Growth Hormone release and exercise

G

Some time ago this question was asked. Here is some research that suggests that certain exercise will help elevante HGH. I also believe that there has been hair regrowth cited in injected HGH subjects. Have NOT seen this reported in a study here HGH is elevanted by exercise.

Interesting!

McCall, G. E., Byrnes, W. C., Fleck, S. J., Dickinson, A., & Kraemer, W. J. (1999). Acute and chronic hormonal responses to resistance training designed to promote muscle hypertrophy. Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, 24, 96-107.

<http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/csa/vol81/dividred.gif>

Weight-trained college men (N = 11) trained three times per week for 12 weeks (an average of 32 sessions). High-volume free weights and exercise-machine resistances were employed.

Forearm flexor 1-RM strength improved by 25%. Hypertrophy in both classes of muscle fibers and overall muscle circumference was observed.

Resting hormone concentrations and the patterns of acute exercise hormonal elevations during the fourth and eighth weeks were not changed by 12 weeks of training. Decreased plasma volume accounted for elevations in testosterone, insulin-like growth factor-I, and sex hormone-binding globulin during exercise. Growth hormone and cortisol remained significantly high when corrected for plasma volume losses. Only the acute exercise-induced growth hormone elevations were correlated with the magnitude of fiber hypertrophy following training.

Implication. Growth hormone stimulated during resistance training influences muscle hypertrophy.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear that hamburger meat is filled with growth hormone. Hey lizzad, descender, bruce, let's go to Wendy's to kill some classic triples!

XL

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd love to go to Wendy's and pig out :lol:

I could easily eat 2 classic triples, a biggie fries, a biggie Coke, and a large Frosty!!

But I can't because I'm on Atkins :(

Lost 30 pounds so far, cant ruin it!

anomal

Reaction score
that atkins is killer man, arnt you only suposed to stay on it 2 weeks at a time though?

G

GodFatherJsg said:
that atkins is killer man, arnt you only suposed to stay on it 2 weeks at a time though?

No, you can stay on as long as you like or can. When you get to the weight you want, you start adding health carbs such as veggies and then nomalize there.

Works!

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah Atkins works! I've been on it for around 3months now.

I've reached a plateau right now with my weight loss which sucks. I think the only thing I can do is eat a few less calories and exercise more intensely. I'm also taking L-Carnitine and Coenzyme-q10 which Dr. Atkins recommends for helping a stall.

I need to lose at least 40 more pounds so I'm working hard!

The reason Atkins works is because I dont go around hungry. My girlfriend does weight watchers and if I had to eat what she ate, I'd be starving to f*****g death! She only takes in around 1500 calories/day!
I eat big *** salads with Ranch and hunks of chicken or fish as big as I want. I also do some low carb pancakes and stuff like that when I need variety from the meat/eggs/lowcarbveggies

On a day when I'm really hungry, I can eat up to 3,000 calories without gaining weight, as long as I stay under 30g carbs. If I stay at around 2000-2500 calories/day with exercise, I lose weight(very slow now but lost very fast first month)

The bottom line is, to lose weight you gotta burn more calories than you take in. However, Atkins can make you do this without feeling like you are suffering.

G

vortex72 said:
Yeah Atkins works! I've been on it for around 3months now.

I've reached a plateau right now with my weight loss which sucks. I think the only thing I can do is eat a few less calories and exercise more intensely. I'm also taking L-Carnitine and Coenzyme-q10 which Dr. Atkins recommends for helping a stall.

I need to lose at least 40 more pounds so I'm working hard!

The reason Atkins works is because I dont go around hungry. My girlfriend does weight watchers and if I had to eat what she ate, I'd be starving to f*****g death! She only takes in around 1500 calories/day!
I eat big *** salads with Ranch and hunks of chicken or fish as big as I want. I also do some low carb pancakes and stuff like that when I need variety from the meat/eggs/lowcarbveggies

On a day when I'm really hungry, I can eat up to 3,000 calories without gaining weight, as long as I stay under 30g carbs. If I stay at around 2000-2500 calories/day with exercise, I lose weight(very slow now but lost very fast first month)

The bottom line is, to lose weight you gotta burn more calories than you take in. However, Atkins can make you do this without feeling like you are suffering.

Vortex--How much do you weigh and what is your goal?

What exercise do you do right now?

Watch for those hidden carbs. Some of these guys play fast and loose with the carb counts. Sugar alchohol and the like.

Best of luck! :)

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
vortex72 said:
I'd love to go to Wendy's and pig out :lol:

I could easily eat 2 classic triples, a biggie fries, a biggie Coke, and a large Frosty!!

But I can't because I'm on Atkins :(

Lost 30 pounds so far, cant ruin it!

That's awesome VX, keep it up!

