Gwas For Male-pattern Baldness Identifies 71 Susceptibility Loci Explaining 38% Of The Risk | HairLossTalk Forums

Gwas For Male-pattern Baldness Identifies 71 Susceptibility Loci Explaining 38% Of The Risk

Discussion in 'Hair Loss and Alopecia Published Studies' started by Armando Jose, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Armando Jose

Armando Jose Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5691155/

Abstract of the recent study about hairloss and genetics
    Male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness) or androgenetic alopecia is one of the most common conditions affecting men, reaching a prevalence of ~50% by the age of 50; however, the known genes explain little of the heritability. Here, we present the results of a genome-wide association study including more than 70,000 men, identifying 71 independently replicated loci, of which 30 are novel. These loci explain 38% of the risk, suggesting that male pattern baldness is less genetically complex than other complex traits. We show that many of these loci contain genes that are relevant to the pathology and highlight pathways and functions underlying baldness. Finally, despite only showing genome-wide genetic correlation with height, pathway-specific genetic correlations are significant for traits including lifespan and cancer. Our study not only greatly increases the number of male pattern baldness loci, illuminating the genetic architecture, but also provides a new approach to disentangling the shared biological pathways underlying complex diseases.

2. ElTioLaBota

ElTioLaBota Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I havent understood any single word of your post

3. NewUser

NewUser Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    They are curious as to how male pattern baldness correlates to more genetically complex diseases, like heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes etc. The information gleaned by this research will be submitted to the UK Biobank, a repository of medical knowledge for the benefit of public research. It's all good.

4. cocona

cocona Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Amen.