Hair addition to hair line

saag

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker of this great forum. I am currently a Norwood 3 and have been using propecia/minoxidil for the last 5 years. I continued losing hair and now it is very much noticeable. I wanted to know if I can get some (non-surgical) hair-piece just for my hairline. Also, what kind of procedure would be the best (I don't mind a contract!!)? I want something which is more like semi-permanent so that I don't need to bother about it for a month or so.

lace

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker of this great forum. I am currently a Norwood 3 and have been using propecia/minoxidil for the last 5 years. I continued losing hair and now it is very much noticeable. I wanted to know if I can get some (non-surgical) hair-piece just for my hairline. Also, what kind of procedure would be the best (I don't mind a contract!!)? I want something which is more like semi-permanent so that I don't need to bother about it for a month or so.
What you are asking for is what is known as a "front partial." A typical hairpiece has a front, top, back, left and right side. You only want a "front."
If you do searches at the various hair system forums on the internet for the word "partial" you should get a few hits.
A few comments and suggestions.....
1. Partials can be created. I created one for myself about 3 years ago. But not for the same purpose that you have expressed. I like to touch up (ventilate) my hairpieces with
additional hair as needed. Every hair piece looses hair. I try to keep my pieces at a consistent density. However, 3 years ago, I experienced a large tear
in the lace near the hairline. Repairing the tear would have created a noticeable defect at the hairline. I decided to experiment with a "partial." I took a piece of new lace,
drew a crescent shaped wedge on the lace that conformed to the desired hairline, ventilated the lace with hair, performed the usual knot bleaching and knot sealing rituals, and
then attached it to the hairpiece. Trimmed the excess lace. New front hairline completed! The only difference between what I did and what you want to do is that I created and positioned a partial to match a hairpiece. You want to create and position a partial to match your own hair.
2. The are many online resellers of hairpieces. A few that come to mind are Toplace, Hairpiecewarehouse, Northwestlace, Coolpiece, HairDirect. I am not endorsing one over the other.
In fact I have only used one of the above firms and that was over 5 years ago. However, all have lots of users of their pieces. Write to each one and ask for their suggestions.
DO NOT go anywhere that requires a contract!

3. One suggestion to consider.....buy a regular hair piece. Typically a piece will be about 8" long and 6" wide. You could cut many crescent shaped wedges out of a single hairpiece.
One hairpiece could last you for 1 or 2 years. But, you will need to modify your specs. A typical hairpiece is ventilated at a lower density near the hairline in order to create a more natural
result. You need to determine what density would work for you at the hairline. Then order a piece with the same density everywhere.....no tapering at the hairline. Also,
you will need a decent color match. I would suggest a color that is perhaps 10 to 15% lighter than your hair. A slightly lighter shade at the hairline is more natural.
4. Cut a wedge to the appropriate size from the hairpiece and cut the hair to a length that matches your own hair. Cut more wedges later as needed.
5. Your next challenge will be attachment. I do not think tape is an option. You will have to use a glue adhesive. Another learning curve.
6. One month attachments might work. Perhaps you will have to do more frequent attachments.
If any of the firms you contact tell you that what I have suggested is not feasible please ask for an explanation. Let me know what they say. I know that it is possible. Good luck.