Growing hair after 15 years of hibernation

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my story: I’m 40 years old, N3. Started to loose hair when I was 20, stopped at 25.
At that time I tried some of the treatments available (Helsinki Formula, Hair Farm, Etc.). And of course nothing worked, so I just accepted it and learned to live with it.
For some reason my hair loss halted and I’ve been a N3 for 15 years. A year ago after four intestinal surgeries (they had to cut 36 inches) I decided I wanted to change a few things in my life. I started weightlifting, running, eat a healthy diet, stopped smoking, and decided I wanted to maintain the hair I had left.

So I began to take propecia after talking to my dermatologist, gastroenterologist and my surgeon. I was also taking supplements for the weightlifting and rosacea I developed after living the hospital. I just took the propecia (switched to proscar 1.25mg after visiting this forum) and didn’t think much about it. Well after 8 months I noticed some small terminal hairs on my temples. Of course I got excited, I wasn’t expecting this.

The growth was very slow so I got greedy and wanted to accelerate and improve things so I started on Rogaine 5% four months ago, then after one year on Propecia I switched to Avodart, added Folligen, Emu oil, Nano shampoo and MSM (the whole enchilada). Well now I’m growing new hairs and faster. I think at this rate it could take maybe between 6 months and a year (if the growing continues) to see some cosmetic change.

I never had any side effects from Propecia, minoxidil and Avodart. I think propecia (and maybe Avodart) is a great drug, it got rid of my acne (yes I had acne at 39) completely, I always had oily scalp/hair, not any more. I still have a morning wood every day. No sheds.

I hope this isn’t to long. Anyway my question is “How come I’m growing after 15 years? I’m sure many follicles are dead and some most be dormant and I will never be a Norwood 1 or 1.5 again. If I don’t grow any more that’s OK, if I do, they are always welcome. Let’s see what happens in 6 months.
[/code][/i]

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm always happy to hear when someone has success growing hair on already smooth area of bald scalp. It just shows that hair follicles never truly die but remain dormant waiting for some change in body chemistry that will enable them to grow again. Happy for you m8.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if you are right and all of my follicles remained dormant this could become a success story. Thank you

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It already sounds like a success to me.

Keep with it, and goodluck, my friend.

If Avodart isn't your cup of tea, switch back to Propecia.

If you're having success like this (usually, Propecia works on younger one's the best: 18, 19, etc.), then you can expect good maintenance and regrowth for the rest of your life.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I started taking Propecia I knew this 19 year old guy who was my girlfriend’s friend, he was balding very badly and he told me he was starting on Propecia , after maybe a year or so I saw him again and he regrew back his crown hairline and temples.

That was before I discovered this forum and I didn’t know that much about the drug but I became a believer.

I think it’s not only the drugs that matter. It’s a state of mind.
It’s not healthy to become obsessive and depressed about the whole thing (It happens to everyone and that´s normal because hair loss is traumatic, no one wants to be bald) but it’s not the end of the world or your existence.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
Your regime is pretty big...and it seems to be working.

Mind me asking how much money do you spend per month on the products?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Really hope it works for you - this story is very inspiring. I agree with Apoc, and also with something another poster (Holyhair) said - each hair is its own individual. You just have to make it worth their while.

Your avatar is a scream. Laughed out loud.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Lets see:
-Avodart 3x weekly: (30 capsules = 10 weeks = 2.5 months) 55 / 2.5 = $22.00
-Spectral DNC: $36.00 + Shipping. It´s the most expensive of them all (Maybe I’ll use it just in the mornings and Kirkland minoxidil in the evenings.
-Nizoral: $15.00 (2 x Weekly, lasts 3 months) 15 / 3 = $5.00
-Nano Shampoo: $40.00 + Shipping (Nizoral=4oz=3months then Nano=8oz=6months) 40 / 6 = $6.50
-Folligen: $30.00 + Shipping. (8oz = 240ml, 4ml weekly. 240/4=60weeks/4=15months)
30 / 15 = $2.00
-Emu Oil (Skin Biology)=$30.00 + Shipping. (2oz I only apply 4 drops every evening 1ml=20 drops, 1ml=5 days=6ml. month=10 months) 30/10=$3.00
-Retin-A: $13.00 (You have to apply it very sparingly. One pea size should be enough for all your face. I only use it on my temples & hairline. I’ve been using the same tube for 5 months and still have 50% left. It should last maybe 10 months) 13/10=$1.30

-Multivitamin: $13.60 / 3 months = $4.50
-Fish Oil (Kirkland): $14.00 (x 400 softgels / 2 x daily = 6.6 months.) 14/6.6=$2.12
-Evening Primrose Oil (Barleans): $27.00 (2 x daily. 120 softgels. 120/2=60=2 months)
27/2=$13.50
-MSM (Natures Way): $11.00 (x 200 caps. 3 x daily. Around 2 months) 11/2= $ 5.50
-Vitamin C: $8.00 (x 90 tabs. 3 x daily = 3 months) 8/3=$2.66

Total = $104.80 + per month (ups, I never added it all before, but…. I used to smoke around 30 cigarettes a day, that’s $3.00 a day x 30 = $90.00 a month, so this is a much better investment.

