Gun rights

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Contrary to what primus says, I don't think in rugby the clock is stopped after tackles. The ref blows the whistle and tells the players to back off and the game resumes immediately. It's the same in football. The ref blows the whistle and players back off immediately...

From what you are saying, in American football, rather than backing off your players actually keep jumping on the player holding the ball... Why don't they just make an effort to back off immediately?

They _do_ do that, generally. Nobody's going to be tempted to cheat (at least, not too much) with some rough stuff or illegal stuff, if he knows a referee is standing right there in the area, looking at him.

But the main function of a referee in a case like that is to whistle the play dead, when in his opinion (the opinion of the referee), the player with the ball has reached his maximum forward progress, or his knee has inadvertently touched the ground, or somebody has committed a foul, etc. In other words, there are too many things going on in the game of football for the players to "police themseleves" on the playing field. Do you see what I'm saying? The referees on the field are the impartial BOSSES of the game; they're there to call the shots fairly and impartially, and keep things under tight control. They're definitely not going to let the lads go out there and play for 90 minutes, governing THEMSELVES on the playing field! :woot:

ali777 said:
This is where our culture differs. We like that continuous play, and we get annoyed at players that intentionally waste time.

This whole concept of "continuous play" that you keep talking about is pretty irrelevant, anyway. Soccer is smoothly "continuous" only because of the extreme difficulty of scoring a goal. Sometimes the players might go back and forth and back and forth for 30 minutes at a time before someone FINALLY scores a goal.

But such is not the case with football, where things OF NECESSITY must proceed slightly more intermittently. I mean, come on....just the simple act of picking yourself up off the ground and getting back up on the line of scrimmage again is going to take at least a few seconds, right there! :)

ali777 said:
We prefer goals to be scored as part of a fluent game, rather than in set plays. Set plays are part of football as well, and half the goals are probably scored in set plays but from supporters point of view, we prefer goals scored in open play.

I don't know what all that means.

ali777 said:
PS2: lots of players suffer broken legs, it's a misconception that there is no tackling in football.

Let's put it this way: there's no DELIBERATE tackling in soccer (at least for the most part). In football, it's a fully legal and accepted part of the game. If you don't tackle in the game of football, you're not gonna win any games!

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan, wait a few months till I have some spare money... I'll jump on the plane and come to watch The Rangers with you, or whatever your local football team is, so that you get the chance to explain what excites you about the game... Then we can go to an Irish pub or something and watch a game of soccer, and I'll tell you about the beautiful game.

Going back and forth like this is pointless...

PS: I have seen a few Super Bowls just for the sake of it.. The food my American friends prepared was worth staying up for.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Let's put it this way: there's no DELIBERATE tackling in soccer (at least for the most part).

That is just not true. Tacking is essential in football or they will just walk the ball into the net. You can be physical, but the rule is you have to play the ball first. It is a very skilful sport. Some players are great a tackling and never need to be physical, (Ferdinand) some players are great at tackling but like to be physical (John Terry).

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:

I will have accomplished my goal here (pun intended) if I've done nothing else except explain some of the very basic principles of football to you. When I saw you make the following statement: "From our point of view, your stops and goes are just silly. We will never understand why you have to stop the game in such scenario", I stared at my video monitor with mouth agape. I hope you now understand at least that ONE aspect of the game of football. I'm sure you still don't grok the rest of it, but I'll be satisfied with that much.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Bryan said:
Let's put it this way: there's no DELIBERATE tackling in soccer (at least for the most part).

That is just not true. Tacking is essential in football or they will just walk the ball into the net. You can be physical, but the rule is you have to play the ball first.

HUH?? When I use the word "tackle", I'm talking about jumping on someone and knocking him to the ground. Is THAT legal in the game of soccer? :mrgreen:

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
ali777 said:

I will have accomplished my goal here (pun intended) if I've done nothing else except explain some of the very basic principles of football to you. When I saw you make the following statement: "From our point of view, your stops and goes are just silly. We will never understand why you have to stop the game in such scenario", I stared at my video monitor with mouth agape. I hope you now understand at least that ONE aspect of the game of football. I'm sure you still don't grok the rest of it, but I'll be satisfied with that much.

Dude, you started it :whistle:

I agree to disagree with you... We have a cultural difference. We look at it differently. We are used to a sport where the clock doesn't stop and you like your clock being used for every tackle.

You have to understand that our rules are universal. I can call a few friends and organise a full-scale 11-vs-11 game, whenever I want to. We'll play with the same rules as in the professional game. However, you can't just pick up the phone and organise a NFL like game with your friends.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HUH?? When I use the word "tackle", I'm talking about jumping on someone and knocking him to the ground. Is THAT legal in the game of soccer? :mrgreen:

Ahhh...you mean a Rugby Tackle. Why would anyone want to do a Rugby Tackle in a game of Football. Defeats the purpose of Football. If you did a Rugby Tackle in a game of Football, it would then become a different sport, and people would stop watching it and create a new sport that used tackling with feet... :woot:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I agree to disagree with you... We have a cultural difference. We look at it differently. We are used to a sport where the clock doesn't stop and you like your clock being used for every tackle.