XL

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Vortex, I do the Atkins thing too. I don't believe there is a faster 'safe' way to lose weight then Atkins and Exercise. But you've been on it for 3 months and still need to lose 40 more lbs? Maybe you should be doing more cardiovascular. I've found I can lose a pound at least every two days, if not faster, if I'm exercising.

All the protein can be a bit harsh on your system. Really I don't recommend to anyone to be on it for more then three months at a time. But just keep taking your vitamins and drinking lots of water and you'll be fine.

And yah, Bruce, you gotta be careful. No sugar, no alcohol. You really have to give up a lot of vices on this diet. But the results cant be beat.

So whats this about growth hormone? It helps grow/maintain hair then? Exercise will help me with my hair loss?

Stingray

Reaction score
I've actually heard that growth hormone in excess can cause some pretty devastating problems...lemme see if I can dig up some info on that subject...

Here's one

Now don't get me wrong, this doesn't prove anything...just in my eyes, it seems that adding a hormone that stimulates body growth in a grown man doesn't sound like it can only be benificial. Since the ears and nose continue to grow until you are dead, adding HGH might cause them to grow at an accelerated pace.

Just my couple o' pennies.

G

Stingray said:
I've actually heard that growth hormone in excess can cause some pretty devastating problems...lemme see if I can dig up some info on that subject...

Here's one

Now don't get me wrong, this doesn't prove anything...just in my eyes, it seems that adding a hormone that stimulates body growth in a grown man doesn't sound like it can only be benificial. Since the ears and nose continue to grow until you are dead, adding HGH might cause them to grow at an accelerated pace.

Just my couple o' pennies.

Exogenous HGH can definitely do some bad things to you. Natually induced GH secretions are another matter.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Which is the type inside the Wendy's classic triples? :(

XL

G

xzellerate said:
Which is the type inside the Wendy's classic triples? :(

XL

That would be exogenous bovine GH which is certainly NOT what God intended for you! :lol:

Stingray

Reaction score
But God's makin' us bald... so it evens itself out :)

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Vortex, I do the Atkins thing too. I don't believe there is a faster 'safe' way to lose weight then Atkins and Exercise. But you've been on it for 3 months and still need to lose 40 more lbs? Maybe you should be doing more cardiovascular. I've found I can lose a pound at least every two days, if not faster, if I'm exercising

I wish I could lose that fast. I lost around 15lbs the first month and another 10 pounds each month the last 2months. Some of it may be related to being older (31) because when I did Atkins before at age 26
I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks!

I know about the hidden carbs Bruce. The only thing I do that Atkins doesnt allow is to subtract fiber carbs from total carbs, but I dont abuse this. I dont do any sugar alcohols. My goal weight is around 210. I can actually get as low as 180, but I'm pretty muscular so I'd be happy with 210.

Cardiovascular exercise is mainly what I do. I think I'm just cursed with a slow metabolism. I run the treadmill or do the cross country machine 30minutes at least 5x/week. My heart rate stays around 150 the whole time I exercise. I do some limited upper body resistance training at least 3 days a week after I do cardio.

Like I said, I think the main thing I need to do is exercise a bit more intensely and try to limit my calories a bit more.

I do drink some splenda drinks and use artifical sweeteners but not Nutra Sweet.

I'm pretty sure most days I stay around 30g carbs but sometimes I might hit 50.

One other thing interesting to note is my ketones. As long as I dont cheat, I'm always showing positive on my ketones. However, I almost never show above trace ketones since I've been doing atkins. When I lost huge amounts on Atkins before, I usually showed mild to moderate ketones. So maybe I am getting some carbs somewhere, or I'm just eating too many calories.

peace

G

If I might make a humble suggestion, up your muscle mass and that will up your resting metabolism. That means more weights and less cardio. work. I did this a number of years ago and never had a weight issue again.

Muscle density is the key! :rockon:

Stingray

Reaction score
I was blessed with a naturally high metabolism. Can eat a whole pizza by myself, and burn the calories going to the fridge for a coke =)

The part that sucks tho is I just can't gain weight :(

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Stingray said:
I was blessed with a naturally high metabolism. Can eat a whole pizza by myself, and burn the calories going to the fridge for a coke =)

The part that sucks tho is I just can't gain weight :(

I'm in your exact same shoes. I am going to implement a new 6 meal a day diet, and hope it keeps my stomach full of food, since I usually got the munchies every half an hour...

XL

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to implement a new 6 meal a day diet, and hope it keeps my stomach full of food, since I usually got the munchies every half an hour...

XL

I hate you guys. I'd love to go pig out at the Chinese buffet and eat whatever the hell I want but I'd be big as a damn house!

As it is now, I'm eating 2,000-2500 calories a day/low carb/moderate fat with regular exercise and still barely losing weight.