Hair Density (do I Need Another Transplant?)

WHLX

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a hair transplant 9 months ago. I was a Norwood 1 but veering into Norwood 2 territory on the left side of my hairline. I wanted to bring the hairline forward and add depth.

After 6 months the results were pretty good. The left side of my hairline was thin but had been brought forward. From month 7, I noticed alot of hair-loss. Around half of these hairs had white bulbs.

At first, I thought this was part of the shedding process and wasn't worried. Months later, my hair is thinner than it's ever been. While my new hairline remains, overall my hair has lost density.

When I brush my hair forward there are big gaps in the fringe. My hair has lost all of its body and is difficult to style. It's beginning to look like this is a transplant gone wrong.

I understand telegon effluvium can occur after stress and changes in weather. Both are possible and roughly fit within the timeline my hair-loss began.

I know a hair cycle is 3+ months. I'm waiting for the tide to turn but I'm not hopeful at all.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

If the density doesn't return is another transplant advisable?

JohnP

My Regimen
Reaction score
From your description it doesn’t sound like a failed hair transplant but more like an early hair transplant. I don’t think your hair loss was stable, seems like your experiencing a normal recession, you should have waited before getting a hair transplant to see how far it was going to progress or taken medication to control the loss behind the hair transplant.

WHLX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts John. The hair-loss I've had has been very slow, Maybe over the course of 4 or 5 years more. Waiting would have meant years with a hairline I wasn't happy with.

After the transplant I had a good spell. Then over 2 or 3 months its rapidly deteriorated (More so than at any point in my life). I'm not sure how likely it is this hair will return or if another transplant will do the trick?

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since you didn’t post any photos, I’m going to assume that maybe the hair that was shedding might be your native hair leaving the transplanted hair to looks less dense.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you taking medication? If yes, which and for how long have you been taking it?

WHLX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, FF. I've been taking Avodart for the last few years and throughout the transplant.

GP, I think that's probably right. It may be that my native hair has fallen out due to the transplant.

I know telegon effluvium is another option as this is sometimes brought on by changes in weather and stress. The hair fell out after I returned from a month-long holiday in the sun to winter at home.

Right now I'm going to wait a few months. If things don't improve I'll look to re-do the transplant and restore the density.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Without pictures it is hard to say, but you could have experienced shock loss. Basically, transplanting around native hairs is always a risky proposition due to this. If you weren't slick bald in your recipient areas then there was a real possibility of this happening, despite being on dutasteride.

WHLX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your take. I think that's what has happened here.

I think I'll be looking for another 2,000 grafts to go on top of my last transplant to recover the lost hair.

April will be 12 months. If my hair doesn't begin to regrow I'll begin to make plans then.