are no long-term (5+ years) studies on minoxidil, but what we already know is that there are huge differences in response. Some patients taking minoxidil were regrowing hair even after 4-5 years. And that was 3% minoxidil! Others were continually losing hair.

I often see that some "experts" pick up graphs from some minoxidil studies in order to show that minoxidil works only for 2 years or so, because that's the time, when the average hair counts peak. They usually don't use minoxidil on their own and can't fully understand, what these studies actually say. First of all, they can't grasp the difference between the loss of regrown hairs and a fall below baseline.

The counts of regrown hair may decline with time, but if I extrapolated the curve of hair counts e.g. from the study of Olsen et al. 1990 to the future, the average participant in this study would reach the baseline after ca. 15 years. And I repeat that this was 3% minoxidil. On 5% minoxidil, we could expect 20 years or so. The "baseline" in this study would be NW3-NW5, but an intelligent man wouldn't start with the cure in this stage, of course. He would be NW2 at worst.

Naturally, this would be an average result, and considering that hair counts in 30% patients were still growing after 5 years, some of them could probably use this drug with success virtually infinitely. And remember: No study on minoxidil has been enough long to show a fall of average haircounts below baseline! Not even after 5 years! Thus, I wonder, how all those internet Bryans and pr*cks with M.D. titles can forecast that minoxidil will stop working in all patients after several years. They can't prove it. They are pulling this crap out of their asses.

After my 16-years' successful maintenance with minoxidil (2-5%), I think that my result may be quite average. Several years ago I met a man, who had been taking 2% (!) minoxidil successfuly since early 90's. And I know a guy nicknamed Beach Man (from Hairlosshelp.com), who has maintained his hair on 5% minoxidil for 20+ years. But the problem is that successful minoxidil users don't go to internet forums, because they have no reason to go here. What we get on these pages are whining guys in the NW4 stage or unfortunates, in whom the traditional 5% versions simply don't work.

The situation with finasteride is very similar. We know that this drug can keep hair in 86% people for 10 years, and even the early, very large 5-years' studies indicated that only 10% users were below baseline after 5 years. Yet if we were to infer the efficiacy of finasteride from the posts on this forum, it would seem that finasteride works for only 5-7 years or so. Again, these unsuccessful users are not representative. They go here and whine here just because they belong to the small minority of 10-15% men, in whom the stuff doesn't work long-term or doesn't work at all. The 85-90% successful users are happy and don't need to visit internet forums and ask for help. Why would they do it, when the stuff works? As a result, the picture that we get on internet forums is perversely skewed.

I'll be happy if i get good results for 10+ years and I'm positive it can happen. So far, i've been on 5% for 6 months and i'm happy with what i see.

Always liked your post, Warlord. Keep up the good work.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be happy if i get good results for 10+ years and I'm positive it can happen. So far, i've been on 5% for 6 months and i'm happy with what i see.

You should know that I despise all the negativism and garbage that is so frequent on internet forums. Usually, the people have the same profile: They did nothing until they were approaching NW4, and now they whine that they can't find a drug that would magically return their hair back. Furthermore, they get swollen eyes and bloated face after minoxidil, impotence after finasteride, itching after Nizoral, letting aside the fact that they are dying when on dutasteride. And since they saw some nice graphs demonstrating that all available treatment is effective only for 2 years, some of them even don't bother to take any medication and they are passionately waiting for some other miraculous cure...! What they don't realize is that even if such a cure appeared on the market, they would immediately get some side effects reported on the leaflet! LOL

Be consistent with your regime, because minoxidil doesn't forgive a lack of discipline. It is easy to lose hairs, but difficult to get them back. And don't lose hope, even if minoxidil was showing some loss of efficiacy. Its effect is dose-dependent, so you can always upgrade your dosage. The best solution is to combine it with finasteride. You can find quite a lot of cases, when people have been comfortably maintaining hair on this combination for 15-20 years.

P.S.: Today, I again found a website of some transplant surgeon, who claims that finasteride works only for 4-5 years, and "hairs that are genetically predisposed will fall out one day, regardless of the treatment". (And I thought that even if you only delayed the process, it would mean that a bit part of your hair can simply never fall out.) Furthermore, I learned that hair loss in men is caused by "dehidrotestosterone". Don't you know, what is it? LOL

I wonder, if these bastards spread this crap intentionally, because they earn money from hair transplantations?

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
there is a even data documenting it based on change in hair weights compared to baseline, on minoxidil, and after cessation. it is a very ugly looking curve, let me tell you! it drops below the 0%.

