Hair cloning article

Petchsky

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before but i learned a little from reading it so here it is,

Hair Cloning Nears Reality as Baldness Cure

Hair Multiplication Puts New Face on Hair Restoration

By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Thursday, November 04, 2004

Nov. 4, 2004 -- Balding men and women take note. Hair cloning -- the next hair restoration remedy -- is on the way.

OK, it's not exactly cloning, although that's what it's come to be called. Researchers working to perfect the new technique prefer the term "hair multiplication."

And no, it's not ready for prime time. Not yet, says Ken Washenik, MD, PhD. Washenik is medical director for Bosley, the giant hair restoration company that's one of several firms racing to bring hair multiplication to market. He's also clinical assistant professor of dermatology at New York University Medical Center.

"There is no doubt it will be a tremendous breakthrough," Washenik tells WebMD. "It is the thing people have been waiting for. There have been so many remedies for hair loss that didn't pan out. This is one that really looks like it is going to happen -- and happen in the next few years."

It's not just hype, says hair researcher George Cotsarelis, professor of dermatology and director of the hair and scalp clinic, at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Cotsarelis consults for Bosley, but is not involved in the company's research program.

"It is hard to predict whether they will be successful, but there is good evidence that will happen," Cotsarelis tells WebMD. "It is not quackery -- they are not charlatans. It is based on real scientific knowledge. But there are a lot of hurdles still to overcome."

The promise of early research often evaporates in the harsh light of clinical testing. Yet Washenik predicts that hair multiplication will be available for hair restoration in three or four years.

Hair Restoration Today and Tomorrow

The hair follicle is a tiny organ with an odd power: It contains stem cells that can regenerate it.

At the base of the follicle is the hair bulb, where wildly growing matrix cells become hair. A little farther up the follicle is the mysterious feature called the bulge. That's where follicle stem cells live.

When they get the right set of chemical signals, these self-renewing cells divide. They don't divide like normal cells, in which both halves become new cells that keep splitting and developing. Only one half of the follicle stem cell does that. The other half becomes a new stem cell, and stays put for future regeneration.

The Holy Grail of hair restoration would be to figure out exactly how these chemical signals work. A future drug might contain all the signals needed to grow hair in bald areas of the head. But the complexity of the body's chemical language means such a drug is decades from reality, Washenik says.

But it's already possible to seed bald areas of the head by transplanting follicle from areas where there's still plenty of hair. This works pretty well for men, who generally don't lose the hair on the back of the head. For women, however, age-related hair loss often affects the back of the head. That's why hair transplants tend to be much less successful for women.

And there are only so many hair follicles. Even successful hair transplants don't grow as rich a crop of hair as most people would like.

Hair Cloning: What It Is -- and Isn't

The basic idea behind hair cloning is to harvest healthy follicle stem cells. But instead of transplanting them right away, researchers have learned how to make the stem cells or seeds multiply.

It's not cloning, which uses different techniques. New follicle stem cells are grown in laboratory cultures. Then they are attached to tiny skin-cell scaffolds and implanted into bald areas of the scalp.

"The idea is to take these cells from the bulb of the hair, grow them in culture, and come back with an increased number of hair seeds you could inject into the scalp," Washenik says. "You start with a small number of hairs and come back with a larger number of hair seeds, and inject them into one area, and just create brand-new hair follicles."

Moreover, researchers have discovered that some follicle cells do more than regenerate. They give off chemical signals. Nearby follicle cells -- which have shrunk during the aging process -- respond to these signals by regenerating and once again making healthy hair. It works in lab mice. And, Washenik says, it works in human skin cultures, too.

"So this three-to-four-years-away number is not fantasy," Washenik says. "It is biotechnology research, and nature can always step in the way and slow things down. But the concept of tissue-engineered hair growth to create a new hair organ looks very real."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Ken Washenik, MD, PhD, medical director, Bosley; and clinical assistant professor of dermatology, New York University Medical Center. George Cotsarelis, professor of dermatology and director, Hair and Scalp Clinic, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia.[/u]

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yup, i've read that one before. looks promising, but i'm not gonna get my hopes up too much only to be let down, it would be awesome to have it in like five to ten years when my propecia begins to wear off some. (or right now to just thicken things up some :) )

Petchsky

Reaction score
It does look promising. The bit i like is where they inject the cells into the scalp rather than transplanting them one by one.... if this works then as far as i am concerned it is a cure!

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
But, if you're hair loss is caused by DHT, how will injecting new stem cells stop the DHT from killing the new, multiplied hair. I assume you'd have to stay on finasteride for it to work, but does finasteride apparently stop working after a few years.

Another problem with it is that it will costs a sh*t load of money. I read some report online with one of the leading scientists whos working on it in Mexico (Dr. Carl Bazan), and he estimated the cost to be around $22,000-35,00, depending on how many "ounces" you get?

