Guys, look here

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
I read something very interesting in the newspaper this morning, I mean VERY interesting, The article said that american scientists have found the gene that is causing male pattern baldness, tests on mice have confirmed that this gene is the one. I know that everyone of you will say that I lie, but I'm in the same boat as you guys, I am too suspicious about it, but if it's true, this is very good news. But I still find it hard to believe.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
it may be bullshit, but I read it in a newspaper, doubt that they write bullshit stories there.

ChiaHead

Established Member
Reaction score
Finding the gene is only the 1st step. Its when the develop the antidote for male pattern baldness that ill be excited.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for the article on the internet, I mean, something like that should be groundbreaking news, I found the article in a swedish newsaper called Metro, I'm still searching for a online version

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought this was in the news about a month ago?

G

I think i read an article about this many months ago on yahoo news and they even posted videos if i remember correctly, this is exciting news.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Eh, it is progress, but it's not GREAT news. Sure, some Doctor somewhere figured out that male pattern baldness is caused by a 'defect' in gene 34213G on chromosome 4. Hate to tell you all, but THAT is the easy part. The hard part is going into EVERY cell on your scalp, all 53 Gagillion of them, take OUT the defective 34213G gene on chromosome 4 (and do this without damaging the active protein synthesis going on... and keep in mind that this is not cut and paste work that you can do with a science class microscope, we are talking electron microscopy work here which means you better be pretty damned perfect with your snipping), and then replacing each of the defective genes in each cell with a brand new shiny David Schimmer-like 34213G gene.

Oh, and if you f*** up and do something wrong, you might give yourself cancer, or start growing blue hair, or even worse you might start growing antlers. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the HARD part.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Kenneth said:
They will probably find a way to cope with that too :D

I hope they do. I'll pop open a bottle of very expensive champagne when they cure our disease.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
They will, technology advances constantly, new inventions that we can't imagine today is a reality tomorrow. I mean 25 years ago, we only had minoxidil 2%, and look what we have today, imagine the next 25 years, it's just a matter of time, nothing is impossible (only faster-than-light travels)

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think the cure will ever involve mechanical, tedious processes.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ill have to agree with Kenneth on this one

Technology is growing to fast for us to ignore a cure.I mean in the last 25 years we have come a long way........whether it being the George Foreman Grill or the toilets with heated seats.sh*t we even have machines you can buy at Brookstone that cut your grass and vacuum you house without you even being there.

Cures are like puzzles....sooner or later someone figures them out.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
blue said:
Ill have to agree with Kenneth on this one

Technology is growing to fast for us to ignore a cure.I mean in the last 25 years we have come a long way........whether it being the George Foreman Grill or the toilets with heated seats.sh*t we even have machines you can buy at Brookstone that cut your grass and vacuum you house without you even being there.

Cures are like puzzles....sooner or later someone figures them out.

Exactly, the cure will be here soon, just a matter of time, todays treatments will only buy us time to the day that the real cure is out. A red letter day for all male pattern baldness sufferers.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
yeh ok but realistically..when this cure comes out in 25 years, for the sake of argument, most of us will be coming up to 50 or already be passed that. during our youth we will still be balding, so its not much help to us, although it will be for the younger generation of course. and wont we probably all be totally bald by then anyway? and when it first comes out the treatment would surely cost silly amounts of money.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, for people that are young will benefit the most from future treatments. Well it will probably be veeery expensive, but it would be wrong to pay so much money, if they really care for the people who suffers from male pattern baldness, they would'nt care about money so much, because if they are sure about their things, they would'nt worry about not getting enough dollars. Thats why I'm so suspicious about Propecia

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe they are working today on changing the structure of viruses, that if they are injected into humans, will "rewrite" the function of certain cells. The viruses "hijack" the cell and tell it what to do. In third world locations, they are even considering releasing genetically altered mosquitos to combat malaria. After the 'squiter bites, it will inject the antibody for malaria thus giving immunity to the victim. Currently they use something similiar for kids who are lacking Human Growth Hormone. They inject bacteria who's genes have been altered to produce the Human Growth Hormone and "poof", now the body produces the hormone by itself with the help of genetically altered bacteria. Amazing. Maybe someday, they can inject a "virus" into male pattern baldness folks where all of those male pattern baldness attributes can be fixed by the invading "virus".

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
shineydome is right...last year i read numerous articles including articles in time magazine that explained how this is how they are genetically treating alzheimers disease for the first time...although its still experimental its still gene therapy