Had a double crown my entire life, no shedding, but possible thinning? Pics inside!

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - http://imgur.com/a/R3jKg (link to details and many pictures of my hair). *Warning: my forehead is huge.* The first few pics are styled, whereas all the others were taken after shower just now.

I always had a double crown cowlick and styling my hair has been a pain in the butt. Usually when I get my hair cut outside, the hair stylist would point out that I have a lot of sworls on my head, but the most prevalent are the two at the crown.

I have been cutting my hair pretty short, but now my plan is to grow it out to see what happens.

It feels like my hair has been thinner than 5-6 years ago. My side hair used to be able to grow downwards instead of straight out. I just turned 26. I went to a hair stylist who mentioned it was difficult to cut my hair because there wasn't much hair at the crown (but this was a new hair stylist that I never went to, first time), but he never did say anything about male pattern baldness. My mom also made an observation of my hair. I left a job that was very stressful and am trying to become stress-free these days at my new job.

I haven''t started any treatment yet because I'm not sure if this is mature hairline or balding. I did however just picked up Nizoral shampoo (regenpure) and started washing my hair with it once every 3 days or so. I wash my hair everyday, but I co-wash on the days that I don't' use Nizoral.

However, I looked at pictures of myself of more than a year ago, and I don't see any hair line receding anymore than it did 1-2 years ago. My hairline hasn't changed much for 1-2 years, but I'm not sure whether my crown changed since I never noticed it. I'm also not sure whether I'm starting to experience miniaturization in the front, I do feel/see some shorter troublesome hairs in the f ront.

I tried the pull test, and when I pull at the crown, 2-3 and sometimes a maximum of 5 will come out. I don't notice any hair falling out when I wash my hair either.

Could you guys give me your opinion? Am I being overly worried?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try to control sebum production, jojoba oil as a lotion in the night is a good natural method.

The orientation of hair in the whorl make this visual effect, more with two. It is a problematic area but You have a good hair .

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
Try to control sebum production, jojoba oil as a lotion in the night is a good natural method.

The orientation of hair in the whorl make this visual effect, more with two. It is a problematic area but You have a good hair .

Thank for your input, is jojoba oil the only thing I can use? I have Bio-Oil that I use on my face to help with my acne scarring, could I use that for my hair or should I just stick with jojoba oil?

In addition, do you think this is early signs of male pattern baldness or maybe I'm already receding and losing / thinning hair on the crown?

Any more advice/information/diagnosis really appreciated. My derm appointment is on the 30th of this month, but I would love more advice.

Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

This is looking a lot like mine, I don't really know what to think of it.

Did you get diagnosed by a dermatologist yet? I'm going to see mine on the 30th to get some info on my situation.

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
check out zeroheat's story, he was just like your hairloss but considerably much worse (Norwood 2.5-3), he got on finasteride, min and nizoral, now he's a nw0.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ig-3-962-days-update-pg37)?highlight=zeroheat

Thank you very much. i'm just very worried about the finasteride side effects... I'm starting a family in the next few years and I'm worried it might affect it.

Some have been advising me not to get on min, but only on finasteride and nizoral. What do you think?

Do any oils rubbed into the head help either? I'm also curious whether finasteride will stop hair loss completely or whether it'll just slow down hair loss. What mg would you recommend?

ren01

Reaction score
Careful on what u read here, do ur own research. finasteride stops dht, dht is crucial for the neuro system, people here are unware of it or dismiss it. minoxidil will make your hair thirsty for dht and create extra dht receptors, once u stop minoxidil, all ur hair falls within months, it will drive you insane! If you're starting a family, I suggest you stay away from dht blockers, both for the ED effects and for the impact that it may have on ur sperm quality. People will disagree with me, but I back up my comments with literature knowledge, I don't spit out things just because.

careful, this guy is a troll working for hair transplant surgeons. He has 0 proof of the sh!t that he talks. Had a good laugh reading this post though.

@op be careful in your case about finasteride. For me, finasteride instantly stopped any hair falling out from day 1, zero hairs literally...

finasteride + min + nizoral = best combo

shookwun

Reaction score
Careful on what u read here, do ur own research. finasteride stops dht, dht is crucial for the neuro system, people here are unware of it or dismiss it. minoxidil will make your hair thirsty for dht and create extra dht receptors, once u stop minoxidil, all ur hair falls within months, it will drive you insane! If you're starting a family, I suggest you stay away from dht blockers, both for the ED effects and for the impact that it may have on ur sperm quality. People will disagree with me, but I back up my comments with literature knowledge, I don't spit out things just because.

Dumbest post I read all day.

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
Puto, in that case, can you present some research to back your claims?

I'll do my own research of course, and ask the advice of my derm/physician.

In order for me to move forward though, I need my derm to confirm that I do indeed suffer from male pattern baldness.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank for your input, is jojoba oil the only thing I can use? I have Bio-Oil that I use on my face to help with my acne scarring, could I use that for my hair or should I just stick with jojoba oil?

In addition, do you think this is early signs of male pattern baldness or maybe I'm already receding and losing / thinning hair on the crown?

-

Bio Oil use Parafinum, it is not good product for acne.
https://www.bio-oil.com/es-es/product/ingredients

If you want a good pro¡duct You can add some drops of lavender esential oil and tea tree oil to pure jojoba

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
Bio Oil use Parafinum, it is not good product for acne.
https://www.bio-oil.com/es-es/product/ingredients

If you want a good pro¡duct You can add some drops of lavender esential oil and tea tree oil to pure jojoba

Do you mean mix lavender oil with tea tree oil or pure jojoba oil?