G

finasteride got rid of my acne too, even though people on here say it's not possible. It is truly an amazing drug. So is avodart.

congratulations on the regrowth

powersam

Reaction score
he's just on avodart, propecia has an end date on his regimen.

are you using both minoxidil and spectral dnc twice a day? wouldnt that mean you were using minoxidil 4 times a day as spectral dnc has 5% minoxidil ? it also has retin A which you are using separately as well. have you experienced any irritation from the retin a?

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
finasteride got rid of my acne too, even though people on here say it's not possible. It is truly an amazing drug. So is avodart.

congratulations on the regrowth

yeh me too, i didnt have acne but my forehead is so clear now!

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Fallout Boy

I took Propecia for one year then changed to Avodart. I’ve been on Avodart for about 1.5 months. I started loading with 1.5mg for ten days, and I’ve been taking it 3 x weekly (MWF). Now I can see more dark colored hairs coming out, something in my regimen is speeding things up but I don’t know if it’s the minoxidil (4 months) or it may be the Avodart (only 1.5 months).

Powersam

I used Rogaine for four months, two weeks ago I switched to Spectral DNC (2 x daily). I still have four bottles of Kirkland minoxidil left which I intend to use in the evenings and the Spectral in the mornings because It’s to expensive.

G

Fallout Boy said:
Youre taking Propecia AND Avodart?? at the same time? or just Avodart?

nothing wrong with doing that if you doubt the authenticity of the avodart. otherwise it's kind of a waste.

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
Strat54 said:
Lets see:
-Avodart 3x weekly: (30 capsules = 10 weeks = 2.5 months) 55 / 2.5 = $22.00
-Spectral DNC: $36.00 + Shipping. It´s the most expensive of them all (Maybe I’ll use it just in the mornings and Kirkland minoxidil in the evenings.
-Nizoral: $15.00 (2 x Weekly, lasts 3 months) 15 / 3 = $5.00
-Nano Shampoo: $40.00 + Shipping (Nizoral=4oz=3months then Nano=8oz=6months) 40 / 6 = $6.50
-Folligen: $30.00 + Shipping. (8oz = 240ml, 4ml weekly. 240/4=60weeks/4=15months)
30 / 15 = $2.00
-Emu Oil (Skin Biology)=$30.00 + Shipping. (2oz I only apply 4 drops every evening 1ml=20 drops, 1ml=5 days=6ml. month=10 months) 30/10=$3.00
-Retin-A: $13.00 (You have to apply it very sparingly. One pea size should be enough for all your face. I only use it on my temples & hairline. I’ve been using the same tube for 5 months and still have 50% left. It should last maybe 10 months) 13/10=$1.30

-Multivitamin: $13.60 / 3 months = $4.50
-Fish Oil (Kirkland): $14.00 (x 400 softgels / 2 x daily = 6.6 months.) 14/6.6=$2.12
-Evening Primrose Oil (Barleans): $27.00 (2 x daily. 120 softgels. 120/2=60=2 months)
27/2=$13.50
-MSM (Natures Way): $11.00 (x 200 caps. 3 x daily. Around 2 months) 11/2= $ 5.50
-Vitamin C: $8.00 (x 90 tabs. 3 x daily = 3 months) 8/3=$2.66

Total = $104.80 + per month (ups, I never added it all before, but…. I used to smoke around 30 cigarettes a day, that’s $3.00 a day x 30 = $90.00 a month, so this is a much better investment.

i don't see saw palmetto in your list above but it's still in your "regimen"-profile. Are you still using it? I think saw palmetto AND Avodart are plain overkill, altough saw palmetto WITH Propecia makes sense because saw palmetto can mildly block type1 5 alpha reductase (speculation ofcourse, you have to watch out on this forum...)

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
science-jay

I took saw palmetto from Nov/05 till Jun/06.

It’s on the list because “maybeâ€￾ it helped a little bit.

I agree with you, there’s no point in taking it with Avodart.[/quote]

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn’t want to start a new topic, but here’s a little Update…..

I try not to watch my hairline and temples very often, so when I do I can see if there’s any progress.

Well today I can see that the little dark hairs in my temples are definitely larger and some new ones are sprouting out.

I’m also so horny, I mean It’s like being 17 years old again. I’m having morning-noon-evening & night woods. Sometimes when I see a girl that I like, kaboom—liftoff!

I think minoxidil is starting to kick-in.

Is possible for Avodart to start working after nearly two months?

But anyway, I took a couple of pictures when I first saw dark hairs growing up. If the harvest continues to grow, one day I’ll place them together with new ones.

beaner

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Fallout Boy said:

nothing wrong with doing that if you doubt the authenticity of the avodart. otherwise it's kind of a waste.

Jayman...how will you ever be certain that your Dutas is real if you are taking both? I have no doubt that it is real dutasteride, but how are you going to make this determination if you are using both drugs?

G

beaner said:
JayMan said:
Fallout Boy said:

Jayman...how will you ever be certain that your Dutas is real if you are taking both? I have no doubt that it is real dutasteride, but how are you going to make this determination if you are using both drugs?

hey beaner,

why do you have no doubt that it is real? i too am about 99% certain but am unsure as to how you know it is 100% real.

If you can convince me then I will stop the finasteride.