H&w 2.5% Topical Finasteride. Dosage To High?

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just had a consultation with Hanson & Wong where I was prescribed topical finasteride. I have never tried oral and have been reluctant due to potential side effects. It is my understanding that the side effects with topical finasteride should be less likely. However, I was prescribed 2.5%. Would that be considered a high dosage? I would prefer to start with a lower if it is possible. I am new here and I understand there are quite a few knowledgeable members on these forums.

Feedback would be appreciated! Thanks

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
did you have to pay for a consult to get the medication? I heard you cant get the topical outside of canada . Studies have shown that topical goes systemic 1/10. That's a very small amount, if you worried then you can due topical every other day at first.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5 or 0.25? 2.5 is 25mg/ml that is absurd

The clinic would have to be very dumb to make that mistake of not knowing the calculation and even dumber to actually prescribe 25 mg of finasteride daily

I got sided from 3mg topically. You need like 0.2 mg per ml max

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
did you have to pay for a consult to get the medication? I heard you cant get the topical outside of canada . Studies have shown that topical goes systemic 1/10. That's a very small amount, if you worried then you can due topical every other day at first.
I did pay ($100) to get some information about hair transplant in general. I was told that I should try Finasteride prior to looking into a hair transplant as I would likely need to take it after to really get the best results. They were suggesting oral at first but I have always refrained due to potential sides. The other option suggested was topical which I was told is less likely to develop sides.

Thanks for your suggestion about every other day. I will contact them and ask if I can get a lower dosage of the topical to start. I don't see that being an issue.

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5 or 0.25? 2.5 is 25mg/ml that is absurd

The clinic would have to be very dumb to make that mistake of not knowing the calculation and even dumber to actually prescribe 25 mg of finasteride daily

I got sided from 3mg topically. You need like 0.2 mg per ml max

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Yes, they did prescribe 2.5% and I attached their pamphlet alongside to confirm. I've read that that is Hasson & Wong standard dosage for topical. I can suggest a lower dosage which I will do so. I am still learning about Finasteride and wont take anything until I am fully informed. I will speak to my doctor as well. I am actually considering trying oral (.5mg) to start and see how I feel with it and take it from there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 429

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know what companding pharmacy your supposed to send the script to? They probably feel safe with a higher does because only 10% goes systemic. Studies have also shown that topical lowers dht levels in the scalp more then oral. I'm surprised people have not gotten better results from topical. Hasson and Wong are definitely industry leaders when it comes to FUT hair transplants. If your gonna spend 20k for 2000 grafts I would take propecia to protect your investment and native hair. I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to try topical or oral. Minoxidill max is the strongest thing I can find, ingredients below

Minoximax
MAIN INGREDIENTS

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5% gave me massive ED. Way too strong, not sure how Hanson & Wong can claim this dose don't give sides when it obvious do.
I'm now down to 0.6% and the sides are manageable so i recommend starting with 0.5% and then gradually increase the dosage if possible/needed. Some people just don't react well on reduced dht levels.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5% gave me massive ED. Way too strong, not sure how Hanson & Wong can claim this dose don't give sides when it obvious do.
I'm now down to 0.6% and the sides are manageable so i recommend starting with 0.5% and then gradually increase the dosage if possible/needed. Some people just don't react well on reduced dht levels.

How was your results with topical? Im a norwood 4 vertex.

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. A little worrisome how they just prescribe out 2.5% knowing I was concerned about sides to begin with. I will ask to have a prescription for .5%. Are you finding the topical solution to be effective with your hair? I may just consider .5mg oral once I consult with my doctor.

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your results with topical? Im a norwood 4 vertex.

Only been using it for about 7 weeks now, but it definitely calmed the itchy scalp and some of the most recent miniaturization appears to be slowly filling in. I'm a Norwood 2 so maintaining have always been the main priority.

Thanks for the feedback. A little worrisome how they just prescribe out 2.5% knowing I was concerned about sides to begin with. I will ask to have a prescription for .5%. Are you finding the topical solution to be effective with your hair? I may just consider .5mg oral once I consult with my doctor.

If you're afraid of sides, avoid oral. I did try 1 mg oral once for a very short period of time and got serious sides, reducing it down to .5 did basically nothing for me. I'm probably very sensitive to 5a reductase inhibitors but topical finasteride (low dose) is not giving me the same serious sides the oral did so that's that.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered Topical finasteride. I will keep you guys posted on my results. If I don't slow down or maintain I got not shot at keeping my hair so i'm going to try topical for 6 months.

MAIN INGREDIENTS

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score

Did you get H&W to rewrite you a prescription or did you simply go to your doctor? I will definitely start with .5% and hopefully work my way up to 1% tops.

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked H&W for a prescription of .5%. The response was below....great. Can my Dr provide me a prescription for .5%?

"In the topical form, .5% is rendered useless. Having the formula altered from its originally designed state will yield poor results. This special formula is designed to absorb into the body at most 5%, compared to taking the pills at 100% absorption."

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked H&W for a prescription of .5%. The response was below....great. Can my Dr provide me a prescription for .5%?

"In the topical form, .5% is rendered useless. Having the formula altered from its originally designed state will yield poor results. This special formula is designed to absorb into the body at most 5%, compared to taking the pills at 100% absorption."

5% absorption rate of 2.5% topical finasteride still leaves you with 1.25mg finasteride in serum, way too powerful for many males, me included.