Hair cloning VS Hair Multipilcation

sk8charlie

Reaction score
Don't get confused between Hair Cloning (HC) and Hair Multiplication (HM). HC is using stem cells (found in bone marrow, hair cells, embryonic) and triggering them to re-create hair follicles only. The reason why we can clone a sheep from stem cells is because eventually, that is what the stem cell is programmed to do. It's very complicated to understand without a science background, but basically each and every cell, whether it is a stem cell or not has the book of directions to make a whole new you. The beauty of stem cells is that they are NOT programmed or assigned to use a certain chapter of directions to create a certain body part. Regular cells only use/read a certain chapter of the directions it has; it has the whole book, but only uses and only can use certain chapters. Stem cells can be triggered to use all or some of the chapters. That is why it is easier to clone a whole organism, rather than just a specific body part because it is harder to know the certain signals it takes to trigger a cell to become say, a hair cell. Or in otherwords, it is harder to tell the cell to just read or restrict certain chapters of a book than allow it to read the whole book. On the drawback, the newly cloned individual will have less telomeres, and thus age quicker. As we saw with dolly the sheep, the poor sheep had arthritis and other geriatric ailments even though she was very young. Those are some obstacles that stem cell research has yet to fix.

HM, on the other had, is gathering and culturing cells, and then re-inserting these cells back into the scalp. Cells always divide, until they die usually by degredation, when the products it makes becomes corupt and foreign to the body. (Cancer cells are just that, cells that are corupt, they multiply immensly, do not follow any chemical signals, and they produce byproducts that can be toxic to the body. Normally these cells would be tagged as non-self and destroyed, but they are not dude to genetic factors related to the immune system, etc) The beauty of stem cells is that when they divide, one of them stays a stem cell, and the other matures to become say a hair follicle eventually. Therefore, you will always have a resivorie of stem cells. Only certain organs have stem cells, bone marrow and hair cells being most popular. That is why we age, our non stem cells divide less rapidly as we get older, then we see wrinkles etc etc. The decreased ability of cell regeneration (not speaking of stem cells) is AGING... That's it folks, lack of regeration causes impaired organ functioning.

DHT and other hair loss factors strict the bloodflow, nutrients to the cell and thus all cells die stem cell or not. Once a stem cell is dead, it is dead, it will not be able to regereate itself. This is why people who are bald for long periods of time have extreme difficulty with growing hair back from dormant follicles. Because in actuality, their hair folicles are either extremely miniturized, or absent. The blood is the cells way to get food, without blood or with minimal blood, atrophy of the cell results. This is balding my friends. We know DHT is a culprit, but there may be many many factors....

HM will circumvent this phenomenona by insterting cells taht are resistant to DHT and hair loss factors. These hairs stay on our heads for ever due to genetic factors we are not sure of. All we know is that they will be there, and so the cells we take from them, will produce hair that will stay. HM, will use stem cells from these follicles and create new hair cells that will be injected back into the scalp and hopefully be able to manifest into a hair follicle. It is not cloning. In fact, this is what goes on in your body, HM is basically taking it out of the body, and putting the cells back into the body where appropriate. Oh ya, if you inject a hair cell in your head, it will divide into a stem cell and a hair cell. We dont' know why, it just does, it's because hair cells have that special ability to regenerate itself. And the body only keeps a certain amount of stem cells, it's not like a perpetual cycle.. We have less stem cells than hair cells for sure but if a stem cell dies, then it will be replaced etc.

Honeslty my explanation is quite curtailed, it takes a long time to understand biological processes to even fathom how much we DO NOT KNOW about our bodies especially at the cellular level. Honeslty, and I do not want to sound pessimistic, but the dangers of HM, being uncontrollable cells growing (basically cancer cells), and the risk of it matastisizing (spreading) is quite dire and so I highly doubt that the FDA will let HM or HC slide with ease. Who knows though, maybe hair cells will be good and stay hair cells and follow chemical orders in the body, instead of growing uncondtrollably and spreading to say your brain and causing brain cancer.... hopefully they will but we have to put it in a humans head or heads to know so we gotta start from somewhere... fingers crossed....

sk8charlie

Reaction score
I just want to add another example... The reason why we do not see "Skin growing for skin grafts, similar concept with hair grafts" is because skin does not contain stem cells. This is why we get wrinkles and other age factors. We are fortunate that hair contains stem cells naturally. SO, hopefully when they are injected into our heads, they will stay as hair cells and nothing more. This might be similar to Bone marrow transplants, as i know they use stem cells in this case. Anyone know?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think you bring up a good point about the possibility of developing cancer with HM, and i'm sure its one that they are investigating with all the trials. With this kind of procedure being totally new it almost impossible to know exactly how things are going to turn out. however, in my opinion, HM is basically the same thing as a hair transplant. You are putting in a new follicle where there was a dead one before. The fact that you just took the same follicle, multiplied it, and THEN put it into the scalp shouldn't make that much of a difference. (let's hope). hair follicles have stem cells so they can generate cells all the time (same as your nails, bone marrow, GI) pure and simple, and there is new cells being generated in the hair follicle with and without HM injected follicles. Let's just hope, like you said, that the multiplication process doesn't somehow give the newly injected cells the ability to spread to other areas; if not, i think it'll be smooth sailing.

hardcastle

Reaction score
That's a good post, but I thought Hair Cloning and Hair Multiplication were different names for the same process.

"This basic technique comes in several variations and with a variety of names, but perhaps the most common method of referring to the hair follicle regeneration principle is “hair or follicle cloningâ€￾. Strictly speaking, the technique does not involve cloning in the true scientific sense (as in Dolly the sheep), but multiple hair follicles can be produced from just one donor follicle, so it is a sort of cloning. Others refer to “follicular neogenesisâ€￾ or “multiplicationâ€￾. It is all basically the same thing."

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/ ... le&sid=240

Brandon Mthson

Established Member
Reaction score
Sk8charlie, skin does contain stem cells.

This NIH article states:
"Skin stem cells occur in the basal layer of the epidermis and at the base of hair follicles. The epidermal stem cells give rise to keratinocytes, which migrate to the surface of the skin and form a protective layer. The follicular stem cells can give rise to both the hair follicle and to the epidermis."[http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/basics4.asp]
==========
When you speak of a hair multiplication process that multiplies the follicles without using stem cells, are you referring to work along the lines of Colin Jahoda's, in which cells are extracted from around the roots of follicles and cultured ex vitro to grow into new follicles?[http://www.aderansresearch.com/wiredjan2004.pdf]

It seems like using stem cells to multiply the follicles is just the more recent version of this technique, and 'hair multiplication' and 'hair cloning' are widely used interchangeably for this more recent version.

Brandon