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
there is a even data documenting it based on change in hair weights compared to baseline, on minoxidil, and after cessation. it is a very ugly looking curve, let me tell you! it drops below the 0%.

Surely it's obvious logic that after quitting minoxidil you will end up with less hair? Rogaine admit that if you stop, you'll lose any hair that you've grown/maintained while using minoxidil in about a year or so.

So if you start Rogaine with 80% hair in 2005, peak at 90% hair in 2008 before quitting. By 2012 of course you will have less hair that you had in 2005, the balding process continues and you would have lost any minoxidil gains you had, as well as further hair from natural male pattern baldness progression.

My personal view is that whilst your healthy hair may be 'shocked' by a sudden lack of minoxidil and may shed (no different to how flu can cause you to shed a bit more hair than usual), it will grow back exactly the same.

Philly78

Reaction score
Surely it's obvious logic that after quitting minoxidil you will end up with less hair? Rogaine admit that if you stop, you'll lose any hair that you've grown/maintained while using minoxidil in about a year or so.

So if you start Rogaine with 80% hair in 2005, peak at 90% hair in 2008 before quitting. By 2012 of course you will have less hair that you had in 2005, the balding process continues and you would have lost any minoxidil gains you had, as well as further hair from natural male pattern baldness progression.

My personal view is that whilst your healthy hair may be 'shocked' by a sudden lack of minoxidil and may shed (no different to how flu can cause you to shed a bit more hair than usual), it will grow back exactly the same.

What i'm wondering is, how much time would it take to lose all the hairs gained/maintained with minoxidil??? After you quit minoxidil, would the balding process continue at the same rate as if you would had never take minoxidil?

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm no scientist but I would certainly say yes.

minoxidil does not affect your hormones or genetics. It can't make hair any less or more prone to the effects of DHT, and therefore I can't see why quitting minoxidil would later speed up or slow down the rate of male pattern baldness, than had you never tried minoxidil to begin with.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score

Well, my battle hasn't been won yet. I despise negativism, but this time, I myself must be negative. I experienced a very fast regrowth during August, two months after the addition of finasteride. However, it stopped after few weeks, as quickly as it started. In September/October, there was nothing to report, and since late October, I have been losing hair along my hairline, including the hair that I regrew. It seems that it is not going to stop soon, and what is worse, even parts of my hairline that have never been touched by male pattern baldness are now raped badly.

I would like to believe that this is a positive sign, but you never know. The finasteride may have caused some adverse reaction in my body. Today, my nerves crumbled and I increased my minoxidil concentration from 6% to 7%. It starts to be a gamble and now I realize that I actually didn't know what I achieved during the past 16 years.

Anyway, I know, where the hair disappeared, and I will check, if it regrows back. If it doesn't (within several weeks), then it means that finasteride does nothing good and I will quit it. I always relied on minoxidil, and it was absolutely reliable. Only if I knew that the EssenGens, DualGens etc. contain exactly the percentage of minoxidil that is labeled on the bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

What i'm wondering is, how much time would it take to lose all the hairs gained/maintained with minoxidil??? After you quit minoxidil, would the balding process continue at the same rate as if you would had never take minoxidil?

Be sure that the loss would be very fast! It would be a shock-loss that could frighten you.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
When I quit, it fell below baseline at month 4 and maintained that till about month 10 when it started growing back to baseline. It's a long process, don't know why they say 6 months. Even the hypertrichosis takes a year to subside.

hofh

Reaction score
When I quit, it fell below baseline at month 4 and maintained that till about month 10 when it started growing back to baseline. It's a long process, don't know why they say 6 months. Even the hypertrichosis takes a year to subside.

