Gynecomastia with Finasteride - Any advice please?

SuperCNJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been taking finasteride for almost 2 years now and it had stabilised my hair loss very well although I didn't realise it at first. I recently tried a topical serum as well which in combination significantly reduced my hair loss further. However, a few months ago I noticed that my chest was getting ever so slightly bigger. At first, I put it down to sitting at my desk and working from home during the pandemic where I gained a bit of weight (a few kilos) but I gradually became convinced that it is not just fat as I have been at this weight before - although I am not 100% sure.

Anyway, as I was seeing very little hair loss at the time I decided to change my finasteride dosage to see if it helped with my chest getting bigger. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake. I initially reduced it down to 1mg every 3-4 days and within two weeks my shedding increased massively, perhaps 3-4 times as much as before. So I gradually increased my dosage back up to 1mg every other day then up to 0.5mg daily since about 6 weeks ago. My shedding has stabilised again but I'm shedding twice as much as I did before I started changing my dosage. The reason I went down to 0.5mg was because I read that this amount is still quite effective at blocking DHT and may reduce the side effects such as gynecomastia.

I understand that gynecomastia is caused by an increased level of estrogen from taking finasteride, but I have been wondering if there are ways to reduce estrogen to counter this effect. I recently looked into supplements to help with my vision and came across Lutein which is a very common supplement for vision with a lot of other benefits backed by scientific studies. Apparently one of the benefits is a potential reduction in estrogen levels which made me think whether this would be a good idea to take, particularly given it is a natural supplement to reduce gynecomastia from finasteride.

I am wondering if anyone has any views or knowledge on this as I am desperately trying to find ways not to have to decide between hair or man boobs.

I did consider using topical finasteride but it just doesn't fit with me for various reasons.

Any help would be much appreciated!

SuperCNJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try DIM it regulates estrogen, works well. You can get it online.
That's interesting - I never knew about DIM and will look into it. Thanks

When you say it works well, do you have experience with it helping with finasteride induced gynecomastia specifically or other estrogen imbalance issues?