I haven't seen any research about lavender and jojoba oil used for hair loss, do you have any links by any chance?

kckckc

Established Member
Reaction score
I will give you all the info that made me not go for a dht blocker after the weekend is gone but not now. Make sure you get a dht test, thyroid, iron and zinc thats what i did. Your derma should know what to do but ask him if he doesnt offer this.

Thanks so much, I'll ask him for a dht, thyroid, iron and zinc test. Is there anything else that you think I should also ask him? I'm writing a list of all the things I should ask him. Much appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9828867

This study is for alopecia areata but it can be useful in this issue.

By the way, thanks very much for sending the research. I'm definitely going to give it a try, it can't hurt to try (except my wallet)

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jojoba oil plus 2 or 3 EO's will cost less than 30$,..., I bet that the mentioned test are more expensive.

Luck

ren01

Reaction score
Thyroid and Ferritin should be done anyway, they are usually free. DHT might need private sourcing.
Anyway, as promised, this is just a small tiny fraction of the evidence of why you shouldn't block DHT.

The Natural Testosterone Plan: For Sexual Health and Energy
"(...)DHT, it turns out, is crucial for the central nervous system and brain. It is vital in the organization and functioning of neural cells in the brain and has a greater neural impact than testosterone. (...) The use of 5-alpha reductase blockers may, in fact, produce negative impacts on brain function because they are generic in their action, not specific to the prostate. DHT is also made in a number of peripheral target cells to carry out essential functions of the body. By blocking the action of 5-alpha reductase, pharmaceutical blockers prevent the brain and all peripheral tissues from converting T to DHT when they need it(...)"

Neuroactive Steroids in Brain Function, Behavior and Neuropsychiatric Disorders: Novel Strategies for Research and Treatment
"Furthermore, aromatase is expressed by astrocytes in the brain of birds and mammals after brain injury, indicating that the enzyme may be induced de novo (it means again) in these cells under specific circumstances(...)"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21262338
"(...)DHT exacerbates post-stroke immunosuppression in castrated male mice after focal stroke(...)"
Bare in mind Testosterone has only got an effect of 3h whilst DHT has effects for 24h. With all of this, you can conclude that DHT is crucial for your neuro system and immunology, for ie post stroke peripherial immonusupression meaning that with DHT your body is able to keep your immune system from over reaction and shutting down your brain if you do happen to have a stroke (let's hope not). DHT also affects your memory, this means blocking DHT could eventually result in an elevated risk of dementia at a later age, alzheimer, etc.

Mate, fcuk off! We get it, you were one of the unlucky 2% that suffered sides now wants to take anger out on everyone by trolling, you sad knob. Why ain't this troll banned already?

ren01

Reaction score
This guys say minoxidil creates new DHT receptors

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Illu2ion

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, what Puto says about the effects of 5ar inhibition on the brain should not be disregarded that easily. I've read things about it too and this is the only thing I'm a bit affraid of when it comes to using finasteride or dutasteride for a long time.

However, he does act like every user will eventually get dementia or whatnot because of using finasteride, greatly exaggerated so to speak. So people new to hair loss, if you read this: It's just a very minor thing, it'll be well worth it to go on finasteride. This is coming from someone who once was in the same spot as you. Hell, I wasn't even fully grown when I started.

ren01

Reaction score
Actually, what Puto says about the effects of 5ar inhibition on the brain should not be disregarded that easily. I've read things about it too and this is the only thing I'm a bit affraid of when it comes to using finasteride or dutasteride for a long time.

However, he does act like every user will eventually get dementia or whatnot because of using finasteride, greatly exaggerated so to speak. So people new to hair loss, if you read this: It's just a very minor thing, it'll be well worth it to go on finasteride. This is coming from someone who once was in the same spot as you. Hell, I wasn't even fully grown when I started.

Don't get dutasteride and finasteride mixed up idiot. dutasteride inhibits type 1 5ar, which is found in the brain, type 2 which finasteride inhibits is not.

Peace.

Johannes

Banned
Reaction score
Illusion ignore the ignorants. Let me explain you.

Fred is a suicidal case he suffers from depression.
Ren is a chav who dropped school early.

I am not saying anyone will get dementia blocking dht but I alerted for what people like the above refuse to believe which is the link of dht and neuro system. But let them cry. finasteride dont work forever anyway and Ren does not even know what it does and I bet fred is the same case.

For the ignorants like Ren...dutasteride attempts to block all types of dht. finasteride attempts to block 1 type - type2. None of them are effective and you can see this by doing a dht test or seeing the results of people who did it here on the forum.

Also the 2% of side effects is a claim in a private study with the goal of obtaining the patent which is about to expire by the way so there will be loads of copy cats in the market soon.
These guys dont even know who to report side effects they have 0 knowledge of how pharma works. My post is for whoever asked me for literature, if interested I can provide the authors names too.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
Benjamin Franklin

Funny that they want you banned for being a realist.
Quiet strange that they still live in their safe bubble, and believing in the 2% side effect study, but then again probably better for them to stay there, instead of doing non biased research.

To much information would just confuse them, but you are doing a great job already:)
Keep it up!

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
With any luck none of us here will have to be on finasteride longer than five years which is well covered by studies as being a fairly safe time span.

So whether you want to be balding and probably bald when the next line of treatments come, is up to you.

Suckers. I know the current treatments are crap, but just think back to the previous generations who didn't even have that. At least now you have a choice, it's a pretty ****ty one but you can actually DO SOMETHING. Against BALDNESS. Your dad didn't have that option.