I'm glad to hear you back to baseline after quitting minoxidil :)
I have also decided to stop the use of minoxidil foam and liquid. Although the foam was much better than the liquid with no dandruff/itching. The reason I quit is because I've noticed facial side effects as dark circles under eyes, wrinkles, bloating face and bags under eyes after using Kirkland minoxidil foam. And some of these side effects have been reduced by under one week off. I used Minoxidil once a day for about approximately 4 month (not consistent), and also Finasteride for approximately the same time, mayby a little longer (0,25 mg everyday). I have seen some results, but its not better than baseline(before I used minoxidil). I am quite aware of the horrible shedding I will experience in about 3 to 4 months after quitting minoxidil, but IMO it's better beeing bald and have a young face, than having a head full of hair and a crappy face. I have buzzed my hair short all this time I was on minoxidil, and hopefully Toppik will cover some of the shedding I will experience in a few months. Hope more people can give their experience after quitting minoxidil (if there is more?;P) Will I recover to baseline after the post-minoxidil shedding phase? or is my hair doomed forever after started to use (IMHO) this crappy product (minoxidil)? Don't even try convincing me to stay on minoxidil. I will rather shave my head (looks much better than a thin scalp) than continue using minoxidil. Note that this is NOT a attempt to scare anyone from trying minoxidil. It's a great product for those who don't suffer from these side effects I have experienced. I also have ordered a new product called Spectral DNC-N. (N for Nanoxidil). I know I know it's a new product, not fully tested and different users review around the web. But I think it wouldn't harm trying it, shouldn't give the same side effects I had with minoxidil because theres no minoxidil in it. Unless theres someone on this form having a bad experience with nanoxidil? Thanks for any help and input Best wishes to y'all PS sorry for bad english ;P

R2D2

Reaction score
I have also decided to stop the use of minoxidil foam and liquid. Although the foam was much better than the liquid with no dandruff/itching. The reason I quit is because I've noticed facial side effects as dark circles under eyes, wrinkles, bloating face and bags under eyes after using Kirkland minoxidil foam. And some of these side effects have been reduced by under one week off.

I've had some minoxidil side like you mentioned, dark circles, puffy face, etc and I may try getting off it.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you back to baseline after quitting minoxidil :)
I have also decided to stop the use of minoxidil foam and liquid. Although the foam was much better than the liquid with no dandruff/itching. The reason I quit is because I've noticed facial side effects as dark circles under eyes, wrinkles, bloating face and bags under eyes after using Kirkland minoxidil foam. And some of these side effects have been reduced by under one week off. I used Minoxidil once a day for about approximately 4 month (not consistent), and also Finasteride for approximately the same time, mayby a little longer (0,25 mg everyday). I have seen some results, but its not better than baseline(before I used minoxidil). I am quite aware of the horrible shedding I will experience in about 3 to 4 months after quitting minoxidil, but IMO it's better beeing bald and have a young face, than having a head full of hair and a crappy face. I have buzzed my hair short all this time I was on minoxidil, and hopefully Toppik will cover some of the shedding I will experience in a few months. Hope more people can give their experience after quitting minoxidil (if there is more?;P) Will I recover to baseline after the post-minoxidil shedding phase? or is my hair doomed forever after started to use (IMHO) this crappy product (minoxidil)? Don't even try convincing me to stay on minoxidil. I will rather shave my head (looks much better than a thin scalp) than continue using minoxidil. Note that this is NOT a attempt to scare anyone from trying minoxidil. It's a great product for those who don't suffer from these side effects I have experienced. I also have ordered a new product called Spectral DNC-N. (N for Nanoxidil). I know I know it's a new product, not fully tested and different users review around the web. But I think it wouldn't harm trying it, shouldn't give the same side effects I had with minoxidil because theres no minoxidil in it. Unless theres someone on this form having a bad experience with nanoxidil? Thanks for any help and input Best wishes to y'all PS sorry for bad english ;P
Dark circles, wrinkles and pock marked face is why I stopped. Problem is I ignored it for too long because of my hair vanity. It will take a while to recover so don't be discouraged. The dark circles will slowly start to get better and wrinkles will eventually disappear. I recommend using jojoba oil twice a day to help accelerate healing. You can get a pure one on amazon for like 10 bucks. I'd say after a year I'm about 90-95% recovered. I had some redundant skin folds from pseudoacromegaly it caused, these are disappearing but way slower. In particular between my eyebrows I have this deep indentation caused by the skin getting thicker around this indentation. It's gotten way better no doubt as when I was still on minoxidil it looked sooo bad.

Philly78

Reaction score
Dark circles, wrinkles and pock marked face is why I stopped. Problem is I ignored it for too long because of my hair vanity. It will take a while to recover so don't be discouraged. The dark circles will slowly start to get better and wrinkles will eventually disappear. I recommend using jojoba oil twice a day to help accelerate healing. You can get a pure one on amazon for like 10 bucks. I'd say after a year I'm about 90-95% recovered. I had some redundant skin folds from pseudoacromegaly it caused, these are disappearing but way slower. In particular between my eyebrows I have this deep indentation caused by the skin getting thicker around this indentation. It's gotten way better no doubt as when I was still on minoxidil it looked sooo bad.

Should i be fine if i've been on minoxidil for 7 months now and i've got no dark circles or winkles??