gyno

cueitup

Reaction score
if u have gyno, propecia will make it worst right?

i started losing hair right about the same time when i started gaining weight, getting gyno, losing sex drive. this was all from no medications or anything. so i must of had excess estrogen if i got gyno and loss my sex drive. is it normal to have excess estrogen and DHT at the same time?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
cueitup said:

i started losing hair right about the same time when i started gaining weight, getting gyno, losing sex drive. this was all from no medications or anything. so i must of had excess estrogen if i got gyno and loss my sex drive. is it normal to have excess estrogen and DHT at the same time?

Many people develop gyno as a propecia side effect. But many don't. There's no guarantee (I think) that propecia will make gyno worse in your particular instance - but I for one wouldn't take the chance.

I'm no doctor - but you should look into estrogen-blockers.

Better yet, - talk to your GP.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Re: GP

cueitup said:
what is GP?

General Practioner, a.k.a. your family doctor.

(sorry to just now anwer this - I lost track of the time :)

drinkrum

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
cueitup said:

Many people develop gyno as a propecia side effect. But many don't. There's no guarantee (I think) that propecia will make gyno worse in your particular instance - but I for one wouldn't take the chance.

Better yet, - talk to your GP.

Not many people develop gyno from finasteride. The incidence level is quite low.

D.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
> Not many people develop gyno from finasteride. The incidence level is quite low.

According to Merk it's approx 2% of all users.

According to forum members on finasteride, what, 50%?

drinkrum

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
> Not many people develop gyno from finasteride. The incidence level is quite low.

According to Merk it's approx 2% of all users.

According to forum members on finasteride, what, 50%?

Judging side effects from forum members is like going to a cancer clinic to judge the true incidence of cancer in the population. It's called self-selection bias. It confounds any extrapolation. People only go on forums to complain and these are the people with side effects.

D.

G

hair_tomorrow said:
cueitup said:

Better yet, - talk to your GP.[/quote

I disagree, only a ve3ry small percentage of finasteride users develop gyno.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Merck indicate that 2% have side effects related to decrease libido not Gyno. Big difference.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Re: re:

Johnny24601 said:
Merck indicate that 2% have side effects related to decrease libido not Gyno. Big difference.

you're right - and shame on me for "assuming" - but because I did experience the initial loss of libido followed by b**ch tit - I made the correlation that if you suffer the one side, you'll suffer the other - which is totally incorrect - but just where my head was at.

regardless - I'm seeing a lot more posts about nipple tenderness/pain and swollen chests these days.

duggan01

Reaction score
I had surgery to remove gyno last week. I had been taking propecia for about 5 years. I noticed a lump around my left nipple last fall. Went to the dr., had biopsy - gyno. Lump was growing like crazy and hurt. Became very noticeable in clothes.

I stopped the propecia about a month ago. Hair loss hasn't really changed yet. I'm going to give it a couple of months to see what happens.

Sexual side effects were also really kicking in with the propecia. Since I've stopped there's a big difference.

CAF

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
duggan01 said:
. . . I had surgery to remove gyno last week.. . .

Sorry to hear all that. Are you going w/ a strictly topical regime now - or just packing it in?

duggan01

Reaction score
Ideally, for me, the propecia wasn't really doing much and my hairloss will not increase...But that probably won't be the case.

I'll try to figure out what topical stuff is really working for people. I dread rogaine and other treatment that takes lots of time and money.

CAF

DontWannaBeLikeMike

Established Member
Reaction score
duggan01 said:
I had surgery to remove gyno last week. I had been taking propecia for about 5 years. I noticed a lump around my left nipple last fall. Went to the dr., had biopsy - gyno. Lump was growing like crazy and hurt. Became very noticeable in clothes.

Did you gain fat in the chest area then get gyno? Did you have puffy nipples while on finasteride? How much did it cost to remove the gyno and was it just one side or both?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
DontWannaBeLikeMike said:
hair_tomorrow, what did you do about your gyno?

Well back in '99 or 2000, I saw a picture of me by the pool (after 8 months on 1mg proscar daily) - and I was shocked that all of a sudden I had gone from a flat-chested male to a male w/ boobs. I got off finasteride immediately. Never really had that lump in my breast - but definitely developed enlarged breasts. They grew so gradually over those 8 months that I really didn't notice - although I was experiencing the nipple burn.

I worked out, excersized - but the boobs remain.

5 years later and a lotta hair loss later, I'm back on a reduced finasteride dose and 1ml of arimedix (e-blocker) every other day. By week 6 the nipple burn returned. And I could swear I felt a lump. Dropped down to 1mg proscar every 3 days.

Stopped arimedix, and Just started nolvadex daily, and cranked the proscar back up to 1 mg every other day. If it all works out, I'll get off the nolvadex and back on arimedix by the end of the summer.

Unfortunately - I don't respond to any topicals - but had great regrowth from proscar. Unfortunately - I also experienced most of the negative sides one could experience. I lived w/ the sexual sides because my hair was regrowing. I didn't realize my breasts were growing too.

Oh - and I'm also on week 2 of a daily topical anti-fat cream. There's been at least 1 testimonial from some forum member somewhere that this stuff worked worked for him. So I'll stay on that for awhile too. Expensive and smells like super strong minty ben-gay.

(have I gone over the top yet?)

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Not many people develop It's called self-selection bias. It confounds any extrapolation. People only go on forums to complain and these are the people with side effects.

D.

Nice post drinkRum!!! Truer words were never spoken!! It's human nature to complain when something goes wrong, no one ever talks about things going right. I have been in the customer service field for years. No one EVER calls to just say " Thank You, Your product is great" They call to say " You suck and I'm pissed"

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
md2002 said:
drinkrum said:
Not many people develop It's called self-selection bias. It confounds any extrapolation. People only go on forums to complain and these are the people with side effects.

D.

Nice post drinkRum!!! Truer words were never spoken!! It's human nature to complain when something goes wrong, no one ever talks about things going right. I have been in the customer service field for years. No one EVER calls to just say " Thank You, Your product is great" They call to say " You suck and I'm pissed"

Well for my part - I'm not complaining - just reporting and sharing.

And md2002, Thank you. Your post was great. :D