The irony here is that in the game of football, most of the time the clock doesn't even stop after a tackle, unless a "first down" was scored on the play....then the clock stops briefly, just long enough for the referees to move the chains. But every single play, the play itself always stops, after each and every one.

ali777 said:
You have to understand that our rules are universal. I can call a few friends and organise a full-scale 11-vs-11 game, whenever I want to. We'll play with the same rules as in the professional game.

Really? With referees? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Bryan said:

Ahhh...you mean a Rugby Tackle.

Uhhh.....HELL YES, I meant a rugby tackle! What kind of tackle did you THINK I meant?? :smack: I was clearly referring to American football, in which players are tackled in the FULL BODY way. Jesus Christ...

So do I assume correctly that I was CORRECT in what I originally said? That THERE IS NO TACKLING in the game of soccer?? :)

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
ali777 said:

The irony here is that in the game of football, most of the time the clock doesn't even stop after a tackle, unless a "first down" was scored on the play....then the clock stops briefly, just long enough for the referees to move the chains. But every single play, the play itself always stops, after each and every one.

ali777 said:
You have to understand that our rules are universal. I can call a few friends and organise a full-scale 11-vs-11 game, whenever I want to. We'll play with the same rules as in the professional game.

Really? With referees? :)

Usually, we don't have referees in friendly kick abouts.. We police the game ourselves... Occasionally, there is an a**h** who starts misbehaving but the collective unit prevails.

If we play for a beer, we might ask someone to referee the game for us.... I have played in games with referees as well...

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
optimus prime said:
Bryan said:

Ahhh...you mean a Rugby Tackle.

Uhhh.....HELL YES, I meant a rugby tackle! What kind of tackle did you THINK I meant?? :smack: I was clearly referring to American football, in which players are tackled in the FULL BODY way. Jesus Christ...

So do I assume correctly that I was CORRECT in what I originally said? That THERE IS NO TACKLING in the game of soccer?? :)

It's FOOTBALL... We tackle using our feet..

Again.... apart from an accidental name sharing, your sport has nothing to do with FIFA rules football...

It's a completely different sport..

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan, I'm off to a well known American fast food chain to get some chicken for lunch....

I will NOT post anymore messages on this subject :nono:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
Usually, we don't have referees in friendly kick abouts.. We police the game ourselves... Occasionally, there is an a**hole who starts misbehaving but the collective unit prevails.

Obviously, the same thing is true when we play friendly games of football with friends. No referees, no clocks! :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
It's FOOTBALL... We tackle using our feet..

Yes, but you can't KICK another player with your foot, can you? So I assume there are certain limitations on what you can and cannot do with your feet? If you tried to "tackle" somebody with your foot, how would the referee know that THAT'S what you were trying to do, instead of kick him? Sounds awfully subjective to me...

ali777

Reaction score
I can see why some sections of the American society support the gun rights... Some Americans just don't know when to give up :whistle:

Bryan :bigun2:

Dude, give it up!!!!!!!!

PS: The chicken was nice... I'm gonna have some American ice cream now... yummy..
PS2: What's that about animal fat and hairloss? Would the greasy chicken I had for lunch contribute to my hairloss?

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
Though this was interesting. Also it is interesting how London has tons of security cameras for safety.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jul/16/ukguns1

Criminal gun use 'rose 40% after ban'

* Staff and agencies
* guardian.co.uk, Monday July 16 2001 13.40 BST

... found that the criminal use of handguns went up by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

A study commissioned by the Countryside Alliance's Campaign for Shooting found that the number of crimes that involved a handgun increased from 2,648 in 1997/98 to 3,685 in 1999/2000.

Any takers? :whistle:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I can see why some sections of the American society support the gun rights... Some Americans just don't know when to give up :whistle:

Bryan :bigun2:

Dude, give it up!!!!!!

Dude, take a Valiumâ„¢ and calm down. Nobody's twisting your arm to make you respond here.

BTW, knowledge is a good thing. Be glad you're learning something about the game of football. I'm glad I'm learning about soccer.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since this topic seems to be mostly about football, here's something to chew for Bryan:

Popularsports.PNG

And yeah, it's a crying shame that in Finland ice hockey is actually the most popular sport. Ice hockey is a poor sport, very poor.

ali777

Reaction score
ghg said:
And yeah, it's a crying shame that in Finland ice hockey is actually the most popular sport. Ice hockey is a poor sport, very poor.

You probably know Top Gear? In last week's episode one of the presenters, James May, went to Finland to learn how to drive fast. His personal tutor was Mika Hakkinen. It was nice to see Mika enjoying life. I used to be a supporter of his.

Anyway, they were talking about motorsports and they were saying how it takes 3 years for the Finns to get full drivers license and they have to pass an exam on slippery surface, etc. Basically, the show implied that the Finnish SISU makes the Finns brilliant at motorsports.

If you want to see it for yourself, go to pirate bay and just torrent it. Top Gear is normally very disrespectful of other nations, but they were very complimentary towards the Finns.