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about this and hope that my hair will last long enough to make it to the day where I can get multiplication.

Oh yeah....I'm not really clear about one thing. By implanting new stem cells, are your old ones supposed to "reguvinate" and start producing hair again?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
marksb11 said:
But, if you're hair loss is caused by DHT, how will injecting new stem cells stop the DHT from killing the new, multiplied hair.
This relates once again to educating yourself on "Hair Loss 101" mark. Some hairs are not subject to DHT affliction. The hairs usually in the sides or back of your head. Those hairs will flourish up front.

HairLossTalk.com

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have sort of an inside scoop on this, as I asked somebody in the field who knows those doing the research. I guess one of the "hurdles" to overcome is that the "cloned" hairs aren't as "strong" as the orinigal. Sorry for the quotes- I can only assume that strong means thick in the context of hair, but the exact word used was "strong".

So hopefully they figure this part out. Don't want a bunch of fuzzy little hairs all over my head. =)

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
marksb, its the same principle as a hair transplant. Hairs on the back and sides are genetically predetermined to be unresponsive to DHT, period. It doesn't matter where you grow them, DHT just isn't an issue with them. So when you put them on the top of your head, they stay permanently and grow normally (just like the ones on the back and sides of your head). With hair multiplication, its the exact same process, only you can make genetic copies of these DHT resistant hair strands and have an unlimited amount of your own donor hair (rather than the very limited donor areas you now have on the back and sides). In essence, hair multiplication is just a hair transplant with an infinite donor site.

Yes, many people do take propecia with hair transplants. Why? because most people that get hair transplants already have at least some hair on top of their head, and they want to keep this! Why? because the less hair they have to take from that precious DHT resistant and very limited donor site, the better!

As for the cost of hair multiplication, yes it will be expensive if it ever does come out. But think of all the money you would save from not needing hairloss products/hats/toppik. :) I would pay it. Never having to worry about hair ever again would be just about the greatest thing in the world for me. I can get a smaller house, and drive a shitty car for a few years.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i read that another major concern is controlling the division process of the stem cells as to prevent cancer....ouch.

The Gardener

Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
i read that another major concern is controlling the division process of the stem cells as to prevent cancer....ouch.

Lovely thoughts here.. we better wait until they get this perfected. I would not want to end up having cancer, and a head full of pubic-like hair that is growing in wrong directions...

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the most amusing hurdle mentioned in an article on another hair loss site by doctor Gho is that, when he creates many hair follicles from just a few, those follicles can have the same growth cycles and the original.

Imagine having a full head of hairs cloned from just one hair, and going completely bald every so often when those hairs all go into the anagen phase simulaneously. =)

I don't know if this is a similar problem with the research related to the article, though. I think Dr. Gho's technique is different.

Petchsky

Reaction score
No doubt there is a few problems like the ones identified in this thread but i guess thats why they estimate it will take 4-5 years. The poster that i copied the article from on another website said that Dr Wesnick is very prudent and rarely gives a timescale.

Personally i don't care how much it costs i'm getting the f****r! accept if it gives you cancer, but really, what the f*** don't give you cancer these days! read an article in the paper a few days ago saying sunblock might give you cancer, i mean really. Also to much vit C, i'll tell you what gives you cancer...Modern life :!:

Rant over, back to normal...phew!

Just imagine though if you could just have new DHT resistant follicles injected into you scalp just like that... sounds to much like a dream. If i have done if its available in the future i think i will grow my hair down to arse and go for the Cousin IT look

:lol:

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they can inject follicles into parts of the scalp where there never was any hair before. My hairline was always too high for my tastes even before male pattern baldness. I'd like to go another inch or so lower than baseline.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Don't see why not if they can inject cells into bald areas of scalp... how they are actually going to shape the hairline though is a mystery to me?

G

elguapo said:
Imagine having a full head of hairs cloned from just one hair, and going completely bald every so often when those hairs all go into the anagen phase simulaneously. =)

If this was so, at some stage, you would also presumably have every hair on your head in the growth stage if this were so, that would be one thick head 'o' hair.

They could resolve this issue by staggering the procedure over several months.

G

Petchsky said:
Don't see why not if they can inject cells into bald areas of scalp... how they are actually going to shape the hairline though is a mystery to me?

maybe they use a ruler

G

When you wear dresses it makes you feel like someone else and it is then easier to forget all the terrible things you did in the name of science/religion.

Go now to the basement, unlock the door, let them go free, they will not harm you as you have taken their souls and are now their master.

Ty

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm going to say (from some of the reading i've done and the minutes i've sat thinking about it) that cloning will be acessable in 6 years.... by then i will be 30 and will have shaved my head for the last year, quit propecia and only use spironolactone 5% and revivogen...nice.